Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This rider in Las Vegas did nothing wrong in my eyes... He was courteous and allowed the white car in the left lane with their blinker on for a good minute change lanes in front of him, as he slowed down an allowed this he traffic had backed up and the rider needed to almost come to a stop. The police officer behind him bumped him... Then the typical BS ensues!!! Enjoy and please share and forward on...

http://youtu.be/T5Rb_3GlMTM

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
221 Posts
The cop acted poorly, but I still think the rider was driving incorrectly.

He was so far over, it looked like he was about to pull off the road. Not to mention he is practically riding in the A pillar of every car behind him.

Also, he was riding somewhat quickly earlier, all of a sudden he decides to play nice and let someone lane change? To say nothing for the fact he was ALSO riding in the blind spot of the guy changing lanes.

Long story short, the cop WAS at fault for driving too closely, but in my opinion, the rider did not make himself as visible as possible and did not keep track of the vehicle behind him (which, unless you trust every other car on the road with your life, is your responsibility).

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have no problems with the police, my best friend and riding buddy is a cop. I have to say this was NOT the bikers fault at all.

When you operate any vehicle you the driver are responsible for whatever is in front of you, this is a case of failure to maintain safe distance on the police car. They were in stop and go traffic that is a prime example of having to pay even more attention then usual because what ever is in front of you may stop suddenly.

The officer stated that his break light was working properly so no mechanical failure was observed on the bike.

I would have probably done the same think in this situation, slowing down to let the car over the may or may not have seen me there, period!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Id say the cop was a d-bag about it. Did not care about the fact he hit the bike at all. The guy on the bike handled this very well. With that he needs to not ride on the white line and also the car had more then the room he need to move right. I think he did it just to get the cop to hit him.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The officer truly felt the rider stopped short just to mess with him. Given the excessive lane change prior by the rider the police officer took notice. The officer then came in behind to follow the rider to see what he might do next, and when the rider stop to allow another car in he felt like he was being made a fool. I think the officer had a right to be upset and handle himself in check, so did the rider after messing with the officer. Riding with a camera on in traffic was so for a purpose other than safety; I think he was trying to make a point and did with his YouTube post. Point is people don't like being filmed, especially an official trying to do his job.

·
Registered
839 Posts
That cop was an authoritative asshole if you ask me;
"I could write you a shit load of tickets"

Also keep in mind the camera could make it look like the guy was riding far left, but even so why does that matter? No law says you have to ride a certain spot in a lane on a bike. He was riding away from the traffic.

As far as quick stopping, if the cop was the appropriate distance back he would have had stopping time. Sorry, cop was in the wrong in my eyes.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The officer truly felt the rider stopped short just to mess with him. Given the excessive lane change prior by the rider the police officer took notice. The officer then came in behind to follow the rider to see what he might do next, and when the rider stop to allow another car in he felt like he was being made a fool. I think the officer had a right to be upset and handle himself in check, so did the rider after messing with the officer. Riding with a camera on in traffic was so for a purpose other than safety; I think he was trying to make a point and did with his YouTube post. Point is people don't like being filmed, especially an official trying to do his job.
Yet that same officer will be recording you in your interaction with him as well. It's well within your rights to have a helmet cam on. It's also well within your rights to use up as much of and any part of your lane that you wish to. Him being on the white line doesn't make it right for the cop to be trying to read the manufactured by on the license plate either. Just like flying in formation, separation is the responsibility of the trailing vehicle. I'm normally a HUGE advocate for the police, but this officer's use of coercion is a blatant disregard for his responsibilities. In the military and I know LEO are taught the same, when dealing with and in the public eye, always expect to be filmed. Even if it's a setup, you should not be putting yourself in a situation to be brake checked in the first place. You don't even hear the tires or brakes being pushed anywhere close to their limits at all. The officer just lost focus and didn't pay attention. He was probably illegally on his computer typing plate numbers and didn't look up in time.

In this particular case, the officer was deep in the wrong. It was bad enough he wasn't paying attention and tail gating the hell out of the rider. It became criminal and bad for his career when he then attempts to use coercion to get rid of the rider and try and sneak his way out of getting in trouble. Coercion , threatening, and intimidation is a huge NO NO. Even the union can't save you from that one. This cop probably got put on suspension for the first bit of the investigation and then got put behind a desk to push papers until the investigation is over. If he doesn't get immediately canned for this, he definitely will not be getting good marks on his performance review and resetting his time to promoting.

If you are ever involved in an accident with an LEO, the first thing you need to do after making sure you are in one piece is to get the officer's badge number. The other information you will need is the officer's vehicle number, unit designation, duty sergeant, and duty force commander. At this point he is probably going to cordon off everything, make you wait there, and call his sergeant/force commander out to his position. The sergeant/force commander will then give you step by step on how to file the complaint, the number for their legal department for reimbursement, and the report number. He will also probably give you his badge number and information as well so you can easily follow up later. Whatever you do though, don't mouth off to the officer. Be respectful, but don't let yourself get coerced either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
well pretty much everytime if you rear end someone, you will lose that no matter what for not keeping a safe distance. The fault will go on the driver in the back even if he did stop all of a sudden so meh. But it would be interesting to see what happens if he would have fought it.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
That was just weird. If I was the cop I would think he did that on purpose also. C'mon.
Doesn't matter in this particular incident. There was an obvious car ahead of the rider who was potentially going to force his way in regardless and the rider can easily say what he just did.

"That guy ahead was trying to change lanes so I stayed back to safely allow him in."

Right there with the video backing it up, the cop loses without even seeing a court room. The moment the Sergeant and force commander see both videos, this guy is going to get hammered. Notice in the update that it's already reported as "Under Investigation." Now if you are out in the middle of nowhere and you brake check someone, then yes, you are going to fry for that one. But even then, you are supposed to give enough space to the vehicle ahead of you that you can do an emergency stop if the guy ahead of you also does an emergency stop. There is no law that required you to be up another person's ass as they change into your lane so the guy behind you can be a foot further forward. What if the rider didn't give that amount of space for the car coming in? He is much further forward, car forces it's way in, rider slams on his brakes, and the cop tail gating behind him crushes rider in the middle of both vehicles. The other thing is the rider has the helmet cam aligned direct center on top of the helmet. He didn't even move his head to look at his mirrors. He probably was not intentionally trying to hook that officer up. A motorcycle is not the vehicle to be purposely brake checking people in.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
So after looking at the vid a few times I see the bike go to let car in front. Traffic starts to speed up and as it dose he also speeds up but then traffic is slowing and to let car in he had to slow even more due to speeding up at first. I don't think he meant to do it and felt bad about it. I think this is why he keep saying sorry he also is not sounding like a kid who is the type of person to just try and get a cop to hit him. Had it been a kid like that I think he mouth off to the cop and what not. Hey try very hard to get the cop to calm down also I think he even sounds like he is sorry in the vid.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Doesn't matter in this particular incident. There was an obvious car ahead of the rider who was potentially going to force his way in regardless and the rider can easily say what he just did.

"That guy ahead was trying to change lanes so I stayed back to safely allow him in."

Right there with the video backing it up, the cop loses without even seeing a court room. The moment the Sergeant and force commander see both videos, this guy is going to get hammered. Notice in the update that it's already reported as "Under Investigation." Now if you are out in the middle of nowhere and you brake check someone, then yes, you are going to fry for that one. But even then, you are supposed to give enough space to the vehicle ahead of you that you can do an emergency stop if the guy ahead of you also does an emergency stop. There is no law that required you to be up another person's ass as they change into your lane so the guy behind you can be a foot further forward. What if the rider didn't give that amount of space for the car coming in? He is much further forward, car forces it's way in, rider slams on his brakes, and the cop tail gating behind him crushes rider in the middle of both vehicles. The other thing is the rider has the helmet cam aligned direct center on top of the helmet. He didn't even move his head to look at his mirrors. He probably was not intentionally trying to hook that officer up. A motorcycle is not the vehicle to be purposely brake checking people in.
lol give me a break. You are thinking way to much into this lol. I know you guys all hate cops but its just an accident. The motorcycle rider was prob nervous cause a cop was behind him. The cop was prob shocked that he bumped the motorcycle. Cops are people also. The first thing that came into his mind was prob that guy just did that on purpose. It’s well known that some people will try to get hit by a cop car so they can sue. It seems like after he spoke to the motorcyclist for a second he calms down and realizes maybe that’s not the case. Cops crash all the time. They dont get fired or suspended over it useually. Its just a memo. The cop is more likely to get in trouble for not reporting the accident than hurting the motorcyclists feelings.

There is no rule that a cop has to be nice to you. No rule that he cant show emotion. If cops all got in trouble for being assholes sometimes we would have none left lol. That cop is working in vegas. Im sure 90% of people he comes into contact are assholes to him first.

Did the cop rear end him... yes. Does that make it the cops fault.... yes. Did what the rider did look fucked up from the cops viewpoint.... yes.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Coercion , threatening, and intimidation is a huge NO NO. Even the union can't save you from that one. .
A cop without coercion is just a normal person.

"Coercion is modeled by police academy trainers, police academy structure, and training officers — it is the essence and purpose of the law itself. Coercion is forced conformity with behavior predetermined by one who has the power to impose that conforming behavior. It is the substance of police manuals and policy. Many leadership styles are predicated on coercion in one form or another.
Instructors and field training officers work on the trainee’s skill in projecting authority and control. Officers learn about eye contact, posture, and voice inflection as means of establishing supremacy in their interactions. Domination and intimidation become such a part of the police persona that officers’ personal lives and relationships often suffer."

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
A cop without coercion is just a normal person.

"Coercion is modeled by police academy trainers, police academy structure, and training officers — it is the essence and purpose of the law itself. Coercion is forced conformity with behavior predetermined by one who has the power to impose that conforming behavior. It is the substance of police manuals and policy. Many leadership styles are predicated on coercion in one form or another.
Instructors and field training officers work on the trainee’s skill in projecting authority and control. Officers learn about eye contact, posture, and voice inflection as means of establishing supremacy in their interactions. Domination and intimidation become such a part of the police persona that officers’ personal lives and relationships often suffer."
There's a difference between using coercion to apprehend a suspect and using coercion to threaten someone else to get out of getting out of trouble. As an NCO I was required to use coercive force to gain compliance sometimes. But if I were to have used it in this exact situation though, I would have lost a stripe and even get the chance to make big rocks into small rocks. He didn't use coercion to gain compliance, he used it for personal gain and to save his own ass. Officers are trained on the proper use of coercion and intimidating some kid to get out of getting shit on by the sergeant or force commander is NOT the proper use of coercion. He may not have to be a nice guy, but he DOES have the requirement to be professional and not abuse his power and authority. I agree. Accidents happen all the time and generally an officer is not going to be raked over the coals over it. I had no huge glaring issues with his rear ending the biker other than the fact that he wasn't paying attention and was tail gating. what I DO have an issue with is him then getting out and threatening the biker into submission. His actions reflect negatively on all other LEOs out there and showed a huge lack of professionalism. We all have bad days, but as a public servant you HAVE to maintain a professional front when dealing with the public. As I said earlier, you can't assume the rider looked in his mirror and freaked out and saw the cop. We can't assume that he looked in his mirror at all. Purely because you can't prove it either way. So the cop can't prove that the kid brake checked him.

He should not have put himself in that situation in the first place by not tail gating the guy. I don't hate LEOs at all. I have a lot of respect for them. I DO have an issue when an officer does something blatantly illegal and against policy that makes other LEOs look like they're all corrupt douche bags.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Inexperienced rider perhaps? Coming to a dead stop with the space he had and riding the way he was? None of that needed to happen. The cop got behind him for a reason in the first place but then to actually bump him? The cop was flustered/embarrassed because he just rear ended someone and pissed at the same time because this guy just did something that in my opinion was erratic and unexpected. Doesn't excuse the officer but both of these guys screwed up.

Thankfully it was just a bump and the bike didn't get away from him. I was rear ended sitting at an intersection waiting for a light to change when I got hit from behind with enough force to knock me back and roll off the bike. Not fun watching your bike ride away without you :D Or realizing while it's happening that yes indeed, this is happening because a car has just hit your bike and you are about to be struck by that same car as you fly off the bike. Thankfully she had hit me with just enough force to tear my hands off the grips but had come to a complete stop after impact.

It was just enough force to damage the frame, declare the bike totaled and get a new bike out of the deal. A relatively new bike. I had just bought the bike used 2 weeks prior and got enough out of the settlement to get a newer used bike and 6 months of chiropractic service. Which was probably more from me running out into the intersection and lifting the bike up than the actual impact ;)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Last I checked when I lived in Las Vegas regardless of circumstance being that close to a motorcycle from behind in general you'll get ticketed for so either way cops at fault the rider was oddly far over in his lane but he still never exited the road either

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Last I checked when I lived in Las Vegas regardless of circumstance being that close to a motorcycle from behind in general you'll get ticketed for so either way cops at fault the rider was oddly far over in his lane but he still never exited the road either

Yep. There isn't a law requiring the rider to be dead center in the middle of the lane at all times. I also personally probably would have stopped right where he did too. I've been closer before on someone changing lanes like that and have had them 9/10 stomp their brakes the moment they get into the lane almost causing me to rear end them. Giving them the extra space to do what they need to do is erring on the side of caution and not illegal either. With the unpredictability of bumper to bumper commuter traffic, you have to make space with people and sometimes know when to back off and yield to something that out weighs you by a factor of 4. The rider's earlier riding of lane splitting and erratic riding, although not good, isn't relevant at the point when he got hit. He just started speeding up again, saw the car forcing the issue into his lane, and decided to stop and let the car change lanes without making it into a close quarters drama.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts