Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happen to me 3 separate times, Im accelerating hard and in 4th gear arongd 10-11k rpm it feels like it slips out of gear for a split second I think it happened in 5th too.

What could this be??

·
Registered
523 Posts
Don't cover the clutch lever. This has happened to quite a few people (myself included) and that seems to be the issue; even the slightest pressure on the clutch lever causes it to engage as it's set from the factory.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've had the same thing happen in 4th and 5th gear, and I don't cover the clutch.

The throughline appears to be when I'm accelerating hard and scooping midlevel RPMs in either of those two gears. I've compensated for this issue by smoothing out my merge habit and avoiding situations (where possible) wherein I've had to accelerate hard away from something in 4th or 5th gear.

Just one of the joys of early adoption. :) I figure it could be a hell of a lot worse.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Check your clutch lever adjustment. I had a similar issue, where it felt like the clutch was slipping when getting into the throttle a bit. It's a pretty easy thing to do, just loosen up the large knurled nut on next to the clutch lever, then turn the smaller knurled nut (the cable protector end piece) to loosen or tighten the cable. My clutch lever now has ~1/4" of "slop" before it starts to move the clutch cable, and I have had no slippage issues since.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've also noticed this in 4th and 5th gear.. happens a few times on every ride. So far it's not serious but it is a bit annoying. I'm going to check the clutch adjustment as suggested, I hope that's all it is..

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Yep mine was same, a very short space between engagement and none engagement of clutch and was leading to slippage if you even breathed in the direction of the clutch lever. Adjusted clutch cable to allow more slack, never had a slippage since.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Forget the clutch. Only use it from a stop and to stop. Clutch less shifting is way smoother.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
185 Posts
I used to have that problem...

drop the gear level towards the ground by about 10 millimeters

might not be getting enough leverage off your foot to get it in to gear in the first place
+1, I did that and it worked for me.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I used to have that problem...

+1, I did that and it worked for me.

funny about that, my bike did the same too for the first 10 kilometers till i cracked the shits & pulled over & adjusted the lever;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Don't cover the clutch lever. This has happened to quite a few people (myself included) and that seems to be the issue; even the slightest pressure on the clutch lever causes it to engage as it's set from the factory.
I am going to ask my dealer to leave more space at the end of the lever, I really hate the way this clutch engages at the end.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I am going to ask my dealer to leave more space at the end of the lever, I really hate the way this clutch engages at the end.
I dont think thats possible without extending the cable...........not 100% on that though, it may be able to be done.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
drop the gear level towards the ground by about 10 millimeters

might not be getting enough leverage off your foot to get it in to gear in the first place
I hit Nuetrual every once in a while so this may be my problem, Im also going to loosen the clutch cable a little.

Funny, every one saying it has happened to them doesn't make me feel better!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I hit Nuetrual every once in a while so this may be my problem, Im also going to loosen the clutch cable a little.

Funny, every one saying it has happened to them doesn't make me feel better!
You're just not kicking it into second hard enough. It's not the clutch.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
It is possibly/probably the clutch. I've had the same experience, feels like the clutch is being fanned in 4th gear under WFO riding higher in the RPMs. It gets your attention for sure.

Try the tips you got, like adjusting your shift lever if you are missing shifts. If your clutch is just slipping on/off in the above mentioned description, I don't know how to fix it. I've had it happen up to 5-6 times over the life of my bike. I'm guessing the anti-torque feature of the slipper gets confused at that speed under heavy load.

I don't get it more often because I'm rarely under those conditions, heavy throttle at near 85 MPH, but it happens probably 1/3 of the times I have been.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts