Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
There's a difference between using coercion to apprehend a suspect and using coercion to threaten someone else to get out of getting out of trouble. As an NCO I was required to use coercive force to gain compliance sometimes. But if I were to have used it in this exact situation though, I would have lost a stripe and even get the chance to make big rocks into small rocks. He didn't use coercion to gain compliance, he used it for personal gain and to save his own ass. Officers are trained on the proper use of coercion and intimidating some kid to get out of getting shit on by the sergeant or force commander is NOT the proper use of coercion. He may not have to be a nice guy, but he DOES have the requirement to be professional and not abuse his power and authority. I agree. Accidents happen all the time and generally an officer is not going to be raked over the coals over it. I had no huge glaring issues with his rear ending the biker other than the fact that he wasn't paying attention and was tail gating. what I DO have an issue with is him then getting out and threatening the biker into submission. His actions reflect negatively on all other LEOs out there and showed a huge lack of professionalism. We all have bad days, but as a public servant you HAVE to maintain a professional front when dealing with the public. As I said earlier, you can't assume the rider looked in his mirror and freaked out and saw the cop. We can't assume that he looked in his mirror at all. Purely because you can't prove it either way. So the cop can't prove that the kid brake checked him.

He should not have put himself in that situation in the first place by not tail gating the guy. I don't hate LEOs at all. I have a lot of respect for them. I DO have an issue when an officer does something blatantly illegal and against policy that makes other LEOs look like they're all corrupt douche bags.
Why does the cop need to prove the kid brake checked him? The cop doesnt need to prove the kid wrong. The cop has to justify his actions. You should know this. Why did you hit him? It was an accident I had just changed lanes and he made an unexpected stop. I was going to attemp to read his plate. Why did you intimidate him? From my point of view it seemed like he had braked on purpose to strike my vehicle. Why did you not report it? Because I am an idiot and there was no damage. We are
suspending you for two days. The end.

LOL are you trying to use coersion on me by telling me you were an NCO on some military base?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Last I checked when I lived in Las Vegas regardless of circumstance being that close to a motorcycle from behind in general you'll get ticketed for so either way cops at fault the rider was oddly far over in his lane but he still never exited the road either

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
a Police Officer can violate various traffic laws in the performance of their duties including tailgating.

but yes hes still at fault. shat happens. all i am saying really

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Why does the cop need to prove the kid brake checked him? The cop doesnt need to prove the kid wrong. The cop has to justify his actions. You should know this. Why did you hit him? It was an accident I had just changed lanes and he made an unexpected stop. I was going to attemp to read his plate. Why did you intimidate him? From my point of view it seemed like he had braked on purpose to strike my vehicle. Why did you not report it? Because I am an idiot and there was no damage. We are
suspending you for two days. The end.

LOL are you trying to use coersion on me by telling me you were an NCO on some military base?
If you can't prove it, it wont be accepted as an excuse. If you were to watch the dash cam, there isn't sufficient evidence to support that kind of logic. It also doesn't pass the common sense sniff test. People don't win brake checking cops. They never do. They sure as hell don't do it on a motorcycle where they can be potentially killed doing it.

As I said, the cop wouldn't see any real trouble at all for rear ending the biker other than memo put in his record and a stern talking to for tail gating and not paying attention. If he's a repeat offender, he'll get some extra "class" time till allowed to go out on the road again. The issue was the illegal use of authority by coercing the victim into not pursuing his legal rights after being rear ended by the cop. You can even see where the cop briefly catches his mistake and asks the rider what he would like to do? When he saw the guy shrink back and throw the question back at him, he knew the guy was fully intimidated and confused and pressed with the whole ticket tirade closing the loop thinking he got away with it. When you see that video, even from the dash cam, you aren't going to walk away on that one. With cities and counties hurting for money and looking for every excuse to cut funding from their police forces, captains and lieutenants are going to do all they can to curb any bad PR and will hang an officer for misbehaving or publicly abusing their authority. Especially when the video makes its way onto youtube.

