Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preferably with a torque wrench included (or on the side, but post a link).

I think this will help everyone who is eager to dive into the DIY world for their bike.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Similar thread started here: http://www.kawasakininja300.com/for...ce/1067-want-do-my-own-basic-maintenance.html

My tools consist mostly of whatever was on sale at Canadian Tire when I went to shop for them. Haven't been disappointed yet.

And I get most of my power tools from Amazon, the prices are unbeatable.

You'll need a beam-type torque wrench since some bolts have torque values lower than what most click-type wrenches can be set to (< 20 ft-lbs).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Similar thread started here: http://www.kawasakininja300.com/for...ce/1067-want-do-my-own-basic-maintenance.html

My tools consist mostly of whatever was on sale at Canadian Tire when I went to shop for them. Haven't been disappointed yet.

And I get most of my power tools from Amazon, the prices are unbeatable.

You'll need a beam-type torque wrench since some bolts have torque values lower than what most click-type wrenches can be set to (< 20 ft-lbs).
Ahh.. Good thread, forgot about that one. And thanks for the response.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
958 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Craftsman tool sets are still what I'd go to if I was buying a new one. I'm still using the 140ish piece set my Dad gave me 20 years ago. That being said for individual pieces (and my torque wrenches) I go to Lowes, mainly because there's one 3 miles from me.

For air tools I'll use Harbor Freight if it's something I won't use too often. You go into that knowing they're cheap Chinese junk, but when I only need an air wrench or grinder a few times a year they hold up well enough.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Um...for you info. most craftsman tools are now "made in china", they are no longer all american made. I know this for a fact, I have been buying craftman tools for over 40yrs now. They started by buying made in china electric parts for drills, saws, ect. and it has moved into the whole tool being made in china.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't think you will find a tool "set" that is pre-compiled with everything you need. I'd say you should get a good socket set. Everything I see comes with metric and standard. I don't ever touch my standard sockets. Get a set of hex drivers! It's 10x easier working on the bike using ratchet drives than allen wrenches. And with the hex drivers you can actually properly torque things.

Get an assortment of 3/8th extensions and the universal adapters (knuckle joins). It's amazing easy this can make getting off some otherwise hard to reach bolts. A breaker bar comes in hand and they are pretty cheap and harbor freight. A set of metric wrenches and you and basic screwdrivers and you are pretty set for most things. You can list of quite a long list of tools if you are doing more involved things but basic repair doesn't take much. Also, its good to buy the stocket size needed for the rear axle bolt. This is larger than what will come in a socket set. Red and blue loctite is also handy to have at hand.

Acquiring all the tools you need to get everything done might not be cheap, but you make that cost back pretty quickly with how much shops charge for everything!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.