Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first "official" close call with a car today in a, wawa parking lot long story short people in minivans don't look before backing out... All is well; swerved out of the way without a conscious thought like a boss but still

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I've had a bunch of close calls and I've only been riding for 2 1/2 months. People around here drive like fking idiots and disrespectful as hell. 95% of these "close calls" would not have mattered if I was in my SUV as even when I am in that people do stupid things and almost hit me by running red lights and crap.

Luckily I pay attention and have avoided all but 2 accidents in my life, both from people running red lights.

Only time that a close call happened BECAUSE I was on my bike was some lady saw me and decided to cut me off from my riding buddy ahead of me on purpose. Wouldn't acknowledge me even as I was next to her honking my horn and waving at her and did the snob thing of raising her chin and slightly turning her head away.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Getting nearly side swiped a lot on my cruiser has led to many a kicked in doors our punched off mirrors in my first year while in AZ. Also helped that I opened carried while riding, so the though of vehicular homicide for revenge generally never came to play on their part.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Getting nearly side swiped a lot on my cruiser has led to many a kicked in doors our punched off mirrors in my first year while in AZ. Also helped that I opened carried while riding, so the though of vehicular homicide for revenge generally never came to play on their part.
I hope you're not kicking in doors and punching off mirrors for people just being oblivious or making a bad mistake. Now if these people were driving like idiots (swerving through traffic, racing, intentionally trying to hit you, etc) then i support that.

If some biker was in my blind spot and I didn't see him when I did my head check and almost hit him, then he kicks my door or knocked off my mirror, you bet I'd be up his ass reporting him to the police and mmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyybbbbbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeee running him the hell over.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I seem to have more of an issue with people running stop signs at my work yesterday was number 8 in 3 months that someone ran the stop sign as I was already going thru and hard breaking to stop from hitting me

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I seem to have more of an issue with people running stop signs at my work yesterday was number 8 in 3 months that someone ran the stop sign as I was already going thru and hard breaking to stop from hitting me

Report them. I've had an employee get fired because they were speeding through the parking lot and a bunch of people complained.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I agree with parking lots being ridiculous. I'm so tired of people backing out in front of me. I think I'm going to install a hidden paintball gun and start lighting them up. Lol

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I hope you're not kicking in doors and punching off mirrors for people just being oblivious or making a bad mistake. Now if these people were driving like idiots (swerving through traffic, racing, intentionally trying to hit you, etc) then i support that.

If some biker was in my blind spot and I didn't see him when I did my head check and almost hit him, then he kicks my door or knocked off my mirror, you bet I'd be up his ass reporting him to the police and mmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyybbbbbbbbbbeeeeeeeeeee running him the hell over.
This was interstate 10 with just me in the right lane. They came up from behind me in the left lane, overtook me to get right beside me, then proceeded to try and run me off the road. Only the two of us out in the middle of nowhere. While they may not be intentionally trying to do it, but I don't care if it's intentional or not. You wouldn't be too happy if I flew over your house when I was a gunner and "Accidentally" let loose with my .50cal into your house would you? Inattentiveness and gross negligence are never an excuse to commit murder while wielding a deadly weapon. As I also said, when I rode in Arizona I was armed, and openly so. If they don't like me having to hit their vehicle to get them to wake up or put down that damn cell phone and now wanna play bumper cars with intent on my life, I WILL use lethal force to defend myself.

Your last statement is what is pandemic with American society today. People no longer see cars as a potentially deadly device and don't think of it like the 2 tonne death machine it really is. Attempting to side swipe anyone with a vehicle is AT LEAST assault with a deadly weapon and can even get you murder 2 if the guy dies or attempted murder 2 if the guy lives. In either case, use a firearm in that kind of situation would be more than justifiable.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
This was interstate 10 with just me in the right lane. They came up from behind me in the left lane, overtook me to get right beside me, then proceeded to try and run me off the road. Only the two of us out in the middle of nowhere. While they may not be intentionally trying to do it, but I don't care if it's intentional or not. You wouldn't be too happy if I flew over your house when I was a gunner and "Accidentally" let loose with my .50cal into your house would you? Inattentiveness and gross negligence are never an excuse to commit murder while wielding a deadly weapon. As I also said, when I rode in Arizona I was armed, and openly so. If they don't like me having to hit their vehicle to get them to wake up or put down that damn cell phone and now wanna play bumper cars with intent on my life, I WILL use lethal force to defend myself.

Your last statement is what is pandemic with American society today. People no longer see cars as a potentially deadly device and don't think of it like the 2 tonne death machine it really is. Attempting to side swipe anyone with a vehicle is AT LEAST assault with a deadly weapon and can even get you murder 2 if the guy dies or attempted murder 2 if the guy lives. In either case, use a firearm in that kind of situation would be more than justifiable.
Overly serious much?

I would never run anyone over, hence the sarcastic "mmmmmmmaaaaaaayyyyyyyyybbbbbbbeeeee." I've only EVER acted in self defense. I know my vehicle is a weapon and I have stated it many times before.

And my first paragraph blatantly states that I support your reaction to that scenario as they were being complete idiots.

To lighten the mood...

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Overly serious much?

I would never run anyone over, hence the sarcastic "mmmmmmmaaaaaaayyyyyyyyybbbbbbbeeeee." I've only EVER acted in self defense. I know my vehicle is a weapon and I have stated it many times before.

And my first paragraph blatantly states that I support your reaction to that scenario as they were being complete idiots.

To lighten the mood...
Sorry about that. Didn't mean to personally direct that at you, just that last statement in general. Even made in jest, I've seen people say and do that last statement to a real level. The level of road rage and the willingness people now are more than willing to use their car/truck as a vehicle (lol I couldn't help that one,) for their anger and revenge is getting ridiculous. Was riding with a class mate in technical school in Texas and watched as he didn't even slow down for a jay walker stating

"In Texas it's legal to run a jay walker over since pedestrians aren't protected outside of cross walks."

I immediately flipped out and told him that running someone over with intent to harm and kill even if they aren't "protected" is still murder 2 and I wont hang for that one.

I don't know if people have generally become desensitized to killing someone else due to not having a huge war (we haven't had a real huge numbers war since really WWII.) There isn't any sense that life is precious anymore. Those in my grandfather's generation who were around in WWII and those in my father's generation who had gone through Vietnam in general have a much greater appreciation for life and the little things that can take it away. Being that in our current generation and only 2% of the population will ever even be in the military or even see combat, there isn't that contrast for people to generally reflect on and apply to themselves and others.

After seeing your last line, though you totally meant it in jest, kinda set me off. Like I said, sorry if you took it personally. I didn't mean it to be. It's just become something that's becoming more and more common for people, men and women, to be considering seriously as a course of action. With all the new safety equipment and the general increase in average vehicle size (more people in SUVs and minivans,) people are generally feeling invulnerable and are now seeing how they can expand the use of their vehicles into weapons.

Sorry about the long disposition, hope there are no hard feelings. :D

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Sorry about that. Didn't mean to personally direct that at you, just that last statement in general. Even made in jest, I've seen people say and do that last statement to a real level. The level of road rage and the willingness people now are more than willing to use their car/truck as a vehicle (lol I couldn't help that one,) for their anger and revenge is getting ridiculous. Was riding with a class mate in technical school in Texas and watched as he didn't even slow down for a jay walker stating

"In Texas it's legal to run a jay walker over since pedestrians aren't protected outside of cross walks."

I immediately flipped out and told him that running someone over with intent to harm and kill even if they aren't "protected" is still murder 2 and I wont hang for that one.

I don't know if people have generally become desensitized to killing someone else due to not having a huge war (we haven't had a real huge numbers war since really WWII.) There isn't any sense that life is precious anymore. Those in my grandfather's generation who were around in WWII and those in my father's generation who had gone through Vietnam in general have a much greater appreciation for life and the little things that can take it away. Being that in our current generation and only 2% of the population will ever even be in the military or even see combat, there isn't that contrast for people to generally reflect on and apply to themselves and others.

After seeing your last line, though you totally meant it in jest, kinda set me off. Like I said, sorry if you took it personally. I didn't mean it to be. It's just become something that's becoming more and more common for people, men and women, to be considering seriously as a course of action. With all the new safety equipment and the general increase in average vehicle size (more people in SUVs and minivans,) people are generally feeling invulnerable and are now seeing how they can expand the use of their vehicles into weapons.

Sorry about the long disposition, hope there are no hard feelings. :D
Nerp. None here man. It's the internet. Things are never taken the way they are meant, lol.

I served in the Army as Airborne Infantry. I'm not so sure it's a recent case of people being more accustomed to violence, or just true human nature to be violent. We are really the most violent creatures alive! I've seen more hatred and violence at home than over seas. Here, people kill each other over an argument over food being left out (I read a news article about it on yahoo a long time ago). Over there, you kill because you're trying to stay alive and fight for what you believe in.

