Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
My Walmart doesn't carry Dupont chain oil. They have Liquid Wrench chain oil and I use it. States right on the can it's for chains with o-rings. It's cheap too.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Dupont chain saver, white lithium lube. Find it at Lowes, or many other hardware stores, such as True Value.

I usully lube chains every few hundred miles, or after any rain riding

·
Registered
958 Posts
You know the Scott oiler is always oiling the chain, so you really can't over oil it...provided you aren't wasting or getting the oil on your tires, etc. Some people oil after every ride. Others every couple hundred miles. If you ride in rain or dirt, more often. I use the same cheap oil to clean the chain, by spraying it, then wipe off all the excess I can, and I oil every 200 miles or so. I clean off the rear sprocket at the same time I oil the chain. I prefer to just move my bike and do a section at a time rather than use a stand and have the wheels moving because of the added danger of that, but I think most people use the rear stand. Just watch your fingers and make sure you move the wheel so the chain is moving away from the sprocket. At a 200-mile cleaining/lubricating schedule, my chains always look brand new. I wipe the excess off with a microfiber cloth. Several YouTube videos on this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but do you have to clean your chain before you lube it? or does it not matter? Also, I've ordered the PJ1 Blue Label chain lube, any suggestions on a cleaner?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but do you have to clean your chain before you lube it? or does it not matter? Also, I've ordered the PJ1 Blue Label chain lube, any suggestions on a cleaner?
Depends on how dirty your chain is. Cleaning isn't necessary if the chain isn't really dirty. It's still better to lube onto a dirty chain than to not do anything at all though. Kerosene works well as a cheap cleaner.

·
Registered
958 Posts
All good ideas. The other thing you can do is detergent and water, then rinse and dry. I go this route if I am cleaning the entire lower part of the bike if I've gotten it really dirty. I use an old toothbrush on the chain, again moving the bike forward a little by hand for each section (out in the street in front of my house). Then you need to completely dry off everything before oiling the chain of course. This takes a long time. Some shops use compressed air to facilitate drying after they wash bikes. If you are careful how and where you direct the wand, you could use a car wash. This is how dealerships wash bikes.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I lube the chain everytime after I wash it(once a week).I'm not sure how true this is but white powdery looking lubes(almost looks like tooth paste when sprayed on) are suppose to be better for these types of bikes.dirt bikes use the more gel looking lubes as the excess flicks off taking some dirt with it.generally dirt causes more wear and tear.I use a rear stand and hold a non fibrous cloth on the chain and spin the wheel.then I put a rag behind the sprocket and spray the chain so if I miss the chain it lands on the rag instead of the wheel or rims that I've just cleaned.wipe down any spot on the tyres and take it for a slow run around the block.(Take it slow,sometimes you end up messing on the brake disks if you miss and that will cause your brakes to take longer to slow down.also getting it on your tyres will cause lack of grip.but it will wear off.

·
Banned
613 Posts
chainwax no fling FTW and the correspoding chain cleaner by the same brand

·
Registered
70 Posts
Does anyone use Amsoil Metal Protector HD? Im a dealer for amsoil so i can order all the products for the dealer price but wanted to hear some real world experience on the product before i buy.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts