Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to put some new grips on my 300 but don't want to cut the grips off and don't have an air compressor. Are those the only 2 options to changing the grips?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm looking to put some new grips on my 300 but don't want to cut the grips off and don't have an air compressor. Are those the only 2 options to changing the grips?
Should cut them I went and bought new grips today only 15$ from a proper store you could get them so much cheaper eBay/amazon etc...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I used a long thin screwdriver and worked it all the way around the bar to break the glue loose and a shot of WD-40. Only takes a little bit and it slipped right off.

Used hairspray on the new grips. That give it some lube to go on the bar and some sticky to stay there when it dried.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Since I don't have a mechanics garage equipped with compressed air, I opted for soapy water and after the epic struggle my forearms looked like Popeyes.

Without air, I would try hairspray next time.

$10 isn't bad for improved grip with less vibration.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cutting them off is much easier IMHO if you don't have a compressor. Use a razor blade and carefully cut almost through to the bar/throttle. You can then peel them off.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What if you have heated grip pads installed on there, can those be saved with injecting liquid in the grip to remove it? I'm hesitant to install my heated grips before the Fall. I don't have access to an air compressor.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
630 Posts
I used windex and a screwdriver to remove my grips, and then hairspray when putting the new grips on. You definitely don't need to cut them!

Just beware you're going to need an impact driver (or a torch) to get the bar ends off.

Reactions: mburff

·
Banned
277 Posts
What if you have heated grip pads installed on there, can those be saved with injecting liquid in the grip to remove it? I'm hesitant to install my heated grips before the Fall. I don't have access to an air compressor.

Always better off cutting the old and installing new, especially when they are so cheap (renthal grips are by far my favorite).

If you are using the heated pad that sticks to the bar then you'll need to pull up on one end of the grip and start cutting slowly, always keeping the part you're cutting off the bar.

For the non throttle side you should put a single layer of electrical tape on the bar before applying the heating pad otherwise the aluminum will steal most of the heat and the left side won't feel nearly as warm.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ah thanks. It's a new grip I just put on. They were coming off easily yesterday when I sprayed windex on them. Now it doesn't budge. I don't want to cut those off yet lol

Reactions: Dark

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used a long thin screwdriver and worked it all the way around the bar to break the glue loose and a shot of WD-40. Only takes a little bit and it slipped right off.

Used hairspray on the new grips. That give it some lube to go on the bar and some sticky to stay there when it dried.
have you had any issues with the grips slipping at all with the use of hair spray?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Get WD40 under the old grips using a thin flat head screwdriver. Work your way around and it should slide right off.

As for installation, use hairspray on the inside of the new grips.
I was told that you shouldn't use WD-40 due to it being oil based.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used windex and a screwdriver to remove my grips, and then hairspray when putting the new grips on. You definitely don't need to cut them!

Just beware you're going to need an impact driver (or a torch) to get the bar ends off.
Wish I would've seen this sooner about the impact driver or torch. I've stripped the head on one screw :( and I'm not going to even attempt to touch the other one!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
clean up afterwards with either "eucalyptus oil" or "tea tree oil";)
Oil sounds just a bit too scary for me :confused:
I think I will stick with what Kairus said about the windex

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Oil sounds just a bit too scary for me :confused:
I think I will stick with what Kairus said about the windex

"eucalyptus tree oil" doesn’t leave any residue, its not an oil as such, its perfect for cleaning oil & sticky goo from sticky tape

they are native to Australia & this stuff is magic kit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus

go down about 1/2 way down the page & read about the "eucalyptus tree oil" & what its for

aussie's have been using it for generations:)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"eucalyptus tree oil" doesn’t leave any residue, its not an oil as such, its perfect for cleaning oil & sticky goo from sticky tape

they are native to Australia & this stuff is magic kit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus

go down about 1/2 way down the page & read about the "eucalyptus tree oil" & what its for

aussie's have been using it for generations:)
that's awesome! But heres another question. If I am going to be putting on clip-ons with new grips, do i still need to take of the old grips on the old bars?

·
Registered
630 Posts
that's awesome! But heres another question. If I am going to be putting on clip-ons with new grips, do i still need to take of the old grips on the old bars?
Yes, because the throttle tube won't come off without the bar ends off.

edit: throttle TUBE

1 - 20 of 35 Posts