Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading through various threads on here about one's bike suddenly losing power while on the road. My bike is now doing the same thing.
I'm slowly trying to track down the problem on my own - without the help of a dealership or other mechanic.
I apologize; I love the knowledge, experience, and satisfaction that comes with learning how to do things on my own.
Funny, it hasn't lost power in 2 days now, but when it does die, my clock also resets back to 1:00.
It has died about 4 or 5 times now, all within about a week's span.
I can't recreate the problem by jumping up & down on the bike, or otherwise move it in such a way as to make the seemingly electrical short happen again. It happens when I am slowing down and coming to a stop at a random red light or Stop sign, or it has been sitting idle for over a minute. It is always random and brief - it cannot be predicted or recreated easily.
I also can't just restart the bike using only the electric starter button; I have to turn the key off and then back on again. But it starts back up every time, with no other side issues.
If anyone has any comments, I am open to suggestion. In the meantime, I will keep you posted on what happens.

Sincerely,
Skydiver with a Ninja

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've been reading through various threads on here about one's bike suddenly losing power while on the road. My bike is now doing the same thing.
I'm slowly trying to track down the problem on my own - without the help of a dealership or other mechanic.
I apologize; I love the knowledge, experience, and satisfaction that comes with learning how to do things on my own.
Funny, it hasn't lost power in 2 days now, but when it does die, my clock also resets back to 1:00.
It has died about 4 or 5 times now, all within about a week's span.
I can't recreate the problem by jumping up & down on the bike, or otherwise move it in such a way as to make the seemingly electrical short happen again. It happens when I am slowing down and coming to a stop at a random red light or Stop sign, or it has been sitting idle for over a minute. It is always random and brief - it cannot be predicted or recreated easily.
I also can't just restart the bike using only the electric starter button; I have to turn the key off and then back on again. But it starts back up every time, with no other side issues.
If anyone has any comments, I am open to suggestion. In the meantime, I will keep you posted on what happens.

Sincerely,
Skydiver with a Ninja
I would start by checking your battery voltage and all connections. It does sound like it's losing voltage completely if the clock resets, which does suggest an electrical connection or voltage issue.

How old is the battery? Batteries can go bad internally, and not give any signs of a problem unless jarred. Even if you get over 12.7V before starting, I would also check it during cranking to see if it drops way off. Anything under 10V is too low.

Check that the ground cable is snug at the battery and also where it connects to the frame.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Agree with the above, and if you find something up with the voltage, maybe check the stator and charging equipment. I'm no expert with that stuff, but obvious burnt wires and visual damage would reveal something.

-Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts