Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After nearly 12 years of riding, I FINALLY figured out left-hand curves today!!!:multistars_smilie:
I've had a tendency to hug the centerline on left-hand curves. Which is a bad thing for a lot of reasons.:emot-doh: Well, today it hit me: the bike tends to go where you look, right? (Yes, I teach this stuff.) I made a real effort on the lefts to focus on the outside of the curve; if the curve had chevrons, that was the perfect place to look. Then, I'll be darned, I managed to ride the outside!!! Wow, I have a new skill to practice! Bring on the lefts!!!!!:revv::revv::revv:

Reactions: MAL

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you left-handed?

Nope!

Having a preference for rights, I submit that it's a throttle issue. I have a green Crampbuster which allows me to barely have my hands on the bars, so I can just rest my wrist on that to control the throttle. It's a lot easier in rights. Also the crown of the road makes rights a lot easier.

But slow, tight turns? Left, definitely. Again, I think it's the throttle. Because it's easier to goose it going right, the tendency may be to go a little fast and blow the turn. Plus, it feels a little cramped. Bottom line is the perception of having less control.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Im right handed and left turns have always been easier, in everything I've ever done. Riding/driving, bicycle, go karts, flying radio control, everything. I've finally got my lean angles almost the same left and right. For me I think it was roads in the US. In a left turn that isn't blind, I just feel I can see further through the turn, and look where I want to go more effectively. But a right turn, no matter the circumstances, will have a shorter visual range along the turn, because it is tighter radius.

But it stuck with me, and on the track still, my right turns are still harder. Funny world, haha.

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
2,558 Posts
I spent some time with a track coach and AMA racer to overcome my mental block on my speed and lean through turns. For most, you're more likely to take turns faster and lean more when it's the opposite of your dominant side. For me, my tire is scrubbed to the edge on the left, but I can a decently sized chicken strip on the right. Guess what, I'm right handed. So, that's what I've been working on - or was before the great freeze arrived.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Interesting thought, I wonder if that's just how some peoples' brains are wired.
Hitting up AMP track in Phoenix AZ next weekend, I will be working on getting comfortable leaned all the way over to the right. I can get my knee down with ease, but I need to work on just getting "locked in" to the turn, feeling not 'tense' when im turning right.

Wonder if there's a poll out there asking hand/foot dominance, easier direction to turn, ect.

-Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts