Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to bikes and just wanting to confirm a few pointers.

There is a Ninja 300 ABS model that I've found on the market 2nd hand (Sydney, Australia), I was wondering if anyone could help me please to clarify:

1. What exactly does this bike come when purchased from a dealer? As far as I know this should just be 2 keys (1 being a spare), a service log and a manual from the manufactorer? was there anything else?
  2. How do I tell whether it is a ABS model or standard? being paranoid I'd like to confirm it does. Is there a part of the VIN number that indicates whether it came from factory with this?
  3. The owner says there is no need to test ride it as the bike has only got 700ks on it, but will allow me to start it. Again being paranoid, could this possibly be him avoiding detection of issues with the suspension ect? This means that I would be going based off a visual inspection and watching it idle. Although it is obviously a very new bike, so I was looking to get an opinion if this would be a concern for some people
Thanks a lot in advance, this would help me alot.

Sorry if the information already is in another thread, I did pan through a few pages / did some searches but failed at finding anything which directly answered these questions

·
Registered
205 Posts

There is a Ninja 300 ABS model that I've found on the market 2nd hand (Sydney, Australia), I was wondering if anyone could help me please to clarify:

1. What exactly does this bike come when purchased from a dealer? As far as I know this should just be 2 keys (1 being a spare), a service log and a manual from the manufactorer? was there anything else?
  2. How do I tell whether it is a ABS model or standard? being paranoid I'd like to confirm it does. Is there a part of the VIN number that indicates whether it came from factory with this?
  3. The owner says there is no need to test ride it as the bike has only got 700ks on it, but will allow me to start it. Again being paranoid, could this possibly be him avoiding detection of issues with the suspension ect? This means that I would be going based off a visual inspection and watching it idle. Although it is obviously a very new bike, so I was looking to get an opinion if this would be a concern for some people

Sorry if the information already is in another thread, I did pan through a few pages / did some searches but failed at finding anything which directly answered these questions

There should also be a tool kit. I myself would not buy it secondhand without a test ride, I dont know if I am being paranoid but thats just me.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
g'day mate

1- 2 x keys & the owners manual, service log book , tool kit

2- ABS have a look at the front fender (mud guard) should say ABS also look at the front & rear wheel near the axle. there should be a small disc with cut outs in it so a small sensor shines thru it.on the instrument panel when you turn the bike on a yellow ABS light comes up & stays up till you go over 10kmph

3- if the owner wont let you test ride it, then tell the owner you wont let him have your money, simple as that

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts

It will also come with a small tool kit under the pillion seat where the manual is.

To tell if its the abs model when you look at the disc brakes on the inside of the disc will be a smaller circle of what looks like little holes.

And on the front fairing (The one on the front wheel) either side will say ABS in black)

As for the seller not letting you take it for a test ride, it could be to hide some sort of problem but most likely a paranoid owner. I guess check the bike over for things such as issues with clutch any leaks from the front forks even if you want check for chicken strips on the tyres and peg feelers for any scrapes to see if it has been ridden hard.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for such a quick reply.

3- if the owner wont let you test ride it, then tell the owner you wont let him have your money, simple as that
As for the seller not letting you take it for a test ride, it could be to hide some sort of problem but most likely a paranoid owner. I guess check the bike over for things such as issues with clutch any leaks from the front forks even if you want check for chicken strips on the tyres and peg feelers for any scrapes to see if it has been ridden hard.

Makes sense, although the circumstances are a bit odd (would be an interstate purchase) seller is not going to be home for the next month or so, and I am not the one that would be test riding as it's too far from me (my mate would be). So the sellers mate is meeting my mate for the inspection, so I think that is why he is against it. Justification is that the bike only has 700ks and there isn't much he could have done to damage anything that wouldn't be visible.

2- ABS have a look at the front fender (mud guard) should say ABS also look at the front & rear wheel near the axle. there should be a small disc with cut outs in it so a small sensor shines thru it.on the instrument panel when you turn the bike on a yellow ABS light comes up & stays up till you go over 10kmph
To tell if its the abs model when you look at the disc brakes on the inside of the disc will be a smaller circle of what looks like little holes.

And on the front fairing (The one on the front wheel) either side will say ABS in black)

this is what the front wheel of an ABS equipped ninja 300 looks like

and the front wheel of a NON-ABS equipped ninja 300

that is really, really helpful. Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Lowy, I may have missed it but why is he selling it and for how much? Did you also check prices with other dealers in your area for what a new one would cost? I saw a black one on gumtree.com for $6000 non-ABS with 4000km on the ODO. A brand new one would cost $6700 out the door. I paid $7200 for a new ABS one. You can probably get it cheaper over there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lowy, I may have missed it but why is he selling it and for how much? Did you also check prices with other dealers in your area for what a new one would cost? I saw a black one on gumtree.com for $6000 non-ABS with 4000km on the ODO. A brand new one would cost $6700 out the door. I paid $7200 for a new ABS one. You can probably get it cheaper over there.
hey mate, he is selling it because he now works/lives onsite somewhere and doesn't get to ride his bike. Did do a bit of shopping around dealers, seems to be 7.2k for non ABS and 7.7k for ABS?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Lowy where are you from? I bought my 300 october last year for 7200 white abs brand new

Haggle the dealers down mate.... the quotes youre getting seem to be a little high

also how much does this second hand one want?

·
Registered
958 Posts
[*]How do I tell whether it is a ABS model or standard? being paranoid I'd like to confirm it does. Is there a part of the VIN number that indicates whether it came from factory with this?
When you turn on the bike, there is a yellow/orange ABS light on the dash (near the top right corner), it doesn't go off until the bike starts moving.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I live in Sydney, which suburb is the bike in? I know a bit about bikes, especially this one, I can go with your mate to check it out if you want?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would make the purchase conditional on a test ride with the seller having your cash in hand.
Sounds like a deal to me. Mine had 421 miles (US) and I paid $4k US which is about the same percentage of discount you are getting.
I would get him to sign a purchase agreement stating that there is no damage to the bike, repaired or not. If he has nothing to hide then it should be no problem.

regards
Mech

·
Banned
62 Posts
There are only 2 reasons why someone wouldn't let you test ride it:

1) there is something wrong with it and they don't want you to find out until you've already paid
2) The seller is worried that you'll throw it down the road when you are not insured to ride it.

I'd personally want to ride it before handing a penny over. You could always get the bike insured for the day to do a test, I've done this with a car when the owner didn't want me to drive it. Once I was able to show that I was insured he was ok to let me have a test drive.

I always take a mechanic with me when I'm buying cars or motorcycles or at least someone with a lot of knowledge of the machine. It pays to give them $50 to come with you for peace of mind

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lowy where are you from? I bought my 300 october last year for 7200 white abs brand new

Haggle the dealers down mate.... the quotes youre getting seem to be a little high

also how much does this second hand one want?
I'm in Sydney. I see I see... I guess it could be worthwhile talking to the dealers more. I've only been to one, and they seemed pretty firm on the price but ill see if I can go back and get a better price.

When you turn on the bike, there is a yellow/orange ABS light on the dash (near the top right corner), it doesn't go off until the bike starts moving.
I live in Sydney, which suburb is the bike in? I know a bit about bikes, especially this one, I can go with your mate to check it out if you want?
Thanks for the offer mate but its the other way round, the bike is in Brisbane. I live in Sydney :)

I would make the purchase conditional on a test ride with the seller having your cash in hand.
Sounds like a deal to me. Mine had 421 miles (US) and I paid $4k US which is about the same percentage of discount you are getting.
I would get him to sign a purchase agreement stating that there is no damage to the bike, repaired or not. If he has nothing to hide then it should be no problem.

regards
Mech
Thanks for the tip.

There are only 2 reasons why someone wouldn't let you test ride it:

1) there is something wrong with it and they don't want you to find out until you've already paid
2) The seller is worried that you'll throw it down the road when you are not insured to ride it.

I'd personally want to ride it before handing a penny over. You could always get the bike insured for the day to do a test, I've done this with a car when the owner didn't want me to drive it. Once I was able to show that I was insured he was ok to let me have a test drive.

I always take a mechanic with me when I'm buying cars or motorcycles or at least someone with a lot of knowledge of the machine. It pays to give them $50 to come with you for peace of mind
Thanks for the insight :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mate i've been looking daily on bikesales.com.au for a 300 abs to pop up in sydney for a while now haha. If the one you're looking at from QLD is the one I think you're referring to, I hope you noticed that rego expires this month, so possibly try get the price down a bit further, or use it as a bargaining tool to have it test ridden.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mate i've been looking daily on bikesales.com.au for a 300 abs to pop up in sydney for a while now haha. If the one you're looking at from QLD is the one I think you're referring to, I hope you noticed that rego expires this month, so possibly try get the price down a bit further, or use it as a bargaining tool to have it test ridden.
Yeah a fair few coming up in VIC / QLD but few in Sydney...

I did notice, thanks for that though!

Yeah, no, I totally got that... I meant I was gonna ride up to Brisbane... :)
Oh wow, that's really generous of you! At this stage I've got a mate who can check it out in Brisbane, but if there is anything else around here I might get back to you :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts