Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way to work the other day and my chain snapped. When it did it wrapped around the front sprocket 3 times and the torque of doing so broke where the front sprocket cover bolts into the crankshaft. Curious what all needs to be done to fix it or if I'm just screwed? The last 2 pictures are of a piece I found laying on my chain. Any insight?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have broken two chains, (pre 520 X ring days) both bikes were totaled, the one that wrapped around the rear sprocket locked the rear wheel and flipped me over the highside like a dishrag, and the one that wrapped around the front sprocket, like yours, cracked the crank case.... like yours. If you can pull the sprocket cover an post that picture we may get a better idea, but you are probably in for a builder level repair at a bare minimum, and it will probably be more cost effective to source a used motor.... you are replacing that half of the case, or finding someone REALLY talented with an AC TIG. Either way, that motor is coming out

I rebuild salvage bikes for fun and profit, and I immediately discount broken chains as not cost effective with rare exceptions

that chain... .

1 - 2 of 2 Posts