Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Friday I rode my new 2014 abs ninja home. Not a problem. Today my friend and I went for a nice Sunday ride and got about 5ks and my engine cut out all of a sudden and my oil light came on. I'm thinking maybe the dealership had put in the wrong oil. Like a lower grade oil. But I'm not too sure. What do you think?

I'm going to go into the dealership tomorrow and get my father inlaw to have a look because he will know.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Worst part about the day was is that my riding friend had to toe me back on his 250 and it starting to rain.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
It is perfectly normal for the oil light to come on when the engine stops running. When the engine isn't running, there's no more oil pressure, thus the oil light turns on. It doesn't mean the dealer put the wrong oil in.

How long does the engine run after you get it started again?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is perfectly normal for the oil light to come on when the engine stops running. When the engine isn't running, there's no more oil pressure, thus the oil light turns on. It doesn't mean the dealer put the wrong oil in.

How long does the engine run after you get it started again?
It runs for like 3 seconds then cuts out. I topped up with some new oil and i tried and it works perfectly. I think what might of been the cause was that the oil was low. But it had a little bit in there that's what makes no sense to me.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Did you ever check the oil in the sightglass? Make sure you know what your oil level is before topping off, but you might mean by 'topping-off' that you knew how much oil you had.

I wonder why it's low on oil? Further-investigation might be needed here.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you ever check the oil in the sightglass? Make sure you know what your oil level is before topping off, but you might mean by 'topping-off' that you knew how much oil you had.

I wonder why it's low on oil? Further-investigation might be needed here.
Yeah when I left the dealership in Friday there was maybe about half. And today when I broke down I ha like a millimetre in. I got the bike home an my father in law put some more oil in. I mean topping off by putting more into the bike so it's full.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Whoa! Glad you caught it, but why is it losing oil? That's the part that worries me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoa! Glad you caught it, but why is it losing oil? That's the part that worries me.
Yeah I'm not too sure. I can't see any problems. But I'm going to see the dealership tomorrow before I got to work.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It didn't stop due to low oil pressure as you would have seen the oil pressure warning light FIRST THEN the engine would have stopped. And usually when an engine stops due to low oil pressure, it's not a nice stop either. It's usually a full on seize and bearings and parts are usually stuffed. This sounds more like an electrical/ECU issue to me and less an oil based one. Something is probably loose electrically and the vibes and such knocked them loose and killed power. Surprisingly, this has been a very common problem with the 2013 Ninja 300s on here so I wouldn't doubt it if the Taiwanese man forgot to man up and push some of the electrical connectors on all the way. Also it takes a few minutes for all of the oil to drain back into the sump. You can't immediately check the oil after the engine shuts down and get an accurate reading.

Continue with getting that bike to the dealership ASAP to have them fix your little electrical gremlin.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
many different things it could be. personally i wouldnt mess with it if it is under warranty, thats why we have warrantys so if it dies, its someone elses problem to fix it, not ours.

keep us posted with what the dealer has to say

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Wow a 2014 model already with issues. Kawasaki dont muck around. :(

I agree with other responses, low oil wont cause your engine to die.........unless it siezes.

Something else is wrong there if you are losing oil at that rate. You can expect to burn a little, like maybe 100mls over the course of your oil change (5000kms), but not to that extent.

Dealer immediately.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yet another case of not reading the manual before "topping up" the oil.

Nathan, before you do any further damage to your bike, I strongly suggest you open up the manual and read the relevant pages on how to properly check your oil level and what the oil light actually means.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts