Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I just changed the battery on this 2017 Ninja 300 and I can’t get the red positive battery sleeve to fit into and cover the terminal properly. It’s literally just sitting on top. Is this okay?

Also, in the second pic, there is a second cable that extends from the terminal connectors. The previous owner has zip tied it to the frame.

1) is this an aftermarket part for trickle charging?
2) if the battery is a good battery and the bike starts nicely, why would this be necessary?
3) if I don’t want this hanging out, can I just shove it back under the seat or should I buy a new wire harness that doesn’t have that extension?

thanks for any help.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The new battery may have a different connector that doesn't allow the red sleeve to go all the way down. Check if the new battery positive connector is different from the original. The red sleeve is a nice to have, but not a must. You can take it out, or cut it a bit to make it slide down, or maybe you can squeeze it down with the plastic battery cover.
I would check the battery connection to see if there is another way to connect it that allow the sleeve to go down.
Secondly, I would cut it a bit to make it go down.

You're right about the cable zip tied to the frame, It's there to connect a battery charger without having to remove the seat. Most of us keep the battery on a charger when the bike is not in use, or at least give it a slow charge once in a while. It extends the battery life.
You can take it out if you don't want it. Disconnect the battery bolts all the way and remove the cable. You don't need to replace anything.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new battery may have a different connector that doesn't allow the red sleeve to go all the way down. Check if the new battery positive connector is different from the original. The red sleeve is a nice to have, but not a must. You can take it out, or cut it a bit to make it slide down, or maybe you can squeeze it down with the plastic battery cover.
I would check the battery connection to see if there is another way to connect it that allow the sleeve to go down.
Secondly, I would cut it a bit to make it go down.

You're right about the cable zip tied to the frame, It's there to connect a battery charger without having to remove the seat. Most of us keep the battery on a charger when the bike is not in use, or at least give it a slow charge once in a while. It extends the battery life.
You can take it out if you don't want it. Disconnect the battery bolts all the way and remove the cable. You don't need to replace anything.

Good luck.
Would you happen to know if this is a stock feature or was this an aftermarket part? Thanks for the lengthy reply above.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It's aftermarket.
It's a cable that comes with the battery charger.

If you ride the bike weekly, the battery will be always charged. No need to charge it.
If the bike have periods of no use, like a month or more, then it's a good idea to have a charger.

Also, if any event drains the battery and you find the bike with a dead battery, the charger will take out of trouble in a couple of hours, and you save a trip to the shop or call the assistance.

·
Registered
259 Posts
it's called an SAE connector and is a great, universal connector that can be used for a bunch of things. Mine is zip tied in almost the exact same spot as yours..I use it for both charging the battery and I also have a cable connected to it that runs up to my handlebars to my RAM mount, so I can charge my phone on the bike when I use it for music or GPS.

It can also power heated clothing (in theory)...lots of great reasons to keep it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the tips. It didn’t even occur to me to use it as a “plug”. Makes sense to keep it for the time being. Thank you for the suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts