Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I decided to clean and lube my chain.

Didn't go so well.

Used Motul chain cleaner then Motul lube on my chain.

Should have read more manuals and such yet I basically just sprayed the lube everywhere. Rolled bike a bit then sprayed more lube everywhere.

Found out later this was wrong. Also found out later that riding it soon after was wrong.

The lube dried white and is all over my the rear of my bike and tires. Tried some soapy water and a sponge yet it didn't come off.

Any tips on how I can get all this dried white lube (this is starting to sound a bit strange) off. Can I use the Motul chain cleaner? Or is that unsafe on parts of my bike?

Also wondering if I should try and take the chain guard off and clean under that as well?

Thanks (a lot) in advance.

(And to top off this fine day of riding the moment I took my helmet off a bird dropped the most epic turd on me. Brilliant!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use kero yo clean my chain then the same chain lube as you. I normally let it dry for about 30min then go for a 10min ride. Get back home then clean the lube off whete it's not meant to be using Mr Sheen and a rag. I clean my bike with Mr Sheen all the time, never used anything else. I was sceptical when told to use it, but the results speak for themselves. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Brake clean on the tire. Chain clean is fine to use on the bike. Next time just spray the inside rollers and try not to get it on the tire. Also that Motul white stuff is too sticky and gets all the crap stuck to. Use the DuPont stuff.

·
Registered
865 Posts
could be the chain lube you used. mine is just a spray and ride chain wax. no special instructions. they all are different. Lesson here is to read instruction even if things seems easy lol

try some brake cleaner or something to get off the stuff on your tire then give the bike a real good washing with soap and water. or that chain cleaner. its pretty much the same stuff lol chain cleaner amy not be as abrasive. but if you wash it off afterwards, i dont think it'll matter

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Spray on, leave for 10 minutes and wipe of excess with a rag. Any excess left over after 10 minutes of sitting will just be flung off all over the place when you start riding.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Yeah it has to be wiped off. If it's dripping its going to sling. I spray and saturate it really well, get about 2 or 3 full passes on the chain to get it good and drippy and clean, then I make several passes with 2 different clean dry towels and get it as dry as possible. It leaves a nice film of lube, nothing more is needed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
295 Posts
I use kero yo clean my chain then the same chain lube as you. I normally let it dry for about 30min then go for a 10min ride. Get back home then clean the lube off whete it's not meant to be using Mr Sheen and a rag. I clean my bike with Mr Sheen all the time, never used anything else. I was sceptical when told to use it, but the results speak for themselves. Hope this helps
Mr Sheen on your bike? Plastics and paint? Might try it doesn't hurt the bike. Works great in furniture...guess It could do the same on a bike.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Lol, I had a chain lube fail on my first bike. The whole left side of the tire was saturated. I was scared to death to go left around curves for a while. Lol

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for all the great replies guys.

Really appreciate it.

Just to confirm, to get all the 'dried white lube' off parts of my bike, use the Motul chain cleaner? (this won't hurt my bike?)

And to clean the white lube off my tires, use brake cleaner? If anyone can give me a link that would be great as never heard of brake cleaner.

Also, what about under the chain guard. Is this important to clean off or is it cool to just be hidden up there for no one but me to know/be annoyed about.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies guys.

Really appreciate it.

Just to confirm, to get all the 'dried white lube' off parts of my bike, use the Motul chain cleaner? (this won't hurt my bike?)

And to clean the white lube off my tires, use brake cleaner? If anyone can give me a link that would be great as never heard of brake cleaner.

Also, what about under the chain guard. Is this important to clean off or is it cool to just be hidden up there for no one but me to know/be annoyed about.

Thanks again.
You can get brake clean at any automotive store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We're used to use Diesel (just a little) mixed with water and a rag to scrub the grease...
Its "cheap" but you need to take care with the rubber parts like your tire... :D

After use, clean with a LOT of water so the diesel dosn't get stuck on the tire...
You don't need much of diesel mixed with the water, just a little... it really helps if your budget is running low... :)

Regards

1 - 20 of 20 Posts