Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the bike makes a faint noise just sitting in the garage. Sounds like coming from under gas tank. It's been off for hours so I know it's not cooling down noise. It's making me wonder if it's possessed

·
Registered
293 Posts
it is kind of a sinister hissing noise!...normal and I believe they all do it? More informed opinions to come..

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Gas tank is pressurized. Open the cap, get a little sucking sound and no more noise. This is not a big deal, unless it gets bad enough that the fuel pump can't overcome the negative pressure. Then you better find out what's plugging the vent.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's a little animal, it lives in there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its normal. Mines 2015 pearl stardust, brand new, does same thing. Sounds like a cow mooing. Mooouuhhhh lol. I cant explain technically why it happens though

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
283 Posts
The driven halo fuel cap and base fixed that problem for me, but like @Zaph said, just pop it open and it'll stop.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Completely normal, especially during hot weather. It's just the pressure getting released by the gas tank. If it's really annoying, open the gas cap to quickly release it.

·
Registered
914 Posts
It's the gremlins! Why do you think you're supposed to use a guardian bell?? :surprise:

Jokes aside, I always chuckle whenever I hear my Ninja wheezing after a ride. It sure is an odd sound, and caught me off guard the first few times I heard it. Interesting to hear it's worse in hot weather. Makes sense since it happens to me every single time I ride.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This happended to me this weekend. Had my ninja out in the sun put in garage and it was making a noise in tank. I though it had some kind of electrical sucking my battery juice.Haha

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The heat causes the fuel to vaporize and expand a bit increasing fuel tank pressure which in turn causes a funny wheezing sound as it farts past the seal. You also get this if you've been riding for a while and the heat was able to soak through the air box and into the bottom of the fuel tank on cooler days. The reason why it sounds like it coming from beneath the fuel tank is that is where the that charcoal cannister is at. The vapor is supposed to vent down there and the charcoal is supposed to absorb the fuel vapor. On cold days with a very warm engine and a long ride where the fuel tank is very warm, when the bike is cooling down you can sometimes hear a gasping, sucking sound from the fuel cap. As the fuel vapor condenses back down to a liquid and the fuel cools down, it creates a vacuum and the fuel vent hole for sucking air in to equalize pressure can get a little blocked with some grime. Fun times.

·
Registered
914 Posts
The vapor is supposed to vent down there and the charcoal is supposed to absorb the fuel vapor. On cold days with a very warm engine and a long ride where the fuel tank is very warm, when the bike is cooling down you can sometimes hear a gasping, sucking sound from the fuel cap. As the fuel vapor condenses back down to a liquid and the fuel cools down, it creates a vacuum and the fuel vent hole for sucking air in to equalize pressure can get a little blocked with some grime. Fun times.
Sounds like a good analogy for how my stomach feels after a trip to Taco Bell... :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
So the bike makes a faint noise just sitting in the garage. Sounds like coming from under gas tank. It's been off for hours so I know it's not cooling down noise. It's making me wonder if it's possessed
I noticed it last night a faint beeping now and some chirping sounds from dash or under tank. It was so cool my car has never talked to me like that yeye

1 - 14 of 14 Posts