Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stored my Kawasaki ninja 252 too long. It won’t idle without the choke. When I shut the choke off it dies. I called a motorcycle repair shop they said carburetor needs to be rebuilt. Is this accurate? I would think that they would just clean the carburetor? I’m in Long Beach and in need of a reliable and honest motorcycle mechanic

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sometimes when someone says "rebuild" they often mean mostly a clean out, but usually replace the consumable components. I bet you could perform a carb cleaning job yourself with a few basic tools and chemicals. Otherwise I would check your air filter to see if its clogged, and look inside the gas tank and see if anything at least looks off.

If it won't idle with the choke off, I assume you've tried riding it around a bit with the choke on already? Does it ride normally once you've ridden around a bit, or is it bogging and making poor power?

The more details you share the more we can help you!

-Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes when someone says "rebuild" they often mean mostly a clean out, but usually replace the consumable components. I bet you could perform a carb cleaning job yourself with a few basic tools and chemicals. Otherwise I would check your air filter to see if its clogged, and look inside the gas tank and see if anything at least looks off.

If it won't idle with the choke off, I assume you've tried riding it around a bit with the choke on already? Does it ride normally once you've ridden around a bit, or is it bogging and making poor power?

The more details you share the more we can help you!

-Mike
Thank you!! I haven’t tried riding with the choke on. I suppose I could try, but wasn’t up for the challenge. Do I need to remove and replace the old gas?

·
Registered
385 Posts
not idling without choke is a classic symptom of a dirty carb. The jets in a carb have tiny passages that can easily clog, especially after sitting for long periods with old gas. Yes, get rid of the old gas and start with fresh...and your carbs will need a cleaning. You may not have to replace any parts. Search motorcycle carb cleaning on youtube and you will have endless hours of viewing pleasure. It's not a difficult job and it's something you should be able to do yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
not idling without choke is a classic symptom of a dirty carb. The jets in a carb have tiny passages that can easily clog, especially after sitting for long periods with old gas. Yes, get rid of the old gas and start with fresh...and your carbs will need a cleaning. You may not have to replace any parts. Search motorcycle carb cleaning on youtube and you will have endless hours of viewing pleasure. It's not a difficult job and it's something you should be able to do yourself.
Thank you for the vote of confidence. I will keep you posted on the outcome

1 - 5 of 5 Posts