I mean think about it, what's funnier? A joke about religion or someone doing something stupid and getting hurt as the result? Violence is just what we are. I think as we get older we just see it more and more and think the world is changing when it's actually been there all along.

When we were kids, we didn't see motorcycles as dangerous. We saw them as super kickass machines. Now we've grown up and we know the dangers of the road and the stupidity / anger of everyday drivers.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Parking garages are my bane more than parking lots; people simply don't obey the various yield signs and basically intentionally try to murder me every day, regardless if I'm on foot, in my car, or on my bike. Luckily I've found a motorcycle spot that is out of the way of most traffic and doesn't seem to be used by anyone else.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Nerp. None here man. It's the internet. Things are never taken the way they are meant, lol.

I served in the Army as Airborne Infantry. I'm not so sure it's a recent case of people being more accustomed to violence, or just true human nature to be violent. We are really the most violent creatures alive! I've seen more hatred and violence at home than over seas. Here, people kill each other over an argument over food being left out (I read a news article about it on yahoo a long time ago). Over there, you kill because you're trying to stay alive and fight for what you believe in.

I mean think about it, what's funnier? A joke about religion or someone doing something stupid and getting hurt as the result? Violence is just what we are. I think as we get older we just see it more and more and think the world is changing when it's actually been there all along.

When we were kids, we didn't see motorcycles as dangerous. We saw them as super kickass machines. Now we've grown up and we know the dangers of the road and the stupidity / anger of everyday drivers.
Yeah I hear you there. Things were much nicer when they were trying to kill you based on ideology or just mere differences. Living in Japan, really opens your eyes to just how violence prone we are here in the states and in Europe in general. Sure there's still plenty of violent crime in Japan, just a hell of a lot lower than most other areas. They generally appear to have a better amount of restraint than those of European based decent like those of us in the States and a lot of places in Europe. Too bad they just turn that energy on themselves and sport a ridiculously high suicide rate instead.

What I meant was, when I first started driving usually people wouldn't want to use their cars as a weapon based upon, "I wouldn't because I could end up hurting myself even more!"

Now it's "I should be fine. My truck is huge and I have all these airbags. It's already damaged already from a previous incident so I don't care how it looks." (I actually HAD that last conversation with a girl from a class I was taking when she walked angry from getting cut off while driving to school.)

While I agree that or level of violent tendencies probably hasn't increased as a whole, I believe our restraint and willingness to do something and inconvenience others has increased. There isn't that public stigma to it anymore like there used to. Also people in general aren't as close to their families anymore, so societal leverage that used to strongly exist in the past is getting much weaker.

So long as it isn't with a gun. Those are evil... :rolleyes: I sometimes hate California with it's backwards thinking.

Crap, sorry mods and OP :D Got way off topic now eh?

Parking garages can be insane around here in SoCal. People go at a pretty fast speed, barely make the sharp radius turns at the end of them, and don't look back at all when backing out of a spot. I personally will do anything I can to not use a parking garage, whether on a bike or in my car, unless I absolutely have to. To those that do, I feel for you. It's like a Wally world parking lot, but on multiple levels with people generally in more of a hurry because they had to walk more to reach their vehicles. So they are going to try and make up the extra minute of walking to their cars by trying to get out of the complex ASAP. Leaving a parking garage when you are parked up top reminds me of a video game where the difficulty level goes up as you go back down.

Good luck and stay safe Brother Michigan. I don't envy that you have to use those death traps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dang Rick, at least you're ok. A lot of people in parking lots in general just back out and expect the oncoming traffic to yield to them, I'll do that to an extent depending on how far out of the spot they were when I'm coming through *be in my car or not* lol. That and with all the old people coming to Florida ALL THE TIME! They are definitely oblivious to ALOT of things around them and just make for something else we have to watch out for on the road.

Parking garages are my bane more than parking lots; people simply don't obey the various yield signs and basically intentionally try to murder me every day, regardless if I'm on foot, in my car, or on my bike. Luckily I've found a motorcycle spot that is out of the way of most traffic and doesn't seem to be used by anyone else.
I agree on parking garages, people just fly around the corners right up the middle not expecting anyone to be around the other side of the wall. Round abouts or Rotary are another spot that can be sketchy at times nobody ever seems to looks the way traffic is coming for some reason..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts