Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, if anyone could shed some light on my problem that would be great. Any ideas for how to remove the standard bar ends to fit aftermarket ones? The standard ones on my bike seem to have been grafted to the bike by a combination of the force and some nuclear weapons grade loctite!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Torch is probably your best bet. It took me almost 45 Mins to put on my yoshi ends.. Their loctite is a serious force to be reckoned with haha

Reactions: blewy

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I used the beat with a hammer method.. I broke several screw driver tips trying to remove them haha.. I put on the yosh ends as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, was looking for some reassurance of using more force trying to get them off :D...will give the torch, hammer and an impact drill on hand tonight to show these bar ends whose boss!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Impact driver works wonders

What yoshi ends are you guys talking about?

·
Registered
865 Posts
NICE I just bought the exact same ones haha their in the mail... supposed to be here tomorrow or something.

I removed mine a few days ago to install heated grips, and heating up with a small torch is the best way, you smoke your grips slightly if you use a torch too big like me, but ti wasn't even noticeable lol

use a #3 screwdriver socket and use gentle force, you dont want to strip those heads.. if you strip them... you lose your chance of ever getting them off without drilling them haha, or unless your liek me and keep them as spares and want to keep them nice

·
Registered
865 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I think I only held it there for 15-20 seconds, I was worried about melting the grips.. I could of carred less about ruining the screws though as I knew I would never put the stock ones back on. As one point I actually thought about using my EZ-Out on them haha

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yeah your gonan need to put it for longer than that, Just heat it up fro 15-20sec, then take a wet cloth, wet down your grips real fast and put more heat.

really, they smoke a little, but they dont really leave any cracks, hardness, or singe marks if you do it right

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Damn that's a lot of work to do just to change bar ends... Anyone have any easier suggestions? I don't have access to a blowtorch lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Yeah bugger that, an impact driver is all you need mate, don't be scared to give it a whack either, just not overly hard. A few knocks on that and she will come out. I had to whack it about 10 times before I had any movement, you just gotta break the grip of the Loctite on the screw. Don't try too much with a normal screwdriver, you probably wont get it and you will just end up stripping the head of the screw.

If you don't have an impact driver, you will need some heat applied to the bar ends, particularly the bolts/screw. If you don't have a heat gun, a hairdryer will work ok, those things can get pretty hot. Otherwise a heat gun will give it that bit more heat. You are only basically trying to melt/soften the Loctite on the inside to make it easier to turn the screw. Try this if you cant get hold of an impact driver.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts