Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i lowsided and scratched up my babys left fairing. Thinkig about sanding it down and buff out the damage and carbon vinyl the whole fairing. Got a heat gun and debit card haha :) just waiting for the 12x50 carbon fiber wrap in mail. Any suggestions? what im a little worries about are the gills, i might just leave em because they serm a lil intimidating. any advice or tips? thanks y'all

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Hairdryer to get the wrap to form to the curves. Just dont heat and stretch it too much or your will warp the weaves. I did my side fairings in CF wrap, just the "V" shaped matt plastic portion. Was a lesson and a half that's for sure. Have fun with those gills lol. Make sure you leave a decent amount on the backside after folding the wrap over before trimming it off.

Youtube videos work wonders too, I watched a lot of these before attempting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Mcrowley898.

I've applied a 3M knockoff Carbon fibre Vinyl wrap to the hood of my 2012 Can-Am Spyder RSS. (See pic)

The Wrap will have a peel away backing. If you apply glue to the surface; 1: you may damage your plastics 2: doing so will make it near impossible to manipulate the wrap while applying it.

Remove the side fairing and clean it very well as others noted.
Make sure you do this all inside your home and not in a garage our outdoors.

Measure out the area that you will need. Once you are 100% sure of the portion you will cut off, remove a separate section and apply it to something else as a test. Get used to stretching the wrap by applying a hair dryer (about 2 inches from it) Med-high heat, than with both hands *using your fingers of course* manipulate the wrap. The BEST example to use is if you have an extra side mirror. Apply the extra wrap to that plastic and stretch it with the hairdryer to "Wrap" around the mirror (not the glass of course, the plastic).

At first, it will seem daunting. You'll become worried that you're wasting the wrap cause of all the bubbles and inconsistencies. Feel free to "Lift" the wrap off the surface and reapply. Of course try to keep from doing this too often.

Where you'll see bubbles. Apply heat to the area and gently kneed the bubble with your thumb.

Take your time and be meticulous.

Finally. What you also need to consider is whether or not the wrap will adequately adhere to the underside of the fairing. I suggest that you use duct tape (Underneath) as cleanly as you can to re-enforce the adhesion.

Good luck!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.