Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently purchased a Ninja 300 as my first bike and I've been loving it. I've had to buy the frame and a new engine before installing the new engine, had to replace the headlamps, blinkers and installed heated grips because my area loves to hit the high 100's in the day and low 30's-40's the same night. However, while I've been enjoying riding around town, I haven't felt like I could leave her in a parking stable to go into a store for more than 5 minutes and have now been looking into getting a GPS tracker.

I was looking at the Monimoto GPS tracker but noticed it was only on 3G and I've read that 3G will be phased out by Feb 2022. Would anyone happen to have a recommendation for a standalone GPS tracker? Just something that works, and preferably not one that A) relies on the main battery (I don't want to put too much strain on the battery) or B) has a $50+ monthly subscription on top of a $500 price tag. I understand I won't find anything in the cheapy sheepy "$20 total" range, I just want something reasonably priced.

On a side note: Would anyone know if spongey grip covers work with heated grips or are my fingies destined to either become icicles or enter the 8th dimension?

(I'm also hoping I'm posting this in the correct area)

·
Registered
332 Posts
sorry, I can't offer much help with GPS trackers. If theft is big concern maybe just get the bike insured against theft? stolen bikes normally get pretty beat up and trashed, not sure I'd want it back after that..

I'm more intrigued by your statement that you had to 'buy the frame and a new engine'...do you mean a new frame??..or the old frame and you put a new engine in it? What condition was the bike in when you bought it and what did you have to spend on a new engine and the other things to get it in riding condition? (and welcome to the forum)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah. I do have insurance for the bike, but it went from 200 to above 1000 for theft protection. I guess I'll try to upgrade my policy.

As for the bike, I purchased the frame (2014 EX300, 52k miles) from someone for $200. It had almost everything on it except that the stock engine that it had was damaged beyond repair. Something about the bearings boring through the valves or something? I don't remember the details. After that, I purchased a $800 (2016 EX300, 4k miles) engine and the seller helped me with replacing the old engine with the new one. It was a piece of cake, no complications, bike immediately fired up even though the bike was originally sitting for a few months with no engine before I purchased it. The bike has been running great, even through dropping it twice (I am a newb, after all). The seller thankfully gave me his frame sliders for free with the bike and some extra plastics he had. The seller only helped me with replacing the engine, though, and everything else that I replaced was done on my own. It's surprisingly a lot simpler than I was expecting to do work on the bike, if not a little time consuming to remove the plastics. Oh, and I replaced the chain as the previous one was REALLY gunked up with old oil and muck. Seller recommended for me to put on new chain oil after every ride, but I'm thinking of doing it every 200 miles or something.

I still need to strip down the whole bike again just so I can clean all the gunk on the frame and maybe repaint it as it seemed as though the paint was chipping in certain areas.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Great job doing that engine swap. On that bike,

I personally wouldn't care much about thieves. They usually look for more expensive bikes in which the parts are good condition.
It looks like you spent little on buying the bike, but are about to spend a lot to prevent a potential theft. I would get the cheapest insurance mandated by law and enjoy it. If you have the bad luck of getting your bike stolen, which seems to be very unlikely, you could just get another cheap bike with the money you saved from expensive insurance and GPS tracker.

Post a pic of the bike!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Well, I'll take your advice. In that case, I actually have another question. Your helmet, gloves, excruciatingly hot jacket, and other gear, what do you do with it when you park to go into a store or business (like taxes or even doctor's office/clinic)? Is it worth getting a saddle bag to store the helmet?

Also, here are some pic's of my bike.

Don't mind the bike in the background, that's a long term project just for fun.

·
Super Moderator
2,602 Posts
My advice to you is to never leave anything on your bike that you expect to be there when you come back to it. Sure, it's annoying to carry your helmet around with you, but would you want to ride home without it? I take my jacket, gloves, and helmet with me every time I walk away from my bike. I leave my tank bag, but if someone takes that, all they're getting is the bag, spare ear plugs, a few hair ties, gum, and a bottle of water. I've seen too many people get their helmets & jackets stolen after leaving them on the bike. Not even saddle bags, unless you get locking hard side, are a great solution.

·
Registered
332 Posts
back to your original question about theft protection / coverage...these are 'cheap' bikes...if theft protection is going to cost you an additional $800 in insurance per year I'd pass on that. I only carry liability on my bike..if it gets stolen or I wreck it I'm sol..but only a few thousand SOL!

As far as gear? I'm with Rogue..always take it with you. Bike looks nice! I was imagining a much rougher bike. Our little Ninjas are great little bikes, enjoy!

·
Registered
482 Posts
^^ Yes, with the engine swap, I also got the idea of a more rough bike. Bike looks good.

I have two helmets. When I use the bike to run errands, I take my older helmet and leave it hooked to the bike. There is a helmet hook under the passenger seat. If someone is odd enough to steal my old helmet, too bad, I guess I would get another, but it never happened in many years of riding.
The gloves fix in the backpack.
As for the jacket, that's more of a pain. Some times I take it with me. Some times I lock it with a cable lock with combination that I pass through the sleeve. Some times I wear a light jacket with no protection. Not the best option. I guess I got lazy after a life of riding with no accidents at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate everyone's input. I think I'm starting to get a better understanding on what to do with my gear, too. I was thinking of getting a second helmet so I can pick up my sister (after I become more accustomed to riding around) but I wasn't entirely sure on what to do with it.

For some weird reason, the idea of using a backpack never even crossed my mind as a viable means of carrying things around. That, and the Jackets are more winterproof than snow clothing. I should've taken a summer's riding jacket when I traveled to Canada in winter.

I'm also really grateful that the previous owner of the bike kept the bike out of the Sun. I think it was kept outdoors by the back door, so it was most likely sitting under a roofed area.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My advice to you is to never leave anything on your bike that you expect to be there when you come back to it.
As far as gear? I'm with Rogue..always take it with you.
I think this depends a LOT on geographical location!!!
Around here, I think I could leave my bike RUNNING and go into a store for 30 minutes and find the bike is still outside, untouched.
Always leave my helmet on the bike (on the little hook thingy). Never an issue. I'm very lax around here though, and leave stuff in the rear bag also.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A $20 cellphone with prepaid minutes n data, download a free GPS tracker app, hardwire to battery, install in generic waterproof black box, no monthly fees.

Ive got a $25 GPS tracker on my car, its plugs into OBD2 connector under dash. If its just you n not tracking a hoodlum kid or cheating spouse, you delay subscription fee until the day it gets stolen. Im looking for similar to plug into ECU tuning connector on my 300. Anyone got product links?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts