Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, about 2 weeks ago I dumped my bike over, and ever since then whenever turn the bike on (no ignition yet) the battery light comes on. Once I start it the battery light stays on for about 1 Minute then turns off. Also whenever I start the bike the RPM needle goes al the way across the TAC and the dash resets. Today while riding it the dash flickerd before the bike died on me mid-ride. Can anyone help me with this problem

·
Registered
386 Posts
I would start by checking the battery. You will need a Volt Meter. Doesn't need to be fancy or expensive.

Before starting the voltage should read 12.7V or more. During cranking the voltage should stay above 10V. After starting, at idle, the voltage should be in the mid 13V range. At about 4000 RPMs you should see around 14V.

Also check the terminal connections to make sure they are snug.

Seeing as how the problem started after a drop, I'm guessing the battery is bad or there is a loose connection.

EDIT: Hopefully that's it. If not, Topaz probably has the answer below.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me when the stator failed. Tachometer needle doing strange things, red battery light on, flickering cluster, then bike dies with a drained battery.

Charge the battery and try it as @jkv45 45 said. If the battery is good, then check the stator, the RR (regulator/rectifier) and the rotor.
From what I learned while repairing mine, the stator in the N300 is prone to fail, especially at higher temps, as in riding it at high revs or in hot weather. Also, it looks like 2013's models are likely to burn the stator at around 13-15k miles no matter what.

When I saw the red light on, I had about ten minutes before the bike died. Had I unplugged the head light, I would have gotten some extra minutes, probably enough to make it home.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Odd it happened after dumping the bike though. Maybe it did loosen the battery connection though, but that sounds unlikely if it was assembled correctly. Mine's been dropped multiple times by previous owners, and it never had any issues, dropped on either side. Cringeworthy though haha.

-Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies, when I turned the bike on and it was running there was about 12.7 volts which means the battery was charged but was not charging, we tested the stator which showed up about .3 resistance. It should be reading about .5-1.0, so it's a bit low. It does have problems starting and the dash still resets when it does start.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thank you all for the replies, when I turned the bike on and it was running there was about 12.7 volts which means the battery was charged but was not charging, we tested the stator which showed up about .3 resistance. It should be reading about .5-1.0, so it's a bit low. It does have problems starting and the dash still resets when it does start.
Check it before starting and when cranking as I described above.

12.7 is too low of voltage for running at idle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sounds like Stator/rectifier.

I was also going to say if the charging system & battery are good check to see if the gauge cluster is properly plugged in & undamaged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts