Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if you could re-use the stock 300 lines or aftermarket braided lines designed for the 300???

·
Registered
993 Posts
(side note what do you guys think about the white wheels??)

Got a full pic of bike with the white rims? I'm thinking of black/white combo all over, getting rid of silver stuff, but have yet to find the white shade of white in a spray can LOL....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure if anyone would know, but would these brakes work with the 300 ABS? Also does this improve or over improve the brakes. The rear caliper looks like a p32 or p34. Does the Ninja 300 need better brakes?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the rear brake is more for bling and to match the front.. I dont think I would mind at all having the upgrade up front... Stock is OK but stops nothing like a dual caliper bike, obviously..

I would do if it ti could find the calipers cheap enough..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Soooo...if you're not racing, what exactly is the point of this mod? I assume mostly for improved brake feel over actual braking performance? From my understanding, brake upgrades for performance are only really useful on a track where you need to contend with high brake wear and high heat which will decrease braking performance as the heat bleeds off the braking potential (spongy feeling). This accurate?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
more pad area = faster stopping, plus faster heat dissipation

seen a review on another forum of a pre-made "big brake kit" I think it said something along the lines of 0-50% braking felt exactly the same.. From 50% upward was just faster stopping and more tons for stopping force.. Basicly could ride a stoppie down the block kinda braking power.. Not that I want to do that, but hey I am addicted to modding so if the price is right I would do it haha..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
more pad area = faster stopping, plus faster heat dissipation

seen a review on another forum of a pre-made "big brake kit" I think it said something along the lines of 0-50% braking felt exactly the same.. From 50% upward was just faster stopping and more tons for stopping force..
The physics side of my brain is alarmed by this statement... I can understand brake feel going up with better brakes. This would explain the ability to hold a stoppie with greater ease VS adding too much or too little brake to maintain it.

I can also understand better brakes allowing you to apply the brakes from 300-0 Kph without bleeding off too much performance to heat/ warping calipers, etc.

But I don't see how more pad area means faster stopping in all situations. Assuming the existing brake pad is already capable of locking the front tire at will for the duration of a emergency braking incident; a bigger brake pad area would do nothing to help you stop faster. Essentially, you hit a wall where the limiting factor shifts from the braking performance, to the bikes center of gravity, wheel base, or the most important bit -> your coefficient of friction between the tires and the road (rolling assuming no wheel lock).

So the real question is, can the ninja 300 lock it's front wheel at will during threshold braking from 150 kph/ 93 Mph to 0 in non racing conditions where the brakes don't already contain much heat from earlier braking? Can you reliably threshold brake at will because they give you enough brake feel already to do so? If those two questions are a yes...then Maybe it's pointless to upgrade to bigger brakes unless you are racing...or have a mod addiction :p

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess faster stopping is not exactly the best way to phrase it.. With more pad area comes more fraction.. So say with the stock brake lever you pull it 75% and and come to a stop.. With the bigger calipers you can pull it may 55% and stop at the same speed. So you have a power increase and can reach full lock easier.

Like you said your MAX stopping speed will not increase as it is most likely limited to wheel lock, but then again I have never emergency stopped this bike at 100+mph so maybe at that speed we cant lock the tire. Anyone care to try?? :D

Under worse case conditions this would be a upgrade. For a real world more its crazy overkill BUT for a obsessed modder such as myself, its just awesome haha

I have found the calipers for this online.. Whats crazy is the pre-packaged brake kit for the 250R is $750+. JUST for the front..

The calipers you need you can get in silver or gold (silver looks to be more costly than gold). They are $200-$250 for the front, and $100-$150 for the rear. Plus the above posted brackets so looking at less than $400 to $500 for a complete Brembo brake overhaul. Not sure how well these calipers work with the stock rotors, master cylinder or lines though....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts