Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a 2013 ninja 300 ABS for one of my friends. I am not familiar with these bikes at all. He dropped the bike while moving and couldn't get it to start. It cranks but won't start and the heck engine light blinks after cranking just a few seconds. I read about the tip over sensor and we put on a new one but it still does the same thing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Check the kick stand switch make sure it hasn't been knock out of position also the clutch switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The kickstand switch should just be in the up position correct? It slides in the little ball when the kickstand is up.

What's a good way to test the clutch switch?

I know he changed the ignition out in the bike but it comes on and cranks so I wouldn't think this was a problem.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key? Are the fuel lines well connected? Does it have enough fuel? Are the spark plugs creating spark? Have you checked all the fuses?

After the bike was dropped, did he turn the key off and the kill switch as well before attempting to turn it back on? This resets the BAS.

You can see if jumping the clutch switch wires helps. If the bike reads that it's in neutral then the clutch switch shouldn't be preventing the bike front turning on. And you can try the same on the kickstand sensor wires.

A faulty kill switch can prevent it from turning on.

This is all I can think of for now.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Why did he change the ignition? That maybe the problem. Check to make sure none of the pins backed out of the connector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the help. I'm going to try testing the switches now. Just reverse the wires is all you have to do?

I'm not sure why he changed the ignition switch, but since it plugs in with a harness I would assume it's installed correctly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And yes the fuel pump does prime. I don't know if he turned the key off and back on again before trying to start it but I have done that before and after I put the new tip over sensor in. I didn't know you had to do the kill switch also though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, im having the same problem. Did you get the bike fixed? If so how was it fixed?

Background on my bike. Someone tried to steal my bike and broke my ignition with a screwdriver. And left my bike on its left side overnight . I found it the next morning and picked it up. I changed the ignition because it was no longer operable. But my bike does not start and the FI light flashes, it sounds like the starter is trying to turn over. I changed the tip over sensor and still the same. When i turn it on i hear a short buzzing sound which someone told me is my fuel not priming. It used to buzz for a longer time when it worked. Pls help. Thank you.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi, im having the same problem. Did you get the bike fixed? If so how was it fixed?

Background on my bike. Someone tried to steal my bike and broke my ignition with a screwdriver. And left my bike on its left side overnight . I found it the next morning and picked it up. I changed the ignition because it was no longer operable. But my bike does not start and the FI light flashes, it sounds like the starter is trying to turn over. I changed the tip over sensor and still the same. When i turn it on i hear a short buzzing sound which someone told me is my fuel not priming. It used to buzz for a longer time when it worked. Pls help. Thank you.

Have you checked the FI error code?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Just throwing this out there... because it happened to me... Make sure the tip over sensor is the proper way in the mount... there is a little arrow that points up but is hard to see. I took that sensor off three times to test it... each time put it back on upside down... how could I do that? well its all because of the connector... On my Ducati, the connector points the opposite way, just a force of habit... Anyway the check engine light just flashed but didn't throw a code like it was supposed to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did use an after market ignition. I was also thinking it could be that . I just assumed it was functioning since the bike turns on and tries to start. You think this ignition switxh isnt sending the correct power to the fuel pump ?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I did use an after market ignition. I was also thinking it could be that . I just assumed it was functioning since the bike turns on and tries to start. You think this ignition switxh isnt sending the correct power to the fuel pump ?
If you have the old one, take it apart. If you see a resistor underneath then it won't work because the aftermarket one likely doesn't. I've seen it on the old 636. That resistor drops the voltage down to 9 or 10 volts, which let's the computer know that someone isn't trying to bypass the ignition by hot wiring it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you have the old one, take it apart. If you see a resistor underneath then it won't work because the aftermarket one likely doesn't. I've seen it on the old 636. That resistor drops the voltage down to 9 or 10 volts, which let's the computer know that someone isn't trying to bypass the ignition by hot wiring it.

The ninja 300 definitely has a resistor in the ignition

1 - 20 of 57 Posts