Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got another recall letter from Kawasaki. This time it's for the rear brake caliper (for both ABS and non ABS bikes). Also for ABS bikes, the ABS sensor lead bracket for the front is interfering with the front brake caliper. Both are causing uneven wear between the brake pads. I remember some members complaining about this. Anyone else get this letter?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I haven't got this letter yet, very interesting. I have to bring my bike in for the ECU recall still, and my instrument panel has a lot of condensation in it so I plan on bringing it in soon.

I'll wait though until the dealers know about this though.

edit: Just checked on:

http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=/site/VIVehicleInformation/VIChooseVehicle.asp?intCatalogID=2&intParts=0

Outstanding Factory Directed Modification Repair: EX300 BRAKE CALIPER INTERFERENCE

Here's the document:

http://www.kawasaki.com/site/kawasaki/techpubs/English/FDMS/MC13-05.pdf

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
found it

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1054186

PRA number: 2013/13883
Date published: 4th December 2013 Product information

Product description

EX300ADF (2013 Ninja 300)
EX300ADFA (2013 Ninja 300 Special Edition)
EX300AEF (2014 Ninja 300)
EX300AEFA (2014 Ninja 300 Special Edition)
EX300BDF (2013 Ninja 300 ABS)
EX300BDFA (2013 Ninja 300 ABS Special Edition)
EX300BEF (2014 Ninja 300)
EX300BEFA (2014 Ninja 300 ABS Special Edition)Identifying features

EX300A - JKAEX8A1??DA00259 to JKAEX8A1??DA17918
EX300B - JKAEX8B1??DA00093 to JKAEX8B1??DA08033
What are the defects?

For all eligible units, the rear brake hose guide on the swing arm may interfere with the rear brake caliper.

For the EX300B only, the bracket for the front ABS sensor lead may interfere with the front brake caliper. What are the hazards?

If the motorcycles are continuously used, the outer brake pad(s) may wear down at a faster rate than the inner brake pad(s).Dates available for sale

• [*] 12th September 2012 - 21st October 2013
Where the product was sold

• Nationally
Traders who sold this product

Authorised Kawasaki Motorcycle DealershipsSupplier

Kawasaki Motors Pty LtdSupplier's web site

http://kawasaki.com.auWhat should consumers do?

Contact their local Authorised Kawasaki Motorcycle Dealership and book motorcycle in for inspection and possible repair.

Consumers closest dealerships can be searched here http://www.kawasaki.com.au/dealers/find-a-dealer

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gotta be kidding me! Would they also replace the brake pads in this recall as well you think?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
That mean I get new pads in front and rear as well? My rotors rub against the pad. Dealer said...just like the fairings and ECU. That is normal.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I don't have my VIN to check right now, but it would certainly explain why I have brake issues. I don't remember if it was like that before I crashed though so its just in comparison to my 250.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I looked mine up and it looks like I will be visiting the Kawasaki dealer in the near future. Oh well, I still love my little Ninja.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nguyenimproved and JTACKM there is no mention of replacing the brake pads, here's an excerpt of that letter:

What Kawasaki and your dealer will do:
Your Kawasaki dealer will correct this problem for you at no charge. The correction will consist of inspecting the rear clamp and adjusting it if required. Also, on ABS models the front ABS sensor lead bracket and bolt must be replaced with a redesigned bracket and bolt. The actual
repair will take up to 30 minutes but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts.

I bet if you get Cruizin on the case, he can get the brake pads changed... maybe he can get another new bike. Anyhow I've made an appointment with the dealer to have this recall done. They seem to be aware of the recall. I forgot to ask if they need to order the front bracket and bolt from Kawasaki or if they already have it in stock.

JTACKM, I thought you sold your bike to get a 636... what happened?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've been assuming that my snail mail from Kawasaki was for the stalling issue so I haven't even bothered opening them. At least my procastination saved me an extra trip to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
ldls300;530801I bet if you get Cruizin on the case said:
:roll2smilie::roll2smilie:

as if i haven’t written enough letters to kawasaki already this year :wink:

i told misses_cruizin the great news today and she also had a good laugh, she reckons they will never get it fixed cos i bought one and everything i buy new falls to bits.....:roll2smilie::roll2smilie:

·
Registered
390 Posts
I actually got a call from my local dealer about it (kind of nice that they are on top of things). Haven't received a letter yet, which is kind of odd. I already took care of the ECU replacement and got a letter on that one.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
JTACKM, I thought you sold your bike to get a 636... what happened?
I was going to but then I started asking, why am I getting a bigger bike? Projectors, lower sportier bars, more aggressive riding position, and more power.

All those can be done on the 300 for far less than the cost of a new bike. I already changed the gearing to a 15T front and 40T rear and the bike is much more alive now. Longer gears, etc. All I need now is the clip ons, rear sets, and that's about it. I ordered the 636 projector lights on eBay, but got scammed.

I see getting a new bike sometime in the future, but this little bike hauls butt and is crazy easy to enjoy in the mountains.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Looked up my VIN for my 2013 SE and saw this recall listed. I am going to call my dealer tomorrow to see if I can bring this in to get the work done.

1 - 20 of 183 Posts