Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took my 2013 ninja 300 out for a ride today I encountered an issue. I drove it normally for a couple of minutes so it could warm up, everything felt fine though the bike was a bit hesitant to rev in neutral. After a while I started revving it higher, to around 8000 rpm (in gear). Everything was still fine, felt no power loss. Maybe a mile later I stopped and tried to rev it in neutral again and it felt even more hesitant. So I turned the engine off and started it up again. It started idling way too low at around 1000 rpm and stalled every time I gave it some gas and pulled out the clutch. Eventually, after stalling a lot, I managed to get it moving, but it didn’t have the power to go past around 4000 rpm. So I pulled over and turned the engine off. The catalytic converter was glowing red hot and I heard a lot of ticking from the engine (my friend told me this was ok as it is just the sound of the metal in the engine expanding). None of the warning lights on the instrument panel lit up. I think this was a very gradual change from full power to almost none as I never heard a loud clunk followed by a sudden power loss (there might have been a clunk, but at least I didn’t hear is as I was moving and had a helmet on). I have not driven the bike since the incident.

Has anybody had the same issue, or know what it could be and how to fix it? All answers are appreciated.

·
Registered
316 Posts
First, check your oil level. Make sure the oil is up to the proper level before running the engine again.

How about other maintenance? Check the condition of the air filter.

From what you described, it could be something as simple as old gas or gas with an excessive amount of water. Draining the tank and refilling with fresh gas (87 no ethanol if available) is an easy first step.

Low battery voltage can also cause similar symptoms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the answer! I know the oil is fine, but I have not checked the air filter yet. What you are saying about the gas could be the problem. I bought the bike a couple of weeks ago from a person that had not ridden the bike for a long time. The gas was several months old. I did ride around 50 miles with that gas before refilling. The incident happened the first ride after I refilled it with new gas. I will make sure to check the battery voltage too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thank you so much for the answer! I know the oil is fine, but I have not checked the air filter yet. What you are saying about the gas could be the problem. I bought the bike a couple of weeks ago from a person that had not ridden the bike for a long time. The gas was several months old. I did ride around 50 miles with that gas before refilling. The incident happened the first ride after I refilled it with new gas. I will make sure to check the battery voltage too.
That gas is old enough to be a problem - especially if it contains ethanol.

You may need to drain the tank completely to remove any water collecting at the bottom, but I would also add a strong fuel system cleaner like Techron Concentrate to the fuel. It's going to clean any deposits from the injectors, valves, and combustion chamber.

I run it (1 oz per gal) in all my vehicles once per year. It works.

The battery may be OK, but check that you have over 12.7V before turning on the ignition after sitting at least overnight.

It's always good to check over all the maintenance items on a used bike. I change the oil and filter even if it looks good, unless they have convinced me they have done it recently and used the correct oil.

This technical info is on the Ninja 250, but almost all applies to the 300 - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upon further investigation it looks like it is only running on one cylinder. On startup it is fine and running on both cylinders, but after a little while the idle rpm drops significantly and you can hear it being run on only one cylinder. Is it likely that the fuel is causing this?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Upon further investigation it looks like it is only running on one cylinder. On startup it is fine and running on both cylinders, but after a little while the idle rpm drops significantly and you can hear it being run on only one cylinder. Is it likely that the fuel is causing this?
It could be possible.

I'd drain the tank, refill with fresh 87, add Techron, check the air filter, and check the battery voltage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
For what it's worth, I had an 83 Camero that clogged up the catalytic converter. The shop said that it was running rich, and that was the cause. If it's only running on one cylinder, maybe excess fuel from the non-running cylinder clogged up the cat. If that's the case, there may be very little exhaust getting through the cat and stifling the engine.

Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It could be possible.

I'd drain the tank, refill with fresh 87, add Techron, check the air filter, and check the battery voltage.
Thank you for the answer! I will try to do that.

For what it's worth, I had an 83 Camero that clogged up the catalytic converter. The shop said that it was running rich, and that was the cause. If it's only running on one cylinder, maybe excess fuel from the non-running cylinder clogged up the cat. If that's the case, there may be very little exhaust getting through the cat and stifling the engine.

Michael
That sounds likely. Did you have to change the cat after sorting the misfire problem, or could you drive on with it? Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is the glowing cat. Can't say I've heard of that happening before, and it's a bit disconcerting.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is the glowing cat. Can't say I've heard of that happening before, and it's a bit disconcerting.
I have heard of (but not experienced or witnessed myself) glowing hot cats if they got extremely clogged. From what I've heard, the only fix is to replace. All hearsay and anecdotal, but dumping gas into a hot cat (like if one cylinder doesn't fire but the injector still squirts) is said to plug up a cat and destroy it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts