Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front caliper mount bolts were just about 1/2 turn beyond finger tight. No lock-tite either. Grab a socket, pull em out, add locking agent and retighten. I forget what tq I used now but as delivered they would probably vibrate out in short order.

Don't chance these coming loose!

·
Registered
865 Posts
oh wow, yeah i'll be checking mine out!
thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Sounds like a dealer setup issue as most bike arrive in the crate with the front wheel off the bike. But DEF worth 30 seconds to check them out.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Ah ha.... Good on Kawi for shipping with wheel on... Bad on Kawi for them being loose.... worse on dealer for not checking during setup and pre delivery...

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Ah ha.... Good on Kawi for shipping with wheel on... Bad on Kawi for them being loose.... worse on dealer for not checking during setup and pre delivery...

Thats why I would make sure both informed of this :)

Just imagine the what would happen if the caliper fell off and you were hurt, or even worse died.. In my opinion the lawsuit against the dealer and Kawai would be just about the easiest one ever! Its not the customers job to tighten the caliper bolts :eek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
You sure the caliper bolts are supposed to have loctite? I know they don't on my CBR. They should be torqued appropriately.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I lock tite all my caliper bolts, MX wrench habit. Safety wire isn't a bad idea either. Kawi may not spec it but I know it won't hurt it.

·
Banned
57 Posts
I have never used LOCTITE on any caliper mounting bolts on any bike in all the time that i have been working on them nor have i pulled ones out from factory and seen any residual loctite or any other anti loosening agent, reason that you do not use loctite on these bolts is because all caliper mounting bolts are a high tensile flanged head bolt allowing the bolt to do away with the use of a washer and still be able to be torqued up to a specification without it coming loose with constant vibration.
One thing i noticed that was not good is i changed my front pads today with BENDIX Supersports Sintered and when i pulled out the 2 allen key head caliper pins that locate the pads in place they were completely dry, NO caliper grease or never seize on them what so ever to allow them to move free and also stop corrosion, and also the radiator overflow line was directed straight on top of the oil pressure sender unit and already showed signs of electrolysis on the thread from the coolant so i re routed the overflow line.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was show this picture once online, said this is how they arrive at the dealer:

AND HOW MUCH DID YOUR DEALER CHARGE YOU FOR ASSEMBLY CHARGE? I had a shop here in Norfolk trying to charge $950 for each of the two bikes I was looking at, needless to say I went to another dealership.... special props to Casey Cycle City in Newport News VA, Leo hooked us up pretty good with both bikes, no hassle and the gear at an excellent price

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
if your going to go nuts with loctite, use the red stuff the low toque stuff, no need for the medium blue strength stuff. the red stuff works just nicely and you can get it undone easy with hand tools

1 - 15 of 15 Posts