Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my ninja 300 to the hospital to visit my friend and while I was parking... it just died on me. I was in neutral and was backing it up into a parking spot and it just died. The headlights stayed on but my engine cut out and nothing on my display was lit up.

I thought it might be my battery because it died on me before but it didn't make sense that it would happen in the middle of parking before I turned off my engine.

I also tried to jump my bike with my car and jumper cables but nothing changed. I read something about an ECU (Engine control unit) that might be faulty but... it just happened out of nowhere.

So my headlights work and so do my turn signals... my speedometer and all those displays do not work... the ignition will not turn on at all... doesn't even cough up to start... it's as if the kill switch was just set so the bike doesn't start.

I feel like I'm going to have to take it to the shop... but I just wanted to see if it might something that isn't too complicated for me to do on my own.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I'm guessing you have a 2014 Ninja? ECU issue should be resolved for that model year. The 2013 Ninjas had an ECU recall.

From what you describe, your battery is getting power to your lights and signals, but the dash display should come on when you set the key to the 'ON' position. So, that is odd. It doesn't turn-over. Hmm.

One possibility is a low-charge condition with the battery, and that can be pretty easily resolved with some time on a Battery Tender or some other trickle-charger. The tender will tell you if it's in a low-condition or not—usually with a simple status light. Charge the battery, hook it back up and see what happens. Easy and cheap bit of testing.

Also sounds like the kickstand could have been down or triggering the engine-cutoff somehow, which would explain the lights working but the engine not starting. This is also a possibility if you put the stand down even part way as you were backing in to the space, ready to park. Wouldn't explain the dash not coming on when the key is ON though. There could also be an electrical fault which triggers the kickstand shut-off in some way (or a mechanical interference).

I'm no mechanic or expert here, but these are the things I would check first....the simple stuff. Checking the simple stuff is easy and often, these types of problems are the simple things. If you exhaust the obvious then it could be time for a mechanic.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If your lights look dim and your clock resets when you hit the ignition it's definitely a battery. Usually a weak battery will cause the ignition to make a buzz noise from under the seat too. I would probably just get a new battery. Unless you just ran the battery dead for some reason then charge it and it'll be ok. Don't want to take a chance of having a dead battery cause it's not as easy as jump starting a car. The battery should be at 12.8 while the engine is off. These batteries are so small if they're not fully charged your lights will work it just won't start.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Check the electrical connectors pull them apart make sure there are no burned pins and contacts are clean. Reseat all the connectors. Check your fuses under the seat.

Reactions: jin4da1abv

·
Registered
996 Posts
I hope you didn't have the car's engine running while it was connected to the bike's battery, otherwise you might've seriously damaged the electronics and it wouldn't be covered under warranty!

Reactions: jin4da1abv

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Check both connections on the battery. If you can, use a voltmeter to check the battery.

I hope you didn't have the car's engine running while it was connected to the bike's battery, otherwise you might've seriously damaged the electronics and it wouldn't be covered under warranty!
...que?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fixed it!

Thanks guys... all good advice!

I finally fixed it... it was a bad fuse and there was a spare in the fuse box which I just simply swapped out and now it's running again like it was before.

Here's a pic of the fuse... as you can see... no bueno

My poor bike had to sit out in the rain for a night at the hospital when it died. But it's back in my hands and running thanks to you guys!

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts