Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I got my bike I wave to all other bikers, usually only get waves back half the time. Noticing the Harley type bikes wearing no gear and no helmets never wave. Anyways what is the protocol when riding up to another bike? Do you stay behind them or pull up next to them? Mainly I don't want to offend some real like biker outlaw dude and get my *** kicked. Also what if you see a group of riders is it ok to join them? I'm guessing if I see any hells angels patches to just avoid those guys at all costs.

I know my msf instructor told us to not park by Harley's cause if you kick up dirt or drop your bike into there's you won't be walking away.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
So since I got my bike I wave to all other bikers, usually only get waves back half the time. Noticing the Harley type bikes wearing no gear and no helmets never wave. Anyways what is the protocol when riding up to another bike? Do you stay behind them or pull up next to them? Mainly I don't want to offend some real like biker outlaw dude and get my *** kicked. Also what if you see a group of riders is it ok to join them? I'm guessing if I see any hells angels patches to just avoid those guys at all costs.

I know my msf instructor told us to not park by Harley's cause if you kick up dirt or drop your bike into there's you won't be walking away.
I pull up to the right/left of the guy but stay back a few feet. I notice only half the riders ever wave back also. As far as parking next to them I think any bike you crash yours in the guy will be piss off even if its not a Harley and may kick your ass. Also I have road with a few hells angels and they are not all like what you see on tv.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Heh, not to worry about Harley Riders all together, some are doctors, lawyers, preachers, dads, moms, sisters (don't know about nuns), brothers and lots of other types. There are a few hard core ones out there don't get me wrong, but a majority of those are ones who don't "patch" out and are regular folks. If you see them with a 1% on a patch, don't even talk to them unless they talk to you first, and then be polite.
As far as the wave thing goes, some do, some don't, some don't care, some don't know what it means, yes even some harley riders don't know as they are probably just as new at riding as some here.
It takes all types to ride, but they ride and so do you. My philosophy is, treat everyone like you want them to treat you, if you show respect, you will get it in return, if you don't get it back, then don't give again, walk away with a smile and know you are better than that.

·
Registered
561 Posts
i'd say of the 200+ bikes i passed today at least 150 gave me the 2 on the ground back, even a few hardley dudes nodded, i even said sup to a few scooter people.

on a few of my lane splits when i got to the front there was already a bike there. I just stay behind them a bit as a courtesy. one of the was a chick on a hardley, I stayed behind to the right of her then i took the right lane as she took the left after the light, then i lane split up again and watched her as she couldnt make the lane split with her big ass mirrors... lol....

i typically dont acknowledge total squids as I think they give us a bad name. 2 dudes today with liter bikes, shorts, tennis shoes, one with no shirt on one with a tank top cutting in and out of cars and riding wheelies. I didn't lane split to catch up with them I just hung back until they turned off some where.

·
Registered
805 Posts
It depends when you are really.Here in my town harley riders are actually the ones who wave to me most sport bike riders in my town are all gangster tough guy types. Were kinda in the middle between Mongol and HA territory here but even they're actually not snobs and wave. As a general rule I wouldn't get up in anyone's space regardless.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i will give "the nod" to anyone, i dont join group rides unless invited, an i keep to myself & do my own thing & avoid trouble. worked for me for years & dont plan on changing it soon

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wave if you want, don't if you want. Being friendly whether you are motorcyclist or not is simply a reflection of you. Most bikers love to get a wave, and doesn't matter what kinda bike they are on either. I enjoy getting waves and nods at lights from other riders and non-riders and tend to do the same. Just be yourself and not worry about what others are doing or thinking.

Personally, I think pulling up to another rider without and invite is an invasion of their personal space. It you really want to talk or say hi do it from just behind and see if they react kindly in return. Better to respect people on the road and not be the asshole.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I would say 75% of people wave back;
but usually the 25% that don't are Harley.

I think it's cause they don't respect the bike we ride not so much that they are being rude to you persay.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Couldnt care less if anyone was riding a harley or a scooter, I will still give the biker nod. No reply well fuck em, as someone mentioned I feel better knowing I have done the right thing.

As far as the 1% thing goes with the patched bikie mobs, couldnt care less either. They made the decision to be different to the rest of society, if they have a problem with me talking to them without "asking permission" or whatever, they can also go fuck themselves. They are no better than me, nor do they have any more right to use the road than I do. I wont move an inch if I have right of way, couldnt care less how much of a hurry they are in. But will still give the nod regardless.

Having a patch doesnt make you special, riding a 300 Ninja does. :p

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Dont hold back there Jeff, tell us how you really feel mate :))
Yeah I usually do mate :D

Na coming from having ridden a harley myself previously and knowing full well that other harley/cruiser riders generally think of sport bikes as rubbish, I dont have much time for them if they think they are more deserving to the road than anyone else. I love all bikes!!

Got a few patched mates also, 3 in fact. They dont even wave to me when I see them on the road and they know its me..... just for fear of reprisal from other members they ride with. Cant have V-Rod Muscle nodding a 300cc sportbike now can we :eek:
My OH&S manager at work here is a patched member also of a group I will remain nameless for my own benefit, but has told me as much. I said didnt you see me bro? He was like yeah I did for sure but my sargent at arms was riding right behind me, not gonna acknowledge ya mate. So yeah.

Having said that I have received a few nods from groups of patched members before, so I assume it is just up to the individual rider, and how big their pair is.

Other than that, I would wave/nod a pushy if they were going quick enough!!!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I personally just wave at everyone, sometimes even scooters and mopeds. Hey if they are comfortable riding on of them, then they are a badass to me! I couldn't do it!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
If I end up coming up behind another biker, I either change lanes or hang back until they allow me to pass. If a faster biker/biker group is behind me, then I'll move out of the way and let them pass.

I usually only wave when people wave to me cuz I'm bad at remembering. I'm starting to get more into the habit of waving from groups rides though. Definitely more waves from sportbikes than harleys. Never from scooters haha. I personally don't care to wave at scooters.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Sport bike riders I give the upside down peace sign that means "keep 2 wheels on the road" and I always get it back (or even first)

If a harley or non-sport bike rider waves, I usually wave or visibly nod back.

As far as etiquette on the road, I often pull in with a group of riders on P.C.H. in a staggered formation (a 2 lane highway on the coast) to ride for a while, be it a group of Ducati's or a group of Harleys. Riding on a motorcycle I find it safer to ride in a group like this, and cars usually give the group plenty of room.

As far as passing another motorcycle, I NEVER merge into a lane with the them (side by side). If there isn't another lane to pass them, I just ride on the left side of the lane behind them, and almost always they move to the right and wave me by (and if another motorcycle is behind me, I do the same).

·
Registered
561 Posts
Having a patch doesnt make you special, riding a 300 Ninja does. :p

No riding the little yellow bus to school makes you special...

no offense to the special people... I love all people... well except my brother, he stole my bike when he ran away from home 20+ years ago and I havent talked to him since...

·
Banned
613 Posts
I wave if waved too. I never join a group unless invited.

·
Registered
323 Posts
We rode 6 hours on the freeway on a sunny Sunday afternoon. After 2 hours I gave up on waving because there were so many bikes out I could hardly put my hand back on the handlebars before it was time to wave again. It got really crazy I couldn't enjoy the ride I was waving so much.

I don't know why some other people don't wave but I don't let it bother me. I park my bike where I want.

I generally don't like to ride in a group of people I don't know or haven't rode with before. Gotta know who the knuckle-heads are in the group, road chemistry, and most important, I gotta know if they are runners. Some groups have a policy, "we don't stop for cops".

If I see a group I might want to cruise with, I'd get in near the anchor and when we got to a stop light, I'd ask:
1. What's the destination?
2. Ya'll gettin it or taking it easy?
3. Everybody straight here? (No stolen bikes, bad tags, or intoxicated riders)

Usually the person leading the group and the person bringing up the rear know the most about the group. I have to make a personal choice based on the info I get whether or not I want to ride with them.

It is not smart to just roll up to a group and tag along unless you know them.

When I roll out, my first stop is the gas station to make sure I have a full tank. If you do run into somebody you want to roll with, 20 bikes stopping for gas for one guy to fill up is a hassle.

The best way to get some decent group rides going is to find the local hot spot. It's usually a car wash, hooters, or fast food joint with enough parking lot space. Socialize a bit so you can figure out who are the hot dogs and who are the more mature crowd. Here you can find out where the rides happen, what type of roads they ride, and what pace they ride at. Most group rides happen early Saturday or Sunday morning. You just need to find the meetup spot.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts