Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
If it is in fact org, org, blk, blk, brn, then the resistance is 330 ohm at 1% tolerance. (The temperature rating only seems to apply to 6-band codes.)

In the old days we would check to see if the spark plug connectors arc to ground. If you have spark, do you have fuel AND air? If so, it is in time?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I definitely have about half a tank of fuel. I can hear it swishing around. Also, when I turn the bike on the fuel gauge says about a half a tank.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I definitely have about half a tank of fuel. I can hear it swishing around. Also, when I turn the bike on the fuel gauge says about a half a tank.

It needs the fuel pump to move the fuel from the fuel tank to the engine. The fuel pump won't work without the resistor in the ignition.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don't know how resistors work...
Real quick: Current is the volume of electrons flowing through a circuit. Voltage is the pressure pushing them along. Resistors resist the flow of electrical current.

If you put different values of resistors in parallel they will all have the same voltage across them, but the current that flows through them will depend on their individual resistances.

If you put different values of resistors in series, they would have the same current flowing through them, but the one with less resistance will have a lower voltage across it. In this case, the pressure/voltage built up across a resistor is proportional to how easy current can flow through it. The extreme would be if one resistor was shorted; it would have zero volts across it. If you have two resistors of the same value, the voltage would be divided evenly between them. Changing the ratio of resistances, you can make the voltage between them anything you want.

Not sure how that applies to the ignition! haha

·
Registered
425 Posts
The resistor is definitely 330 ohms. Take a look at http://imgur.com/pOPfPHE.
Excellent. Why didn't we start there! haha

Hey, is it possible that oil got into the air filter? I heard that that can happen when the bike is laid down. I guess it would take a lot of it to prevent starting tho.

There is a little tube that hangs off the air filter on the left side. You could visually inspect it. If it looks like anything is in it, pull it off and drain it. I think it's normal to have a tiny amount of oil in it at least.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Excellent. Why didn't we start there! haha

Hey, is it possible that oil got into the air filter? I heard that that can happen when the bike is laid down. I guess it would take a lot of it to prevent starting tho.

There is a little tube that hangs off the air filter on the left side. You could visually inspect it. If it looks like anything is in it, pull it off and drain it. I think it's normal to have a tiny amount of oil in it at least.
It's highly unlikely since the last time (& only time) I dropped the bike was about 10 months ago. It's been starting fine since then (up until a month ago).

I'll check it out tonight though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Also - doing some math (1/total resistance = 1/resistor A + 1/resistor B), it seems like if I put another 143.4782618 ohm resistor in parallel with the existing 330 ohm resistor, I can have the equivalent of a 100 ohm resistor.

Does anyone know what the resistance would be? 100 +/- how much? I've got 5 x 100 ohm resistors and could do something like:

330 ohm in parallel with a 140 ohm, which gets total resistance to 98.29 ohms.

140 ohm resistor is 100 ohm resistor in series with a 40 ohm resistor.
40 ohm resistor is 100 ohm resistor in parallel with a 100 ohm resistor and a 200 ohm resistor.
200 ohm resistor is 100 ohm resistor in series with another 100 ohm resistor.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just tried this trick out using 5x100 ohm resistors with the existing 330 ohm resistor to create a single 100 ohm resistor. Once I had that circuit working, I was able to start (aka hot wire my bike) the engine.

Next step is to unscrew the existing ignition which looks like a PIA since it uses those plastic snap on bolts so you can unscrew it easily.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So scary i believe that is the exact Same one i bought. It will not work. It turns on the bke BUT WILL NOT start. Use an OEM ignition. Double the price but will work. I bet the fuel pump does a 2 second sound amd stops. With OEM it will soumd about 5 secs or more. Once i plugged an ignition from a friendsstock 300 it worked. So i bought a used one. And it strated right up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just tried this trick out using 5x100 ohm resistors with the existing 330 ohm resistor to create a single 100 ohm resistor. Once I had that circuit working, I was able to start (aka hot wire my bike) the engine.

Next step is to unscrew the existing ignition which looks like a PIA since it uses those plastic snap on bolts so you can unscrew it easily.
I didnt have this knowledge so i just swapped it for a used OEM.

·
Registered
425 Posts
For serious? Why not just replace the 330 with a 100?

Do you have the service manual? (I was just checking out the throttle sensor.) The manual might be helpful. You can Google for it, or I could send you a copy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
For serious? Why not just replace the 330 with a 100?

Do you have the service manual? (I was just checking out the throttle sensor.) The manual might be helpful. You can Google for it, or I could send you a copy.
Yeah, I guess I could have done that but I would have had to cut the 330 ohm resistor off and solder the 100 ohm resistor on. And I wasn't 100% sure the resistor thing was the root cause.

I don't have the service manual so if you can send it to me as PM that would be great.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So scary i believe that is the exact Same one i bought. It will not work. It turns on the bke BUT WILL NOT start. Use an OEM ignition. Double the price but will work. I bet the fuel pump does a 2 second sound amd stops. With OEM it will soumd about 5 secs or more. Once i plugged an ignition from a friendsstock 300 it worked. So i bought a used one. And it strated right up.
Yeah, I still have my OEM ignition. I presume just the cylinder is damaged and I can swap that out with the new one I got from China.

However, it turns out removing the OEM ignition is significantly harder than I had thought. I'm still stuck on how to remove it.

If anyone has any ideas for how to do it, I would love to know. If I figure it out - I'll try to post picture or steps out here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The kickstand switch should just be in the up position correct? It slides in the little ball when the kickstand is up.

What's a good way to test the clutch switch?

I know he changed the ignition out in the bike but it comes on and cranks so I wouldn't think this was a problem.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts