Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Choosing the right slip on

6K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Sly Raskal 
#1 ·
I'm having a hard time choosing a slip on for my lime green ninja 300. I want something that is not to noisy, but still makes a lot more noise than the stock muffler of course. I dont want it to be so noisy that it bothers me on long rides though, and I dont want something that makes my neighboors hate the guts out of me, just a little bit of hate would be fine! I only want to get a slip on for the sound, not for any change in power, so I'd rather have a slip on that does as little as possible to the power band, though I dont mind if it adds another horse or two as long as it doesn't screw up the low end. Also if I have to do any other mods like power controler to get it to run smooth, it's no good for me, as it fucks up the resale value, and believe it or not, a new ninja 300 in Norway costs the equivilent of just about 13 000 USD, and a power controller would mess up my resale value.
I've been looking into Two brothers, Akrapovic and yoshimura, but judging the real sound of a slip on is really hard to do through videos on youtube, and it barely gives me a clue of the noise output. I really like the sound of the 2bros and yoshimura over the videos Ive seen, but Ive heard they can be really loud. I struggle to find a lot of information about the akra though. Can anyone who has an akra on their ninja share their opinion on it? Are there any other slip ons I should consider to maybe?

Some good answers would be much appreciated :)

See less See more
#2 ·
there is no right or wrong with slip ons or even full exhaust system, they all much are the same, the diference is the shape of it, so get what ever you want that will make you giggle and have butterflies when you see it everyday...

#4 ·
obiously, a full exhaust will have more performance upgrade since is a full pipe with not catalytic converter but without a tune, you cant bring the full power out of that system, plus if you run a full exhaust without tune, you are running lean and can hurt the engine in the long run,
all the full exhaust are full leght pipe with no catalitic and a muffler with no restriccions, the difference maybe is the shape of the can and the diameter/bend shapes of the pipes.
a slip on, is just a muffler with no restriccions, some come with a dbkiller (something to put at the end of the exhaust to quiet it alittle) like the yoshi ones...
From areaP dyno run, a slip on will not yield any, well maybe 0.5hp, but that is basically nothing.

#6 · (Edited)
in my opinion, M4, yoshi, area p and two brothers are the one that sound good but not fart can loud, but that is just my opinion
:edit:, for got to put akrapovic there, that is one that sounds the best imo

#11 ·
any slipon you drop on your bike you will most certainly notice the power drop under 7 grand as it leans out.

not all slipons sound the same, depends on their shape/size/packing material on the inside - if any at all.

if you drop on a slip on, also put on a "tuner" of some kind be it power commander 5 or what ever to fix the power curve

#13 ·
I wouldn't mind spending over 500 USD on a slip on, like I said, the bike cost me like 13 000 USD because of Norwegian taxes, but I could get a slip on for the same price as in the us by getting my brother who's in cali to order it for me then repack it and send it as a ''gift''

If I have to put on a power commander or anything like that along with the slip on, it's a dealbreaker for me. In Norway, slip ons are okay, but power commanders rape the resale value.

#14 ·
If I have to put on a power commander or anything like that along with the slip on, it's a dealbreaker for me. In Norway, slip ons are okay, but power commanders rape the resale value.

the keep the stock exhaust. when you sell the bike, put the stock exhaust on & remove the power commander as well & sell them on ebay or whatever & get some dollars back that way

#20 ·
nope.wont cause your motor any damage, it will have a greater loss of power though because you havent put a "tuner" be it power commander 5 or similar on, but you wont kill the motor though

#21 ·
I noticed the power commander site doesn't have a map listed for our bike and the Akrapovic exhaust. What do you do in a situation like that? Do you have to make your own map? Forced to use the auto tune module? Or, contact them to request a map for that setup?

I'm new to tuning for bikes so please forgive my ignorance on this subject matter.

#25 ·
I noticed the power commander site doesn't have a map listed for our bike and the Akrapovic exhaust. What do you do in a situation like that? Do you have to make your own map? Forced to use the auto tune module? Or, contact them to request a map for that setup?

I'm new to tuning for bikes so please forgive my ignorance on this subject matter.
As the Akra is just a slip on, there will be no different map from what I know for that particular brand compared to others, as the power levels remain at a constant. Any of the slip on maps that they have available will suit fine. As far as I know the only maps that differ will be for the full systems as the flow and diameter characteristics of the full system headers will vary slightly from one manufacturer to another and will produce slightly differing results.

For a slip on, the map that Dynojet have available will suffice for what you need, I wouldnt go an autotune even with a full system, that money would be better spent having it fine tuned to your particular specs and mods on a dyno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.