Your smart ass comment on me "coercing" you about being an NCO was because I've been trained in the proper use of force and application of coercion in gaining compliance and control of a situation and subject. This wasn't an example of the proper use of coercion. This is actually a prime example of the absolute WRONG way to use coercion. He didn't need to do it for compliance, the guy was already compliant. He obviously wasn't afraid of the biker being non-compliant since he didn't detain him. One thing you are not allowed to do is using coercion for personal gain. This cop had plenty of opportunities to catch himself and retract and do it the professional way. He is trained to maintain his bearing in adversity. This also brings up an issue that if he is going to act like this when he does a minor screw up, is he going to have further lapses of judgment and professionalism later on down the line? You may be surprised, but this sort of thing is taken very seriously. When you wear a uniform, you cannot lose your head and you cannot abuse your authority. Otherwise videos show up on youtube, the local news goes to town on your department and you have people up high freaking out about some bad PR that got out and jeopardizing future funding and payroll and getting them shit canned and losing their extended pension.

I understand that shit happens and there are accidents. It's how this was handled that I have issues with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This irritates me so bad. When I was in my accident six months ago, where a man ran a red light and I hit him, I got a ticket because I only had a permit and had just gotten off the highway. Absolute bullshit. I'm an experienced rider who was doing everything correctly, I shouldn't be punished after already being physically punished.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you can't prove it, it wont be accepted as an excuse. If you were to watch the dash cam, there isn't sufficient evidence to support that kind of logic. It also doesn't pass the common sense sniff test. People don't win brake checking cops. They never do. They sure as hell don't do it on a motorcycle where they can be potentially killed doing it.

As I said, the cop wouldn't see any real trouble at all for rear ending the biker other than memo put in his record and a stern talking to for tail gating and not paying attention. If he's a repeat offender, he'll get some extra "class" time till allowed to go out on the road again. The issue was the illegal use of authority by coercing the victim into not pursuing his legal rights after being rear ended by the cop. You can even see where the cop briefly catches his mistake and asks the rider what he would like to do? When he saw the guy shrink back and throw the question back at him, he knew the guy was fully intimidated and confused and pressed with the whole ticket tirade closing the loop thinking he got away with it. When you see that video, even from the dash cam, you aren't going to walk away on that one. With cities and counties hurting for money and looking for every excuse to cut funding from their police forces, captains and lieutenants are going to do all they can to curb any bad PR and will hang an officer for misbehaving or publicly abusing their authority. Especially when the video makes its way onto youtube.

Your smart ass comment on me "coercing" you about being an NCO was because I've been trained in the proper use of force and application of coercion in gaining compliance and control of a situation and subject. This wasn't an example of the proper use of coercion. This is actually a prime example of the absolute WRONG way to use coercion. He didn't need to do it for compliance, the guy was already compliant. He obviously wasn't afraid of the biker being non-compliant since he didn't detain him. One thing you are not allowed to do is using coercion for personal gain. This cop had plenty of opportunities to catch himself and retract and do it the professional way. He is trained to maintain his bearing in adversity. This also brings up an issue that if he is going to act like this when he does a minor screw up, is he going to have further lapses of judgment and professionalism later on down the line? You may be surprised, but this sort of thing is taken very seriously. When you wear a uniform, you cannot lose your head and you cannot abuse your authority. Otherwise videos show up on youtube, the local news goes to town on your department and you have people up high freaking out about some bad PR that got out and jeopardizing future funding and payroll and getting them shit canned and losing their extended pension.

I understand that shit happens and there are accidents. It's how this was handled that I have issues with.
LOL you go so far with this stuff. I think he is wrong also but I dont see it as devastating as you. I wouldnt have done that lol ; )
Who says I dont wear a uniform?

