Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
934 Posts
For a summer helmet, I have a Nolan n43e Trilogy helmet.

I really liek it, its not a true modular helmet, its a helmet that can be converted to a half or open face. But if I did it all over again, I would just buy a full face, and not have it modular, I dont use the modular option often, especially on the nolan, because the visor is HUGE! like your entire face huge. haha acts as a modular with the lenses alone!

However, go to www.revzilla.com
They are very good to work with and have nice helmets at about the cheapest I have found besides buying them used.... which I would never do ;D
They have a nice option you can select by price range and style of the helmet, and whats included within the helmet.

Lets say, you want to set your perimeters below 300, and you want an internal sun visor, and you want it to be a solid helmet,
plug that in and you'll get all that fall within that category.

· Registered
304 Posts
Check websites for closeout deals on last year's models, you can find some great deals. I got an AGV back in 05, retail was $400, paid $175. I just bought an HJC CL-16 Shock for $135 on Amazon. Snell approved and it has a removable liner. It's a little on the heavy side, but feels like a solid helmet.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check websites for closeout deals on last year's models, you can find some great deals. I got an AGV back in 05, retail was $400, paid $175. I just bought an HJC CL-16 Shock for $135 on Amazon. Snell approved and it has a removable liner. It's a little on the heavy side, but feels like a solid helmet.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App
175 down from 400 :0 :0
Thats hard to believe :eek:

· Registered
934 Posts
find the helmet you want, not the one on sale, you dont want to think every time you use it, that you wanted something better, or something a different helmet, but got that one because it was cheap.

find the helmet you want first! then shop around for a good deal on it.

Reactions: Sebi

· Registered
562 Posts
I almost bought an Alliance instead of springing for my Shark Speed-R. I was also looking pretty intently at the Icon Airmada, but they didn't have anything I liked other than the flat black "rubatone" finish. Both helmets were extremely comfortable for me, but I think I've got a rather long head.

· Registered
2,942 Posts
I have never researched this.. What does a $300+ helmet get you vs a $150 helmet?? Not talking sale or clearance deals, talking MSRP..

When I was at cycle gear, the guy told me not to waste my money on a expensive helmet unless I was racing, and when a sales guy says dont buy the expensive one I usually listen haha.. So I bought the $150 one and he said for daily use its no different then the $300+ one..

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never researched this.. What does a $300+ helmet get you vs a $150 helmet?? Not talking sale or clearance deals, talking MSRP..

When I was at cycle gear, the guy told me not to waste my money on a expensive helmet unless I was racing, and when a sales guy says dont buy the expensive one I usually listen haha.. So I bought the $150 one and he said for daily use its no different then the $300+ one..
100% agree
Now for under 300... Which one should I get.
All protect you in a crash.
I guess its a matter of race protection, grafics, comfort, quality and name

· Registered
18 Posts
I almost bought an Alliance instead of springing for my Shark Speed-R. I was also looking pretty intently at the Icon Airmada, but they didn't have anything I liked other than the flat black "rubatone" finish. Both helmets were extremely comfortable for me, but I think I've got a rather long head.
I found the fit/finish of the Alliance to be better than a lot of comparably priced helmets. The liner was more plush and shaped to my head better than a double-the-price AGV AX-8 Dual, and the Alliance blew the comparable helmets from HJC, Scorpion, and Nolan out of the water. The only thing I saw is that the chin strap on the Alliance is a traditional D-ring buckle vs some of the cam systems or other quick-close chin straps on other helmets. I still think the Icon is a superior product. Note: I don't work for Icon or any of their affiliates. Just a very quality-focused buyer on a tight budget!

· Registered
18 Posts
ONE MORE THING
~~~~~~~~~~~~

What are respectable helmet brands?
I know I'm flogging He|| for Leather on here, but the link below will take you to all the posts on their site regarding helmets. They tend to have good taste in gear at a variety of price points. You'll learn a lot from reading their reviews and thoughts-- not your typical motorcycle journalists, that's for sure.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/tagged/helmet/

· Registered
132 Posts
Any helmet Dot and possibly Snell certified will due. Just make sure it fits very snug. Wind noise isn't much difference between model especially for a new rider. But... in the end style does factor in. Set a price range you can afford and choose what you will like to see yourself wearing. You can always upgrade later. You are less likely to buy a new helmet if the one you buy now is >350. That might be 2 bike payments or more. Good timing on a new helmet will be when you finish paying off the bike or right before you get a new bike so the helmet style/design fits the new bike purchase.

Sent from my MB886 using Motorcycle.com Free App

· Premium Member
1,159 Posts
HJC helmets are usually not very expensive.

Reputable brands?

Arai, Shoei, Bell are three I put up there
That's the " Big 4" for sure. HJC finally stepped up a few years back with Ben Spies and the RPS-10. Those are on closeout under $300 as HJC has the newer RPHA-10. Every once in a while we can snag an Arai or Shoei sub $300, but gotta be quick. :D

· Registered
761 Posts
For me, the best fitting helmets have always been HJC. I've probably had 10 of them over the years.
I think I have 6 right now. I have a few motocross, and snowmobile examples, as well as street helmets.
Great value/quality.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.