Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
haha, I'm not exactly trying to get rid of them. Don't mind them being there at all, just have an urge to get lower and lower on my lean angles and one way to tell is obviously by inspecting the chicken strips.

There are a few nice roads I have come across in my travels outside of sydney with my bike that have a high enough speed limit to corner with a sufficient lean angle.

That reminds me.. if the speed limit on a stretch of road is for e.g. 80km/h, and the sign just before the bend says 65km/h, which one is the actual regulated speed?

·
Registered
174 Posts
My shoe scraping the ground lol (Not sitting on the balls of my feet which I know is incorrect body position). Only got the bit past the tread pattern on stock tires to go (on left side).
Haha I was more like referring to the sensations of the lean angle at speed on the bike.

But wow, I cant even imagine getting so low as to scrape my knee or shoe! Must be frightening. But still, I'm down to try it some day.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
haha, I'm not exactly trying to get rid of them. Don't mind them being there at all, just have an urge to get lower and lower on my lean angles and one way to tell is obviously by inspecting the chicken strips.

There are a few nice roads I have come across in my travels outside of sydney with my bike that have a high enough speed limit to corner with a sufficient lean angle.

That reminds me.. if the speed limit on a stretch of road is for e.g. 80km/h, and the sign just before the bend says 65km/h, which one is the actual regulated speed?
You have to obey the posted speed for the curve. Otherwise you can get a ticket along the lines of traveling too fast for conditions, or maybe just a speeding ticket.. Either way, that corner speed is a posted speed limit..

Doesn't mean it isn't fun to double the posted corner speed ;)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
For the new riders, dont get caught up with this.

Ride in your comfort zone. If your built in O-Shit meter is going off, listen to it.

Not reason to lay down your bike and get injured just for bragging rights.

Also, the person with the DR II comment is dead on. Due to the more agressive shape of the tire, it will be harder to get to the edge.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts

The actual regulated speed is 80km/hr, the 65km/hr speed is an advisory speed. Advisory speeds arent enforced speed limits, just exactly that.....advised speed limit through that particular portion.

Read here, taken straight from Wiki:

An advisory speed limit is a speed limit that is recommended by a governing body, but is not enforced. Advisory speed limits are often set in areas with many pedestrians, such as in city centres and outside schools, and on difficult stretches of roads, such as on tight corners or through roadworks. While travelling above the advisory speed limit is not an offence, liability for any accidents that occur as a result of traveling above the limit can be placed partially or entirely on the person exceeding the advisory speed limit.
Signposting of advisory speed limits varies from country to country; Australia makes extensive use of advisory speed limits across its highway networks while the Richtgeschwindigkeit ("reference speed") in Germany is valid for the whole Autobahn network (but can be overruled by minimum speeds and speed limits), while the United States and the United Kingdom only give advisory speed limits for hazards such as bends.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
For the new riders, dont get caught up with this.

Ride in your comfort zone. If your built in O-Shit meter is going off, listen to it.

Not reason to lay down your bike and get injured just for bragging rights.

Also, the person with the DR II comment is dead on. Due to the more agressive shape of the tire, it will be harder to get to the edge.
o-shit meter.. Is that your street slang for Keith code's "SR's"? Lol..

Better to focus on proper entry/exit speed, throttle control, and body position than chicken strips which don't mean a damn thing, a very arbitrary way of measuring badassness.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
The actual regulated speed is 80km/hr, the 65km/hr speed is an advisory speed. Advisory speeds arent enforced speed limits, just exactly that.....advised speed limit through that particular portion.

Read here, taken straight from Wiki:

An advisory speed limit is a speed limit that is recommended by a governing body, but is not enforced. Advisory speed limits are often set in areas with many pedestrians, such as in city centres and outside schools, and on difficult stretches of roads, such as on tight corners or through roadworks. While travelling above the advisory speed limit is not an offence, liability for any accidents that occur as a result of traveling above the limit can be placed partially or entirely on the person exceeding the advisory speed limit.
Signposting of advisory speed limits varies from country to country; Australia makes extensive use of advisory speed limits across its highway networks while the Richtgeschwindigkeit ("reference speed") in Germany is valid for the whole Autobahn network (but can be overruled by minimum speeds and speed limits), while the United States and the United Kingdom only give advisory speed limits for hazards such as bends.
Aus is weird. Lol.

Edit, just read the part about different countries.

We'd get a ticket pretty quick around here for disobeying those corner speeds. I know people who have..

·
Registered
141 Posts
First time hills riding. Around 200kms riding experience.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeh I thought they were just advisory speed limits and aren't enforced. I just wonder what a police officer would do if they see me go through a bend at the speed limit (80km/hr) at the maximum lean angle possible, where this road has an advisory speed limit of 55km/hr.

Yeh I totally agree that entry/exit speeds , throttle /body control is most important.
I do also get curious to know if that does translate to less chicken strips. I suppose it really depends.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Here you can get a speeding ticket anytime the cop feels you are traveling at an unsafe speed,even if you are well below the limit. It is called the basic speed law.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Here you can get a speeding ticket anytime the cop feels you are traveling at an unsafe speed,even if you are well below the limit. It is called the basic speed law.
How does that work? Or are you talking about getting a ticket for travelling too far below the posted speed limit therefore creating a hazard?

We have similar here in Oz, but really only applies to freeways/highways......from memory it is something like no slower than 30km/hr under the posted limit. Never have I ever heard of it being applied though.

Geez it seems like you could get a ticket for simply farting upwind in CA.......... :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
VC section 22350. "No person shall drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent having due regard for weather, visibility, the traffic on, and the surface and width of, the highway, and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property."

·
Registered
174 Posts
I go 80km/hr in a 110km/hr free way since I'm on my L's.

I really do hope this is an exception and I'm not avoiding freeways because I am limited to 80km/hr. I do use the very left lane.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I go 80km/hr in a 110km/hr free way since I'm on my L's.

I really do hope this is an exception and I'm not avoiding freeways because I am limited to 80km/hr. I do use the very left lane.
I'm not from where you are so things might vary a bit.
Word of mouth around where I live is you do around 80 in the left,100 in the middle and 120 in the right type of thing.if someone is behind you and right up your ass and you're in the middle or right lane then move over and let him go.
If he wants to race around then rather give him way to go do it far away from you.it must be painful only keeping the bike at 80kph

·
Registered
46 Posts
My Chicken Strips @ 2,000 miles

Just past 2,000 miles.

I Can't lean it any lower without Continuous scraping of the Pegs.
Fastest turn entered so far was about 74 Mph. Look ahead folks! :)

141 - 160 of 189 Posts