·
Registered
618 Posts
This irritates me so bad. When I was in my accident six months ago, where a man ran a red light and I hit him, I got a ticket because I only had a permit and had just gotten off the highway. Absolute bullshit. I'm an experienced rider who was doing everything correctly, I shouldn't be punished after already being physically punished.
ah that sucks. Did he get a ticket also?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
LOL you go so far with this stuff. I think he is wrong also but I dont see it as devastating as you. I wouldnt have done that lol ; )
Who says I dont wear a uniform?
It's not "devastating." It's a total lapse in integrity and good conduct. It also shows that he's willing to do what it takes to get himself out of trouble and brings a huge amount of question to his character and judgment. If he can't keep his cool and integrity in such a small event such as this, can he be trusted to do the right thing on something that's actually major? If you do wear a uniform, you would know that what he did would get you railed by the captain. Especially when it gets onto youtube and now you have to talk with the higher ups on why there is an officer acting like a thug towards his own victim. Also, if you really do wear a uniform, you should know that when you wear a uniform, people are going to be much tougher on you for everything you do wrong. You are under constant scrutiny and are charged with upholding a higher standard. Small incidences like this should never have happened. Wouldn't have been an issue if he just apologized and did the right thing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
It's not "devastating." It's a total lapse in integrity and good conduct. It also shows that he's willing to do what it takes to get himself out of trouble and brings a huge amount of question to his character and judgment. If he can't keep his cool and integrity in such a small event such as this, can he be trusted to do the right thing on something that's actually major? If you do wear a uniform, you would know that what he did would get you railed by the captain. Especially when it gets onto youtube and now you have to talk with the higher ups on why there is an officer acting like a thug towards his own victim. Also, if you really do wear a uniform, you should know that when you wear a uniform, people are going to be much tougher on you for everything you do wrong. You are under constant scrutiny and are charged with upholding a higher standard. Small incidences like this should never have happened. Wouldn't have been an issue if he just apologized and did the right thing.
lol your still doing it. What do you do for work now?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
lol your still doing it. What do you do for work now?
If you don't see why this is an issue, then there is no helping you. It's a pretty easy case of why this is totally unacceptable behavior but you are blind to it because he's a cop and can't do any wrong. His golden aura of sainthood means he can't do any wrong. I get it. Any criticism that came his way and you put on your blinders and called all those who didn't like it cop haters. Meanwhile I don't hate cops at all. It's my respect for police and what they actually do for us that makes this difficult to watch.

And as far as what I do for work now, recently medically disabled from service, and separated. Will be going back to school to pursue mechanical engineering so I don't have to go back to a job where I get shot at by small arms, RPGS, and SAMS. Thanks for asking and trying to turn the argument to a personal level instead of a logical one.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was trying to calm you down. You get so excited. I never said the cop was right. I said he was wrong. He shouldve just called another car to take the report. He shouldnt have even spoke to the guy other than to see if he was hurt.

Actually the whole idea of the cop cant do anything wrong is what you are saying. I am saying cops are human and they make mistakes all the time. I am saying its a mistake. You are saying its some big huge thing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Seems like this topic is getting pretty heated but my 2c is the cop was in the wrong. The rider consciously slowed down (over cautiously) knowing a cop was behind him which had him being awefully cautious. He tried to let the car in, who was unfortunately a spastic who didn't know what he was doing (probably also bein cautious of the cop). The cop was
Probably punching in the bikes plates and wasn't looking, ran into him. And tried to weasel his way out by intimidation... This is just my 2cc but it seems legit to me

·
Registered
219 Posts
Time for the view from a law enforcement officer: I watched the video a few times so a can properly see what's going on. First in the cops right side rear view mirror he could see the bike perform a lane split. Which I believe is illegal in Vegas. Which is why the cop got behind him in the first place. When the biker does see the cop he try's to be a good little rider and let a car in. What I observed next was the rider slowed down to the point to almost a complete stop with more then enough room for the other vehicle to enter the lane. The cop was indeed most likely running the bikes tag for wants and warrants, and wasn't fully paying attention to the road and the bikes position and location on the road. In which causing the marked patrol vehicle to strike the bike in a front to rear motion.
Did the bike need to almost stop on the road before getting hit.... No. But it is the cops fault for the crash. And to be completely honest who in the world isn't mad when they get into a crash. When I got into mine I was pissed. Everyone gets mad to a point when something like this happens. Should the cop take it out on the rider, no, but it's over now so nothing can change that.
I get pissed when a passing car almost runs me over on the interstate because they don't pay attention and see a patrol vehicle with lights on and I have to jump on my hood so I can go home that day. Cops aren't perfect we all have emotions, sometimes it gets the best of us like everyone else. What a lot of people probly don't realize his car camera probly was reviewed and he was give a ticket for following to closely.
Most people will not like this review of the video. But then again, that's your call. I remain un bias to these thing and I find what happened and how and why it happened and who's at fault. That's how I work every crash and every investigation.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I was trying to calm you down. You get so excited. I never said the cop was right. I said he was wrong. He shouldve just called another car to take the report. He shouldnt have even spoke to the guy other than to see if he was hurt.

Actually the whole idea of the cop cant do anything wrong is what you are saying. I am saying cops are human and they make mistakes all the time. I am saying its a mistake. You are saying its some big huge thing.
You weren't trying to calm me down, you were being condescending and flippant about it. If anything you have been trying to rile everything up.

As I said many times already, I perfectly understand the officer is human and makes mistakes. The rear ending was an unfortunately incident. I understand the officer made a mistake and hit the rider. I also perfectly understand that he was angry and yelled at the rider for a bit. What takes it from a simple mistake to misconduct is when he threatens his way out of legal liability.

If all he did was just yell at him and vent I wouldn't have an issue with it at all. It was when he lost integrity, was what I had an issue with. What makes it worse is that it got plastered onto youtube for all to see.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you hit somone in the back, you were following too closely or distracted. Otherwise, if some kid or dog or deer runs out in front of you, you would expect to be rear-ended if you braked. The cop wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. This happens all the time at stop signs and yield signs where the second person is anticipating what the person in front should be doing. That don't cut it. Imagine what would happen with the now-infamous Ninja 300 stall with that cop behind you.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Time for the view from a law enforcement officer: I watched the video a few times so a can properly see what's going on. First in the cops right side rear view mirror he could see the bike perform a lane split. Which I believe is illegal in Vegas. Which is why the cop got behind him in the first place. When the biker does see the cop he try's to be a good little rider and let a car in. What I observed next was the rider slowed down to the point to almost a complete stop with more then enough room for the other vehicle to enter the lane. The cop was indeed most likely running the bikes tag for wants and warrants, and wasn't fully paying attention to the road and the bikes position and location on the road. In which causing the marked patrol vehicle to strike the bike in a front to rear motion.
Did the bike need to almost stop on the road before getting hit.... No. But it is the cops fault for the crash. And to be completely honest who in the world isn't mad when they get into a crash. When I got into mine I was pissed. Everyone gets mad to a point when something like this happens. Should the cop take it out on the rider, no, but it's over now so nothing can change that.
I get pissed when a passing car almost runs me over on the interstate because they don't pay attention and see a patrol vehicle with lights on and I have to jump on my hood so I can go home that day. Cops aren't perfect we all have emotions, sometimes it gets the best of us like everyone else. What a lot of people probly don't realize his car camera probly was reviewed and he was give a ticket for following to closely.
Most people will not like this review of the video. But then again, that's your call. I remain un bias to these thing and I find what happened and how and why it happened and who's at fault. That's how I work every crash and every investigation.

This is what i've been saying the whole time.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you hit somone in the back, you were following too closely or distracted. Otherwise, if some kid or dog or deer runs out in front of you, you would expect to be rear-ended if you braked. The cop wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. This happens all the time at stop signs and yield signs where the second person is anticipating what the person in front should be doing. That don't cut it. Imagine what would happen with the now-infamous Ninja 300 stall with that cop behind you.
This would never see a court. The rider makes a claim. The department pays for damages if there are any. In a rear end collision there are few arguments.

·
Registered
618 Posts
You weren't trying to calm me down, you were being condescending and flippant about it. If anything you have been trying to rile everything up.

As I said many times already, I perfectly understand the officer is human and makes mistakes. The rear ending was an unfortunately incident. I understand the officer made a mistake and hit the rider. I also perfectly understand that he was angry and yelled at the rider for a bit. What takes it from a simple mistake to misconduct is when he threatens his way out of legal liability.

If all he did was just yell at him and vent I wouldn't have an issue with it at all. It was when he lost integrity, was what I had an issue with. What makes it worse is that it got plastered onto youtube for all to see.
I had to look up the definition of flippant. You win I guess.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts