Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got this ninja 300 with a broken spark plug in it. It broke reasonably above the threads with a bit of ceramic still in it. I tried finding a left-handed drill bit that was long enough to get down in there, but it seems as if I can only find regular long-shafted drill bits. I would rather not drill into it with one of those because I would assume that it would make it tighter. I also bought some really long needle nose pliers and tried getting a grip on it and putting vice grips on the handles and twisting it out, but the way the frame is, that does not seem plausible.

If I was to have to disassemble the head and remove it in that manner, does anyone have any experience with doing that? I was just curious whether or not that would somehow make it easier to remove. How far down into disassembly would I have to go? I have a slight knowledge of head disassembly, but by no means fluent.

Thanks!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've got this ninja 300 with a broken spark plug in it. It broke reasonably above the threads with a bit of ceramic still in it. I tried finding a left-handed drill bit that was long enough to get down in there, but it seems as if I can only find regular long-shafted drill bits. I would rather not drill into it with one of those because I would assume that it would make it tighter. I also bought some really long needle nose pliers and tried getting a grip on it and putting vice grips on the handles and twisting it out, but the way the frame is, that does not seem plausible.

If I was to have to disassemble the head and remove it in that manner, does anyone have any experience with doing that? I was just curious whether or not that would somehow make it easier to remove. How far down into disassembly would I have to go? I have a slight knowledge of head disassembly, but by no means fluent.

Thanks!
Their is no way that you can get a socket or a plug wrench on it . :question:

Seems like even if the ceramic portion of the plug with the terminal is broken off, you should be able to get a plug wrench on it. :shrug.001:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Eh yeah.. It broke off right under the nut area, but there's still ceramic inside of it to where I can't get an easy out into without drilling into it. I could post some pictures here after I get back to my house if it would help my predicament make more sense. I'm kinda worried about drilling into it either way tho because I'm concerned about getting foreign material into my engine. So yeah idk.

·
Registered
251 Posts
How, exactly, did the spark plug get broken? Was it during install or removal?

If you're certain it's broken below the hex you're going to have a very difficult time removing without getting bits in the combustion chamber. You'll have to break or drill the porcelain out and use an extractor to remove it

I hate to say it but the safest route is to remove the head. At that point, unless you're pretty confident about the removal, I'd take it to a machine shop to have it removed. A steel fastner in an aluminum head can be tricky especially since it must be pretty stuck in there for the actual hex to have broken off.
The head removal procedure shouldn't be terribly difficult. Just download the service manual and follow the instructions.

I'd really get in there and double check that the hex is gone. It's pretty hard to shear that part off the spark plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts