Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
didnt stop me calling the dealer today after i checked my VIN yesterday and saw my bike was part of the recall. only takes a few seconds to check the vin, call the dealer & get them to order the parts. they wont order parts till you call them
where did you Check you VIN?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just got another recall letter from Kawasaki. This time it's for the rear brake caliper (for both ABS and non ABS bikes). Also for ABS bikes, the ABS sensor lead bracket for the front is interfering with the front brake caliper. Both are causing uneven wear between the brake pads. I remember some members complaining about this. Anyone else get this letter?
Got it today. I guess I'll take mine back once it's warmer.

·
Banned
109 Posts
:angry: Got my letter today. Sucks my bike is already in one shop and now when its done I have to take it to the dealer! I might wait until later this winter.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Excerpt:

"Your Kawasaki dealer will correct this problem for you at no charge. The correction will consist of inspecting the rear clamp and adjusting it if required. Also, on ABS models the front ABS sensor lead bracket and bolt must be replaced with a redesigned bracket and bolt. The actual repair will take up to 30 minutes but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts."

If you have a non ABS bike, do this yourself at home and save the trip to the dealer. All that the dealer will do is bend that bracket away from your caliper via a pair of pliers or similar. The bracket is welded to the swingarm, so there are no parts to replace........unless they are gonna grind it off and weld a new bracket. Which they wont, as its not required......it just simply needs to be moved away from the caliper so it does not interfere when braking.

If you do have an ABS bike, I would contact the dealer and get them to order in the re-designed bracket/bolt for the front brake unit before you take your bike to them, to eliminate any wait time. Changing that over will take literally minutes. They could do it in the parking lot lol.

This isnt a safety recall, and those with non ABS bikes can fix this problem themselves at home in seconds, took me 3-4 seconds to fix mine last night with a pair of pliers. If it was a safety recall, I would recommend taking to the dealer, but in this case I dont think its required unless you have an ABS bike, as the front bracket you will need a part to be replaced, the rear you do not.

·
Registered
96 Posts
On a non-ABS, I got my letter today. Inspected all clearances...no issues. Inspected brake pads...wearing evenly.

I will keep this in the back of my mind, for when I look the bike over for future routine maintenance.

None of the recalls bother me enough to take the bike in. If I ever wish to sell, maybe I will do them all at once.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
On a non-ABS, I got my letter today. Inspected all clearances...no issues. Inspected brake pads...wearing evenly.

I will keep this in the back of my mind, for when I look the bike over for future routine maintenance.

None of the recalls bother me enough to take the bike in. If I ever wish to sell, maybe I will do them all at once.
I would definitely do all the safety recalls issued, you can be refused insurance in the event of a crash if you have outstanding safety recalls on a motor vehicle that you have been sent a notoification for.

Insurance companies will do anything to take your money, and never have to give it back. Dont give them any sort of reason to not honor the contract.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would definitely do all the safety recalls issued, you can be refused insurance in the event of a crash if you have outstanding safety recalls on a motor vehicle that you have been sent a notoification for.

Insurance companies will do anything to take your money, and never have to give it back. Dont give them any sort of reason to not honor the contract.
I'm not worried. That's like saying they won't cover you if you have mods. Not likely. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to my way of thinking, just explaining my reasoning.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I'm not worried. That's like saying they won't cover you if you have mods. Not likely. I'm not trying to persuade anyone to my way of thinking, just explaining my reasoning.
They very well may not. Only if you have cover for the mods of course or the insurance company knows about them, otherwise no it wont. At least not any insurance that I know of anyway.

Every time I make any change, performance or visual, I make changes to my insurance details, in particular modifications to the vehicle. The reason they specifically ask you if any modifications are done to the vehicle, so they know. Would suck to come off, destroy half a grands worth of exhaust system, only to have the insurance company tell me that they didnt know or dont have proof that it was even on there to start with, therefore no replacement for that.

My mates brother wrote off his car about 3 years back. Quite heavily modified, a little performance but mainly bling rims, stereo and some paint. Never told his insurance company about any changes, didnt think he had to. 15 grand worth of mods............a cheque for the market value of the car was sent to him. 3000 dollars. Needless to say, he wasnt very impressed. All from a formality, that would have taken a few moments to fix up.

Just a recommendation is all, would hate to see someone miss out on anything from a formality.

My reasoning is that safety recalls arent issued for shits and giggles, so would be well worth doing. Up to the individual of course to do so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got the letter today. Personally inspected the rear (welded) bracket in question... and I don't see how it would impede the calipers etc. The letter says the front bracket has a redesign. It won't be till Jan that I can take it in though. Too much on the plate to make a trip.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Just got the letter today. Personally inspected the rear (welded) bracket in question... and I don't see how it would impede the calipers etc. The letter says the front bracket has a redesign. It won't be till Jan that I can take it in though. Too much on the plate to make a trip.
The bracket if too close (or hard against like mine is) will stop the caliper from moving outwards when the brake is activated. Not everyone brackets are in the same position, and they are relatively easy to bend too. If the caliper cant move freely outwards or is obstructed from doing so, there will be more pressure applied to one pad than the other, leading to uneven wear. I have a groove that the bracket has worn in the caliper, so it is definitely hitting, causing impedance and uneven wear on the pads. Outside pad is 3/4 gone, inside pad is basically brand new.

The front bracket is definitely worth having the dealer replace with the redisigned one.......but again that only applies if you have ABS. Otherwise from what I understand its just the back.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
In case anyone needs help visualizing the problem, here's a good animation showing how the single-piston caliper works on our bike:

Now imagine the bracket preventing the caliper from sliding outwards; the inside pad will have less/no force applied to it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Got my letter today. I called the dealer told him I do not have the abs model ( that way he knows he shouldnt have to order parts) he said I dont need an appointment just bring it in anytime. I know I can just bend the part back and do it my self but I want it on record that while under warrenty it was checked and if needed corrected by the dealer. That way If any thing related to the rear brake goes bad in the future they cant say " well you did it and you did it wrong" Even something as little as bending a piece of metal:blowup:

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
where did you Check you VIN?
it is stamped to the frame of the bike at the front at the steering stem, under near near where the ignition is

also it should be written in your manual and should have been done so by the dealer when you bought the bike

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Update:
Took mine in to the dealer today. They put the information from the recall letter into my records on their computers then wheeled it in the back. 15 minutes later two of the service men where trying to pry me off a zx14r to tell me my bike was ready.
No problems back on the road :)

41 - 60 of 183 Posts