Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Monday I had the wonderful opportunity to improve my riding with the crew at "stay upright", the training day was done at lakeside raceway. I refined a lot of things about my riding on the day and tested some new stuff out. Other than having the instructors to give advice though, it was wonderful to be able to run at the same corners over and over, without the worry of what bush the local law enforcement was hiding behind or a wally going 11km/h on the other side of the bend. It opened up a lot of attention to actually refining skills and trying out different lines .ect

I highly recommend anybody who wants to not ride like a wombat spend some time on the track with some instructors, it really is the best place to learn!

Oh, as an added bonus, your tyres look a little better after too. I'm running "Michelin pilot actives" that had 14,500km on them before the day. For those that know lakeside raceway, "hungry" corner really helped me learn where the limit's of traction wore, but also let me experiment with variances in entry speed vs roll on (how aggressive you can roll onto the throttle) before the rear started to spin up. I do enjoy spinning up the rear around that corner....

I've also noticed these last couple days after getting the opportunity to do some real cornering, consistent WOT down the straight and drag launches that I'm finding it easier to crawl along the road and be closer to the road rules. Just gets it out of the system a little, it's a pity the opportunity to spend time on the track are so few and far between.

Couple happy snaps of my tyre's before heading out the gate, will upload a couple on-track pics when I get them if anybody is interested.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice :p I'm itching to get on track for that same experience. Sometimes i go fast in twisties, but theres always that sensible person in me holding me back. Some corners I wont fully commit to because of the dangers. I just know that on the track my inner beast would be released :biggrin:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Squid is somebody who rides with little/no gear on and takes stupid un-calculated risks.

A wombat is somebody who drives/rides with little to no real talent, achieving point A to B based goals, but that's about all you would ask of them. Generally with the attitude "my driving(or riding) is fine! I got there without crashing!". These people are often the ones that travel between 1/2 and 1/4 of the appropriate speed in good conditions and think anybody who passes them is automatically being unsafe and menace to society. While on the flip side will still drive at the "speed limit" in poor conditions where its actually dangerous because "that's the speed limit therefore its safe!".

·
Registered
186 Posts
A wombat is somebody who drives/rides with little to no real talent, achieving point A to B based goals, but that's about all you would ask of them. Generally with the attitude "my driving(or riding) is fine! I got there without crashing!". These people are often the ones that travel between 1/2 and 1/4 of the appropriate speed in good conditions and think anybody who passes them is automatically being unsafe and menace to society. While on the flip side will still drive at the "speed limit" in poor conditions where its actually dangerous because "that's the speed limit therefore its safe!".

Oooooh. I learned something today.

See, where I live, we just call those people "assholes".

·
Registered
186 Posts
Have you seen what a wombat looks like and how un-coordinated they look? Wombat fits perfectly!
They're just so damned cute tho. If you called someone a wombat around here they would just look at you funny.

Also, those two pics above are fantastic!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also, those two pics above are fantastic!
Thanks! :)

I was a bit disappointed though, a little while after he stopped taking pictures I did a really nice rear wheel slide, biggest I've ever had, haha. Then the lap after that I got my knee down for the first time :D! Pity there was no photo's of those :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice pics :biggrin: I dunno what you guys think but from these pictures I can see the real need for clip ons showing through. When tucked in his forearms are no where near level... Would be so much more comfortable and easier with lower bars.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I completely agree, I think the stock bars are the worst thing about this bike. If it wasn't for the ludicrous laws here about bikes having ANY mods (for some license classes) i would have thrown the stock bars in the bin the 2nd day I owned the bike.

Thankfully I've now done my time on a retard license, can't wait to get into a better riding position and component quality around September.

My elbows and shoulders should actually be a bit lower than they are in these photo's, something for me to work on. My butt should also be a bit further off the seat, but that's something I got sorted out a little while after the photo was taken.

·
Registered
186 Posts
From the little bit of commuting I've done on my stock '14, I've already decided to switch out the bars and I'm thinking about a rear set as well. The riding position is way too high as it is now.

My track record for modding things is iffy though. =/

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just had a re-read threw, I found it quite amusing that instead of having talking about the benefits of practicing riding on a track vs carpark/road we got onto a conversation about wombats and how the stock bars are garbage.... :eek:fftopic: :woohoo2_smilie:

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol, well nobody cant ever complain that the threads we have are dull & boring i guess and never learn anything from them :emot-hfive:
Well.... Your not wrong...

Seriously though, feel like I made massive improvements from the day. I really wish it was something I could do more than bi-annual at most :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts