Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
I would say you either need a valve adjustment or the timing chain tensioner is not working properly.

How many miles?

Didn't get the "barely moving" part.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think he means that when he tries to get the bike moving in first gear, it loses power and the engine shuts off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say you either need a valve adjustment or the timing chain tensioner is not working properly.

How many miles?

Didn't get the "barely moving" part.
It had low power. But then yes,of I try to get it going it shut stalls and shuts off at this point .I got the bike at like 9 thousand miles .now has like 13 and some change. I've never done any work on the Motor and have no idea of prior maintenance

·
Registered
489 Posts
It's also possible the sound is from the clutch.

See if you can isolate the area where the sound is coming from. The clutch should be pretty obvious vs valvetrain. I think I do recall another thread with a similar problem that was clutch-related. Would make sense if it doesn't move.

I would also check the valves at some point.

EDIT: Oil level is good, and hasn't been run low?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's also possible the sound is from the clutch.

See if you can isolate the area where the sound is coming from. The clutch should be pretty obvious vs valvetrain. I think I do recall another thread with a similar problem that was clutch-related. Would make sense if it doesn't move.

I would also check the valves at some point.

EDIT: Oil level is good, and hasn't been run low?
Well .after all that happened I checked the oil level thru the indicated spot seemed bone dry.so I drained it and maybe 3 4th of a quart came out .did a puke change and bike did it all over again .before the oil change it moved. After it moved. Then just stopped. So if I let off clutch it dies I've tried to isolate the sound using a long screwdriver method and honestly can't. It might seem like it's coming from the top end but it could just be tricking me

·
Registered
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
50 Posts
Personally I think the motor is toast, that low on oil, for that long isn't good for it.

The two common causes for engine failure on these small parallel twins is, low oil, and low coolant ie overheating. Due to the fact the engine does not require a lot of any one of those

Reactions: jkv45 and Rogue

·
Registered
489 Posts
Well .after all that happened I checked the oil level thru the indicated spot seemed bone dry.so I drained it and maybe 3 4th of a quart came out .did a puke change and bike did it all over again .before the oil change it moved. After it moved. Then just stopped. So if I let off clutch it dies I've tried to isolate the sound using a long screwdriver method and honestly can't. It might seem like it's coming from the top end but it could just be tricking me
What did the oil look like?

Did you see any metallic pieces or bronze-colored flakes?

Doesn't sound too good at this point, unfortunately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts