Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend and I were leaving the university when it starts to downpour. And when I say downpour I mean you couldn't see two feet infront of you. So we decided to wait until it cleared up. It did but there was still a light drizzle and we said screw it, its not gonna get any better. We both live on the same road and decided to follow eachother home. Cars were flying past us with no regard of how hard it is to ride in the rain, most likely dumbass college kids. Anyway we got to the road we live on, but its not a neighborhood road its a main road. He is riding about twenty to thirty feet in front of me and all of the sudden the lower half of his bike just disappears and there are waves of water coming out either side. Seriously this puddle was invisible, it looked exactly like the surface of the road surrounding it, and there was no indication of it until he hit it since there were no cars in front of us to create a wake for us to see. This puddle was at least a foot deep. He tried to hold on but to no avail. He went down on his right side and he and the bike almost disappeared in the puddle. Since I was riding with enough space in between us i was able to stop before the puddle. I pulled off to the side of the road and starting waving my arms for other cars to stop since you could barely see him nor the bike in this puddle. Another good samaritan in a big ol' Ford F350 stopped in the lane my friend went down in and put his hazzards on to block people. I ran over to my friend and helped him pick up his bike and roll it off to the side. Luckily he was fine but his CBR1000 was not. It wouldnt start back up and I had to call AAA to get it towed. I felt so bad for him, he bought it no more than a month ago. After all was said and done and the tow truck driver gave him a lift home I realized that was on the other side of the puddle. I had to backtrack and take the long way home, about a 5 mile detour. Not too long at all but the rain was picking back up. I just wanted to get home so i continued riding. Luckily I made it the rest of the way safe. But, today was definitely not a good day, especially for my friend and his CBR1000. I guess what Im getting at is that no matter how cautious you are and no matter how good your skill level is, there is always something unforeseen that can happen. I always knew this but had never really experienced it or seen it happen in person until today. Scary stuff.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It takes a special individual to ride a bike. I generally avoid rain as much as possible, but I appreciate your post and will think of this event when I am in a similar situation, which I hope to avoid if at all possible. Nice of the F350 driver to stop and help.

regards
Mech

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It takes a special individual to ride a bike. I generally avoid rain as much as possible, but I appreciate your post and will think of this event when I am in a similar situation, which I hope to avoid if at all possible. Nice of the F350 driver to stop and help.

regards
Mech
Yeah that F350 driver was awesome, not too many people would have done that. I didn't intend on riding in the rain and always avoid it if I can. I only had class for an hour and looked at weather channel since it was a tad cloudy but they said "dry conditions will continue" ha, yeah right. I'm never gonna trust weather channel lol. But then again in their defense Florida rain is very unpredictable.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
When I lived in AZ we'd get a heavy monsoon rain shower almost every summer afternoon. One second it's 120F and 90% humidity and the next second it's pissing buckets and every wash is a raging river. Having ridden many times in torrential downpours, at night your best friend believe it or not is the wind. If it's windy, the winds will cause ripples which get amplified and easier to see when your headlights hit it letting you know you got a good quantity of water in front of you. If it ripples, go another way. Good to hear you two came out ok. Hopefully your friend's bike is fine once it gets all the water cleaned out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts