Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing a clunking sound coming from the chain area. I've had mine for about 3500 miles. I've removed the sprocket cover and cleaned out all the gunk and build-up. I've taken it to the shop twice and had it adjusted. Clunking goes away for about 3 days, then comes back. I've cleaned and lube the chain approximately every 500-700mi. And again the clunking comes back within a couple days. I read a thread saying that the chain might be binding. Wouldn't a trained mechanic notice that? So do I need a chain replacement?? Thanks for any help you guys can give!

·
Registered
18 Posts
3500 miles is not much, but check if the chain has the same slack all around.

Sometimes, there are sections of the chain that stretch more than others, this can happen if you ride under rain then let the chain dry before oiling it. The chain will wear unevenly which makes it difficul to adjust properly since some sections will be more loose than others. This happened to me after 12000 miles, so I changed the chain the next season for a stronger X-Ring.

If you are in the same situation, you can tolerate this noise form some time, but plan to get it changed.

Here is what I do with mine :
  • Oil the chain after every ride under the rain
  • Oil the chain every 310 miles (500km) (not cleaned)
  • Clean the chain not more than twice a year (cleaning too often can dry the o-rings)
  • Check the slack every week (no need to measure accurately to check, only when it needs adjusting)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I would get the wheel up in the air and spin it to isolate the exact location of the clunk sound.

Check the chain slack in different locations 90 degrees apart to see how much it changes. Look for a binding link.

Tight chains usually make more noise than loose ones.

Another area that can make noise on the Ninja is the "cush drive". It's usually too sloppy, and during on/off /on throttle can make a thunking sound.

Here's info on shimming it (the 250, but the same as the 300) - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_shim_the_cush_drive

There are some treads here somewhere that talk about the clutch assembly making noise as well I believe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys... It turned out it was binding. I had my wife watch it while I did figure 8s around her in a parking lot. Chain replaced this afternoon. Thanks again for the info!!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Thanks Guys... It turned out it was binding. I had my wife watch it while I did figure 8s around her in a parking lot. Chain replaced this afternoon. Thanks again for the info!!!!
Good for her helping you figure out the problem!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I keep hearing a clunking sound coming from the chain area. I've had mine for about 3500 miles. I've removed the sprocket cover and cleaned out all the gunk and build-up. I've taken it to the shop twice and had it adjusted. Clunking goes away for about 3 days, then comes back. I've cleaned and lube the chain approximately every 500-700mi. And again the clunking comes back within a couple days. I read a thread saying that the chain might be binding. Wouldn't a trained mechanic notice that? So do I need a chain replacement?? Thanks for any help you guys can give!
Following this...(y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts