Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I currently own the Alpinestars Monster Scream perforated leather jacket.. Here in Southern California, the weather finally peaked at a mere 87 degrees.. However, on my ride home on the freeway, I was sweating and a bit uncomfortable... I honestly could not wait to get home from work and get out of that jacket..

I had been looking at purchasing the NEW Speed and Strength Moto Mercenary Armored Hoody as my secondary jacket.. My thinking behind this was that the air, whether it is cold or hot, will pass through the material a lot easier and I will still have the back, shoulder, and elbow protection featured in this years release of this jacket...

My question to you guys.... What jacket do you wear in this weather? It irritated me that I was uncomfortable in my AStars Perf jacket in what is considered around most states to be perfect riding weather... Will I get used to this or do I need to look at possibly purchasing another alternative jacket?

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Ok guys, I currently own the Alpinestars Monster Scream perforated leather jacket.. Here in Southern California, the weather finally peaked at a mere 87 degrees.. However, on my ride home on the freeway, I was sweating and a bit uncomfortable... I honestly could not wait to get home from work and get out of that jacket..

I had been looking at purchasing the NEW Speed and Strength Moto Mercenary Armored Hoody as my secondary jacket.. My thinking behind this was that the air, whether it is cold or hot, will pass through the material a lot easier and I will still have the back, shoulder, and elbow protection featured in this years release of this jacket...

My question to you guys.... What jacket do you wear in this weather? It irritated me that I was uncomfortable in my AStars Perf jacket in what is considered around most states to be perfect riding weather... Will I get used to this or do I need to look at possibly purchasing another alternative jacket?
I just got a jacket the is 100% mesh with all the armor.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wear this year-round http://www.highvelocitygear.com/juggernaut.html
If it's cold I wear a wind breaker over it http://bontrager.com/model/09219
That's actually a bicycle jacket but it serves its purpose well. It even survived a 20mph slide without so much as a mark even though my elbow was bleeding profusely from inside it....
If it's colder than say 40 F then I wear a long sleeve shirt underneath it all. The jacket blocks %100 of the wind and is completely waterproof, the armor keeps the jacket off my skin and provides a cavity for air to keep me warm.

But you asked about warm weather, I just use the armor jacket over a shirt. It doesn't shift around when you get the straps right.

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts

Dainese Air Frame Jacket + Rev'it Tornado Pants + Under Armor breathing / wicking shirt underneath.

It works great in Florida with our ridiculous humidity!

·
Banned
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately some of these links aren't working at the moment.. I will do some looking around for fishdip's idea... Cycle Gear appears to have but down for maintenance..

I completely forgot about wearing Under Armour Heat gear.. Haha I have a few Cold Gear long sleeves and they work pretty decent for colder weather.. I will have to check out the Heat Gear items they have..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
128 Posts
I wear a First Gear Killamanjaro jacket most of the year. It is a very versitile jacket. Great in very cold weather but can be converted to ride in warm weather also by removing the liner and opening vents. But it is too hot for any riding over 90 degrees IMO. I usually ditch it in the summer here in NC for a mesh jacket.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This is my jacket. I am in Canada... so it is still somewhat cold up here, but I got this one for the summer as it is a mesh jacket. It is basically a 3 season jacket. It has a waterproof/windbreaker liner and a thermal liner that is removable (3 in 1 type jacket). VERY comfortable. It is the Tourmaster Intake Air Series 3. Also it has armor in the elbows, shoulders, and articulated back armor. I can tell you, I am warm in this jacket! I may have to get the pants to match as my legs and my hands were the only things that were cold when I rode the other day. (time for warmer gloves also... lol)

the "black" piping you see on the front of the sleeves is also reflective!

Here is a link to their site... http://www.tourmaster.com/product/Textile_Jackets/Intake_Air_Series_3_Jacket/368/3

·
Registered
78 Posts
Howdy,

Good questions. Comfort is important to safety as well, as you are less focused if you are bothered by sweat, and severe heat can be dangerous. So having ridden through many very hot summers (SC and DC), I'll tell you a couple things I've learned.

1. I wear my leather until I literally can't stand it anymore -- that happens above about 90*, or if I will be stuck in stop-n-go traffic for long periods of time in the 80s-90s. Leather is simply superior, so I want it on if I can stand it at all.

2. When I can no longer stand it, I wear a mesh, fully armored jacket (including spine protector), but with 600D fabric at all impact zones. So avoid the 100% mesh if you can, because it will tear the second you hit pavement; instead, get mesh that is reinforced at elbow/forearm, shoulder. Here is Brian Van rocking my mesh jacket (no longer available): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TKYD0jhKO_M#t=25s.

Moisture wicking undergear is great, both for leather and mesh. Under my mesh jacket in the summer, it feels like air conditioning. Also: I ALWAYS wear my leathers when out in the mountains/canyons. If it's too hot for leather, it's too hot for riding aggressively, IMHO.

Hope that helps. Good luck! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts