Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to get a bike lock because I dont live in the best city. Problem is I dont know which kind is most effective because I have seen quite a few different kinds. any info would be great!

·
Registered
295 Posts
At minimum you'll want a disc lock with an alarm. I use the Xena XX14 it fits perfectly. Ideally you'll put the disc lock on your rear disc and if anyone touches the bike it will go off.

You'll also want a chain/lock of decent quality/size. I use the Kryptonite new york fahgettaboudit chain 1415. If you register within 2 weeks you can enroll in their anti theft program that will give you $1,300 if your bike gets stolen assuming you locked it up with their chain.

Tie the chain around a part of the bike that can not be removed such as the frame and then secure it to something that can not be moved such as a light post, or a phone poll, they also make ground anchors you can put into some cement and secure it to that. Make sure that the chain does not touch the ground or thieves can use the ground as leverage to cut through the chain.

Also a non branded bike cover can help detur thieves as they can not see what kind of security measures in place without first setting off an alarm.

After that just make sure you've got comprehensive insurance in case the bike does get stolen because it is still possible.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It annoys me how difficult it is to find a 2.5M chain with at least 15mm thick links in North America. I could throw money at a retailer, but they'd just give it back, because it simply doesn't exist.

Meanwhile, over in the UK, there are several options to choose from, all the way up to 17mm @ 2.5M :(

·
Registered
295 Posts
It annoys me how difficult it is to find a 2.5M chain with at least 15mm thick links in North America. I could throw money at a retailer, but they'd just give it back, because it simply doesn't exist.

Meanwhile, over in the UK, there are several options to choose from, all the way up to 17mm @ 2.5M :(

I've noticed that security for motorcycles seems to be a bigger thing in the UK than it is in the US. They've got all sorts of theft solutions from the 18mm thick chains to things like SmartWater (DNA thing that allows police to back track who a part on a bike belongs to which provides a chain of evidence for stolen parts).

I think it really boils down to the fact that the majorty of riders here in the US don't use a motorcycle as their primary means of travel so if they walk outside and their motorcycle is gone they can just hop in their car.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Full coverage insurance is also nice. Even with bike locks and everything if the bike isnt tied down 2 guys can pick up the bike and throw it in the back of a van faster then you can order a #1 from McDonalds.

forward to 3:10

Reactions: Eng223
1 - 9 of 9 Posts