Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
that's odd that everyone's msf class is full of people that have prior experience, we had one guy in our class that knew how to ride and he was taking it with his wife, other than that nobody in the class had ever riden a motorcycle..

·
Super Moderator
2,548 Posts
that's odd that everyone's msf class is full of people that have prior experience, we had one guy in our class that knew how to ride and he was taking it with his wife, other than that nobody in the class had ever riden a motorcycle..
Mine had 2 people in the class with no prior riding experience - me and another lady. A few were there as a refresher since they had not been riding for several years; one was there with his son who had been riding dirt since he was a toddler and wanted to transition to street, and more than a few were there to finally become legal after years of riding without a license. The class definitely moved at a nice clip in order to keep the experienced folks interested.

I passed my class on a Sunday morning, took my written test at the local DMV the following Tuesday, and purchased my 300 the following Saturday. Buying a new bike versus used gave me a lot more confidence in my equipment since I don't have to wonder about the maintenance history.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Buying a new bike versus used gave me a lot more confidence in my equipment since I don't have to wonder about the maintenance history.
Same here, I didn't want to purchase someone elses problems.. especially when you can't really test ride someones bike as a brand new rider and aren't really sure what to look for... having a zero mileage bike and a warranty was really good peace of mind.. I was also pretty confident I woulnd't drop/wreck it, which I haven't yet (knock on wood), I'm a pretty careful individual and I try to take good care of my things..

it's funny, shopping for used bikes, there seems to be two types of individuals - those that take superb care of thier things, and those who treat thier stuff like shit.. I prefer to be the former, I want whoever buys my bike second hand to appreciate that I took good care of it. but in general from what I've seen, used bikes (even relatively new) are either meticulous or beat to hell.. and I'm not talking about scuffs from a drop/accident, I'm talking about things like scratches from improper cleaning, broken cable connectors, worn off paint on the triple (from having a bunch of keys on your keyring), dents/dings/scratches from carelessness, torn/faded seats on a relatively new bike (WTF??), general abuse/misuse/neglect..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Asking price for a used Ninja 300 in my area (Northern California) is typically $4,000 plus from private sellers and dealerships. That's when I made the decision to spend a little bit more for a new 2014 White ABS model.

I did see some older Ninja 250 models listed but they had been dropped numerous times and some were in rather rough shape based on the photographs.

I have peace of mind when riding and know I put every mile on my bike. I actually delayed purchasing any bike when I saw the ads for the initial release of the Ninja 300.

By the way, you are welcome uniremote.

·
Registered
203 Posts
im in the same boat as you exept its not msf course ( it has another name)

i did pass the courses but not the "dmv" exam ( its a slow speed closed circuit test)

the way i figured this is if you have a tool to practice (motorcycle) and the place to use the tool ( parking /private land)
then its much easyer to pass the exams because you CAN practice

all i had was about 20hrs on a 128cc and about 4 on a 600 ( which feels totally diffrent specially at slow speed) so i didnt have any feel for the 600 but still had to pass the test with it on top add the stress of the test (literaly made to fail ppl) then i have no question as to why i failed.

now your case is diffrent . depending on how much is a "msf" course in your area it might be a better choice . around here its about 600$
or 75$ /h for extra sessions. pretty expensive to "practice"

we also have that weird rule for the test that there is no limitation on size of bike if its yours but has to be 400cc+ if its a rental or not yours...

i say do both buy a cheapo bike "beater" and practice (if you have the space) and also take the msf again .

·
Registered
458 Posts
Come to think about it, the first motorcycle I ever got to ride and what I learned on was a 300.
A 305cc Honda back in 1967. I rode illegally on the back roads until I turned 16 and then got my motorcycle and car license at the same time. No MSF courses back then, you just had to show the trooper that you could handle a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Same here, I didn't want to purchase someone elses problems.. especially when you can't really test ride someones bike as a brand new rider and aren't really sure what to look for... having a zero mileage bike and a warranty was really good peace of mind...

i understand where your coming from, but last year in September when i got my new 2014 SE from Kwaka Oz the bloody front wheel had a huge wobble in it. the speed limit going home was 60 kmph so i never noticed it cos there was no wobble. it wasn't till later that night when i went out for a ride to a 100 kmph zone that i discovered it. took it back to dealer next morning with less then 50 kilometers on the clock, so just cos your buying new doesn't always mean your getting zero problems with it :wink:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks for the tip Jester and everyone else. Your case sounds almost exactly like mine. I have my permit already. (cant take msf without one i think).
FYI:

I did not have a permit when I took the course. Location: Indiana

·
Registered
9 Posts
2k13 300 se is my 1st bike never rode prior to msf course. I'm doing a lot of parking lot practice and I also wake up at 5am and do early morning 15 mile ride through back roads working on my turns and curves

41 - 51 of 51 Posts