Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am waiting on my car to sell so that I can buy my 300 but I am planning on riding to school and work as well as other places of course because it is going to be used for commuting as well as pleasure.

I have been mainly looking at three backpacks, Alpinestars' Tech Aero, Ogio's No Drag Mach 5, and MotoCentric's Centrek.

I have been looking at everything down to features and carrying capacity and so forth. However I was wondering if any of you use any of these backpacks or possibly another kind and could tell me if it can fit things in the organizer as well as books, notebooks, and a laptop.

To me, it seems that the Tech Aero has the most space for things like books and such but I really cannot tell. Please let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I own a Ogio Mach 5. I like it, but I still need to use an alternate backpack for heavier loads. It's only really made for daily commuting, light shopping, or a weekend out visiting people. I wouldn't want to put too many books in it or anything too heavy. Partly because it's tricky fit much in it, and due to it's shape. the bottom is angled, and you don't want heavy things forcing it out of shape.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I personally use a OGIO No Drag Mach 3 works perfect, holds laptop A4 folder iPad laptop charger pens everything. The hard case curve does make it a bit harder but no issues just means if its a big A4 folder cover it gets bent a bit. But thats just me being picky.

Also has a little pouch on the top of the back part where you can put a phone or mp3 player with a slot for headphone cable.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have a laptop backpack, but don't like it as well as a cheap one I bought at Walmart cause that one is lighter and yet large and strong enough for my gym clothes, library books, or a light shopping. I suppose if I ever took my laptop, I would use the better padded laptop backpack.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own a Ogio Mach 5. I like it, but I still need to use an alternate backpack for heavier loads. It's only really made for daily commuting, light shopping, or a weekend out visiting people. I wouldn't want to put too many books in it or anything too heavy. Partly because it's tricky fit much in it, and due to it's shape. the bottom is angled, and you don't want heavy things forcing it out of shape.
Thank you! That was exactly my concern for the mach 5, the definite shape is awesome but yet makes it hard to put books and whatnot, would be perfectly fine if I was stuffing the thing with clothes or other misc. stuff.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a laptop backpack, but don't like it as well as a cheap one I bought at Walmart cause that one is lighter and yet large and strong enough for my gym clothes, library books, or a light shopping. I suppose if I ever took my laptop, I would use the better padded laptop backpack.
I currently have a nice UnderArmour backpack with a sternum strap that would be pretty good for riding that carries plenty and all, however I just wanted to find something that is essentially the same as my backpack with a helmet carrier and possibly more waterproof attributes. (This being the reason I like the Tech Aero a lot, however it is $170 and I have found cheaper versions of the other backpacks in other places and don't know how well the Tech holds up with lots of things)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I currently have a nice UnderArmour backpack with a sternum strap that would be pretty good for riding that carries plenty and all, however I just wanted to find something that is essentially the same as my backpack with a helmet carrier and possibly more waterproof attributes. (This being the reason I like the Tech Aero a lot, however it is $170 and I have found cheaper versions of the other backpacks in other places and don't know how well the Tech holds up with lots of things)
I used to have a good swiss backpack, but once I went to Mach 5, I won't go back. Really light, much easier on the shoulders when riding.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to have a good swiss backpack, but once I went to Mach 5, I won't go back. Really light, much easier on the shoulders when riding.
Yeah the Mach series has such a great design to it as well but as Woomba and jnsh said: heavy packing (books and such) is not really the Mach's specialty. Also, I wish they had a better helmet holding system rather than a strap that will hold it while it hits your leg haha.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I use the Mach 5 to commute to work and road trips. I haven't had any problems fitting things in it and it is real comfortable. Couldn't beat it for $127. You do have to be careful when its on though. Swinging around and scraping it up against walls is less forgiving than a canvas pack. The faux carbon fiber could get scraped up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use the Mach 5 to commute to work and road trips. I haven't had any problems fitting things in it and it is real comfortable. Couldn't beat it for $127. You do have to be careful when its on though. Swinging around and scraping it up against walls is less forgiving than a canvas pack. The faux carbon fiber could get scraped up.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
What all do you put in the bag at one time?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have an Icon Squad II
Holds a lot of stuff and can even hold the helmet/jacket if you need it to.
It is a little less casual looking than I am looking for, more military base or camping oriented to me haha. HOWEVER, it does look like it holds a lot in a convenient way right in the $100ish price range so thank you, I will put that on my consideration list.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have an Icon Squad II
Holds a lot of stuff and can even hold the helmet/jacket if you need it to.
I second this. Definitely holds a lot of stuff and has the added benefit of being a reflective vest. Yeah it's not "casual" but it's super practical :cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I second this. Definitely holds a lot of stuff and has the added benefit of being a reflective vest. Yeah it's not "casual" but it's super practical :cool:
Yeah, however, I just finished reading up on it, and just about every review says that it is not great material and after about 6 months or so the seams start to tear; not something you want in a $150 investment. I think I am going to go with the Tech Aero, although people have not commented about it on here, the reviews and overviews of this backpack seem ideal.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yea, you have to baby the Mach series to make it last/keep it's pretty looks. Whenever I need to do heavy lifting, I use my other Targus backpack. It wasn't purpose built for motorcycles, but my god is it invincible. I've used it daily for the better part of 6 years and it shows no sign of falling apart. Despite me loading it to the brim with textbooks, bags of milk and other assorted heavy things when I go grocery shopping.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the Alpinestars Tech Aero for carrying stuff while on the bike, and a Booq Mamba Shift L for my daily backpack.

The Tech Aero is nice, but doesn't carry much. Same goes for the Booq, albeit you can carry more.

Both look better than most backpacks, especially the Booq one.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Well if you want a durable, non-motorcycle specific pack, there's always tactical/assault packs. Mine can carry a ridiculous amount of shit and still won't be filled to capacity. I use it sometimes. It would probably weigh too much to lift before I really stuff it to the max haha. I have the Rush 72 by 5.11. Doesn't have nice motorcycle specific storage spots but it just holds SO MUCH. To put it into perspective, I stuffed this into the pack. They are mostly rigid and maintain their shape so I couldn't just fold them up or anything. I stuck one of them mostly into the other, then put it in the main compartment. There was still plenty of room. :p

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use one for my military backpacks since it has plenty of space,features and I think people's brains are wired to notice military gear.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts