Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in San Francisco, we have hills and pedestrian crosswalks with hugh yellow stripes the width of the crosswalk which get slippery in the early mornings. I was going down a hill and had to brake sudden for someone who wanted to make turn. They stopped because someone was trying to cross the street.

I felt my rear tire fish tail a little. it scared me a little, but I didn't drop my baby, nor did I rear end the car....

Two things.

First, I shouldn't follow the car in front that closely. If I were in a car I wouldn't follow that closely, but on a bike, it didn't feel that close.

Secondly, I should be careful of those lines painted on the asphalt. They get slippery if they get wet....even if it's just the morning dew....

·
Registered
865 Posts
Also if you skid your rear tire, your using too much rear brake force and not enough front.

Something like 80% of your braking is done in the front, even in cars.

As long as you came out of the situation a smarter individual! Thats all that counts.

Einstein said "the definition of insanity if doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results"

=D cheers man! keep on learning!

"the moment you feel there is nothing else to learn, you may as well be dead... Stagnancy is ****"

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You need to worry about the same paint when cornering hard as well. Even in the dry. I've seen bikes go around corners with a good amount of speed, got a bit too aggressive on the apex and crossed a painted line --> Insta lowside drop

·
Registered
554 Posts
As long as you always keep in mind that those painted crosswalks are slippery as **** and take steps to avoid situations where you would have to slam the brakes you will be ok. Even in cars you loose traction on those strips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
and, as anyone riding in SF knows, those railway tracks can also be very dangerous! Those streetcar tracks can be the complete opposite of "the San Francisco Treat"!

When in urban traffic ride with your 2 fingers covering the brake and try to ride close to the other lane or wherever you might have an escape.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The train tracks are deadly! I am very cautious riding over tracks. Don't be a hero. Take it easy and keep your distance and take it easy on the throttle if you are on uneven ground. Especially if that includes those train tracks!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just a note guys, I recently wrote off my ninja 250 by skidding into the car in front in the rain on my way to work... Peak hour traffic, low speed but couldn't see through my visor. Only new to riding (4 months) and this should have been an easy lesson to learn from compulsory rider training....
Really gotta go hard on the front brake, and ensure you leave as much time as you can between you and the car infront. It's so easy to be distracted even for a second and lose that precious time required to stop, even when doing 40kph! Hopefully you can learn from my error, as i sure have.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just a note guys, I recently wrote off my ninja 250 by skidding into the car in front in the rain on my way to work... Peak hour traffic, low speed but couldn't see through my visor. Only new to riding (4 months) and this should have been an easy lesson to learn from compulsory rider training....
Really gotta go hard on the front brake, and ensure you leave as much time as you can between you and the car infront. It's so easy to be distracted even for a second and lose that precious time required to stop, even when doing 40kph! Hopefully you can learn from my error, as i sure have.
That leads me to a question. Would rainx or a, similar product prevent water build up on a visor? That's what REALLY concerns me about the wet

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
547 Posts
Rainex is a product i love and i did just use it on my visor but the problem was with the level of rain it was just collecting on my visor :( usually i put the stuff all over the glass on my cars. Not again for visor but will on mirrors and headlights

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My msf trainer suggested pledge, I have yet to see it functional in the rain, but does makes sense.
i had my cherry popped in the wet today and turning the face briefly into the wind seemed to help slightly. not much but a bit

·
Registered
733 Posts
I use rainx outside and no fog inside and no matter what speed or amount of rain I don't have a problem. Just make sure you don not get any water on the inside or you wont be able to see.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you go to Cycle Gear or other moto shop, they have these wipes that look like wet-naps. You wipe your visor with it and it will repel water as well as keep the condensation down. Wipe both sides of the visor.
My helmet has vents by the mouth and forehead to let breath escape so it doesn't fog the visor

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.