Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just got my new 300 today. While learning to ride in a parking lot taking it really easy, I noticed a random bolt just fly off the bike.

I've searched around the bike and cannot see where it goes.

Dealer was closed by time this happened

here's a pic if anyone can determine where this goes that would be great..

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
To be on the safe side, when you get some good light I'd do a very slow once over on the bike from front to back. Take your time and be thorough. If you can, get a friend to help out.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Weird. Looks a little like the fastener where the clutch cable goes into the clutch lever, but that would be hollow and this doesn't look hollow. Could be it didn't fall off but flew up when you ran over it, but it doesn't look like anything I can find. Those grooves are so you can loosen or tighten it by had to adjust something, but what, I don't know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick reply guys. I checked out that bolt holding down the wires. It does look identical to that but a little thicker. Maybe it did just fly up from the road. I checked everything i could think of important and doesnt seem to be anything. Its riding fine so ill just take it up with the dealer when i get a chance and more comfortable riding it lol.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Road debris. Be glad it wasn't a screw or anything that punctured your tires. I saw that happen to a guy on a FZ8 the other day. Needless to say he went down 3 cars in front of me.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Doesn't look like a fairing bolt, so that could be an elemination start, eleminate what it isn't and work your way from there

·
Registered
952 Posts
Road debris. Be glad it wasn't a screw or anything that punctured your tires. I saw that happen to a guy on a FZ8 the other day. Needless to say he went down 3 cars in front of me.
So his tire was punctured and he immediately went down? Please tell more.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
He got off the 15 FWY going south on Winchester road in Temecula. There is an area where road construction was being done. I recall hearing a loud pop and then seeing him turn right. I followed (heading back to work) and recall seeing his rear tire completely flat. He kept going and made it about 100 yards after the turn; kept going and then traffic came to a halt. He went down.

Up the road is a Cycle Gear and Temecula Motorsports...so I think he was aware of the flat and hoping he could make it there.

Think the worst part was that he was wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Personally if I got a flat; I would stop right away and then call for a tow or trailer.

Reactions: San.Diego_CA_Ninja

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yeah, tires should be at right pressure all the time. Thanks for explaining.

I've noticed my rear tire loosing a tiny amount of pressure and my front tire keeping a constant pressure. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yeah, tires should be at right pressure all the time. Thanks for explaining.

I've noticed my rear tire loosing a tiny amount of pressure and my front tire keeping a constant pressure. Is this normal?

Front is supposed to 28 and rear is 32 psi. I put 29 and 33 in mine. In 4 months of owning this bike, I noticed the front go down just 2 psi.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It's natural to lose pressure over time. As the tires heat up the pressure inside expands. As the tires cool and contracts, a tiny portion of the air inside is lost through the material. The rear tire will generally be affected more since it has a larger contact patch and is the powered wheel. It's going to experience the heat cycle at a much quicker rate than the front and will be swinging between the two extremes more often. Just goes to show that you should be popping your tires before every ride to ensure you are at the proper pressure. Also remember, that the listed PSI on the tire is based on the minimum load weight. If you are a bigger kid or have a load, increase your pressure a little bit. For example, with all my gear and back pack on, I weigh a total of 210lbs. I went with 30 in the front and 34 in the rear. Works great and don't have to worry about being under pressured. When you are under pressured, the tire builds up a lot more friction and heat and more prone to failure. It's said that 20% over is better than 1% under.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Good to know. Yesterday when I checked my rear I read 31 psi. I didn't add air cuz I thought it was close enuff. Now I know better. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply guys. I checked out that bolt holding down the wires. It does look identical to that but a little thicker. Maybe it did just fly up from the road. I checked everything i could think of important and doesnt seem to be anything. Its riding fine so ill just take it up with the dealer when i get a chance and more comfortable riding it lol.
I have the same problem. It's not debris though cos I rode down my driveway and it flew out. I've been spending awhile looking for the missing hole, but then again I haven't taken the bike apart yet. Have you found the answer?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
So yours is still there?

Ducati uses Cap Screws like that to hold the front fairing to the fairing stay. My GSKR used regular philips screws but check around that area.

Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
So just got my new 300 today. While learning to ride in a parking lot taking it really easy, I noticed a random bolt just fly off the bike.

I've searched around the bike and cannot see where it goes.

Dealer was closed by time this happened

here's a pic if anyone can determine where this goes that would be great..

That is a bolt from the crate. It is the original bolt that held the handlebars to a metal plate inside the crate. It will have been replaced by a black bolt and a cap once assembled and PDI'd.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Minitwin51 has it. I had the same thing when I picked my 300 up. Went back to the dealer to find the same answer. The guy who was unpacking the crates was new and dropped the plate bolts down into the fairings. The bolt is different to the others on the bike purposefully.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts