Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have2014 ninja 300 and turns over but won't start. Factory manual does not discuss the small grey wire going to ECU from ign switch. This wire is attached to a100 ohm 1/4 watt 2 percent resister built into the ign switch to prevent theft by hotwire. I installed a 20 $ after market switch which didn't have this inside. This resister drops voltage to 9 or 10 volts during operation. The switch I bought was good quality except for this oversight. The connecter was not terminaled properly either. When switch is on, all 5 wires on main harness are connected together with exception of small grey wire going to the ECU. This wire must have the 100 ohm resister in line or fuel pump won't work be it in the switch or soldered inline outside. Without, the engine will turn over but won't start, engine light blinks but no codes showing. I'm sharing this info because I m building a trike using a ninja 300 to drive it. Similar to scaled down canam. Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have2014 ninja 300 and turns over but won't start. Factory manual does not discuss the small grey wire going to ECU from ign switch. This wire is attached to a100 ohm 1/4 watt 2 percent resister built into the ign switch to prevent theft by hotwire. I installed a 20 $ after market switch which didn't have this inside. This resister drops voltage to 9 or 10 volts during operation. The switch I bought was good quality except for this oversight. The connecter was not terminaled properly either. When switch is on, all 5 wires on main harness are connected together with exception of small grey wire going to the ECU. This wire must have the 100 ohm resister in line or fuel pump won't work be it in the switch or soldered inline outside. Without, the engine will turn over but won't start, engine light blinks but no codes showing. I'm sharing this info because I m building a trike using a ninja 300 to drive it. Similar to scaled down canam. Hope this helps

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to clarify, I'm not saying that all aftermarket ignition switches are bad, the one I bought a couple of weeks ago was not a direct fit to ninja 300 . Switch had 7 wires, ninja uses 5, wires were not color coded as per factory manual for switch. After disassembling switch it appeared to be good quality construction but no diode inside, Kawasaki switch is 150 $ plus , since a 100 ohm resister is about fifty cents, I opted to keep switch and install resister in one of the wires outside of the switch. But beware that if somebody tries to hotwire and sees resister and knows what he is doing he could be successful. I don't know much about electronics, a mechanic told me to use this 100 ohm 1/4 watt 2percent resister and bike works fine, others may be suitable, by the way, bike runs fine without digital speedo hooked up , was concerned about damaging the ECU. Hope this helps
I

1 - 3 of 3 Posts