Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally pulled the trigger on my 2nd bike. What a search, what an evolution and boy am I going to miss the Ninja 300. It started off that I wanted something faster, that handled better, stopped quicker, etc but after I went down on public roads I really changed my riding style. I realized that I don't need a bike to do 0-60 in 2 seconds. I mainly commute and I want something comfortable and something fast enough to pull away from cars and big ole' Harleys. I consistently split lanes so something nimble enough to navigate traffic and to put a smile on my face.
When I first bought the bike it was in my mind that I would ride this for a year and move on to the FZ07.

Initial Bike Interests:
• FZ07 -> test rode
• 2013 Ninja 650
• 2017 Ninja 650
• Triumph Street Triple
• Daytona 675R

After the crash my riding style really changed, didn't care about handling at all, no canyons, no corners, just chill driving.

What I rode after the crash:
• HD - Iron 883
• HD - Street 750
• HD - Dyna Super Low S
• HD - Roadster (really wanted to like this)
• Triumph Street Twin
• Triumph Bonneville T120 Black

I was so unimpressed by all of the Harleys I rode, I actually thought it was terrible that the cost does not equal comparable performance to other makes. The fact that they don't really tune their bikes well was shocking to me, power output on their 1200's to other comparable modes is way low.
With that said I picked up a gently used Triumph Bonneville T120 Black the other day and I could not be happier. It is so much different than the Ninja 300. If I had the option I would keep both but I will start the process to sell the Ninja 300.

Thank you to this forum, I will still be on from time to time as this forum is super helpful but you will probably find me at TriumphRat moving forward. Thank you to all who helped me learn something about the Ninja300 and more importantly about motorcycles. It was a great 10k miles in the last 12 months on the Ninja.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Good for you! I am a firm believer of demo rides.
Find what fits you the best then buy it.

Reactions: jrkleinow

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I had a Bonneville too. Nice little bike after all the mods. I am sure you will be happy with your new ride.

Attachments

Reactions: jrkleinow

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a Ninja a few years ago, but I like to stick around in this forum because it's always fascinating to see whether/how people transition to other bikes. I myself got a BMW F800GT as second bike because it's sporty, won't get me into trouble easily (like the Ninja), but unlike the Ninja accommodated my frame more comfortably. Since last week, I'm the proud owner of a Ducati Multistrada 950, which has every fun aspect of the BMW, but it won't compress my spine every time I go over a frost heave or a small pothole. Plus, I just took the bike on a somewhat muddy dirt road, and it handled it like a boss. This seems to be the bike I need for my roads and my riding without sacrificing any of the grins.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did you think of the FZ-07 that you passed over it?
I think its a great motor. It just didnt do it for me, not sure if there is an actual breakdown but parts of it I hated. I cant stand an all digital dash, hated the placement of the dash, hated the footpegs and how they hit me when I was at a stop. It was pretty comfortable but for me I did not bond with it. Overall it felt cheap to me in comparison to the Ninja 300 or 650, there was no refinement of the FZ (I know that can also be part of the alure). The fact that it did not have a spot for rear spools also upset me. I am nit picking and I think it is a solid bike for the price but it didnt earn my hard earned money after the ride.

After all of that I still think Yamaha has done an amazing job with that bike and most of their lineup.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I think its a great motor...
I cant stand an all digital dash...
hated the footpegs and how they hit me when I was at a stop...
I completely agree with your statements. Call me old school, but I'm so used to an analog tach. And I just hated where the foot pegs are. For some reason, it doesn't affect some people. But each time I put my foot down, I just get angry. LOL.

But great motor! I agree. And great price point! My buddy has one. I wanted to love it. But just didn't.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Call me old school, but I'm so used to an analog tach.
My VW Golf has analog speedo, tach, temp, and fuel gauges. It is awesome
My Honda NC700 has digital everything. It is not so good.
I wish the Ninja had analog speedo and fuel.
I don't understand not having a sweep-dial for fuel. As the old saying goes, "The only thing a digital fuel gauge can accurately tell you is that this vehicle is equipped with a digital fuel gauge."

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Also pondering T120 or Street Triple. Kinda wish I could get a striple engine/weight in the T120 shape. These toys cost money, so there's always that cheaper FZ-07 (and N650) in the back of my mind. I think Street Twin suffers same fate as FZ-07. Anyway, really like the T120's looks!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback. Also pondering T120 or Street Triple. Kinda wish I could get a striple engine/weight in the T120 shape. These toys cost money, so there's always that cheaper FZ-07 (and N650) in the back of my mind. I think Street Twin suffers same fate as FZ-07. Anyway, really like the T120's looks!!!
What do you mean the Street Twin suffers the same fate as the FZ07? I actually really really liked it and it was super close, a lot closer than I thought.

·
Registered
732 Posts
What do you mean the Street Twin suffers the same fate as the FZ07? I actually really really liked it and it was super close, a lot closer than I thought.
Er, I meant that both appear to give great first ride impressions from threads of people that just bought, but then the enthusiasm later wears off wrt freeway speeds, judging from later threads. T120 should do a lot better there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts