1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at some back protection. Here are the options I'm considering:
Typical back protectors

Alpinestar's backpack that has a spot for an insert

Or a jacket with something more than a foam pad. I'm open to recommendations good for daily commutes.

Does anyone have experience with any of these? And while i'm asking, is there a neck protection on the market that you can still make head checks while wearing?
Thanks

·
Registered
299 Posts
The back protectors that you strap on probably provide the most protection. An insert into your jacket is probably next (and for commuting, probably the best compromise, since there isn't an extra piece you put on). I have one of the Dainese inserts in my jacket, and it doesn't move around too much, nor does it really bother me when I'm riding, walking, or on public transit :p

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on the dainese. Took out the good for nothing foam POS and replaced it with the dainese. Quite ergonomic sometimes I forget its there lol
It seems like the hard ones, like the KNOX i have pictured, would have a serious advantage over these soft inserts. Do people not get them because they aren't comfortable? Or is it that these soft, flexible pads are saviors too?
Three Lions said:
Would this be any better than a well equipped jacket?

·
Banned
62 Posts
It seems like the hard ones, like the KNOX i have pictured, would have a serious advantage over these soft inserts. Do people not get them because they aren't comfortable? Or is it that these soft, flexible pads are saviors too?

The hard ones look tougher but they aren't. It's all about spreading the shock impact. I don't understand the science but these are tested to some serious impact and have been rated CE level 2 which is the best you can get. You can also re use them after a crash which is not always the case with the solid ones as they can crack and lose their strength.
Obviously it's your choice but I wouldn't worry what the material is made of, just look for the level of protection, anything with CE level 2 is the best, C E level one is good but not quite as good. If it just says CE protection then it will be level 1 because if it was level 2 they would splash it all over the advert

·
Banned
62 Posts

I don't think it matters, it's all about the level of protection it offers. Forcefield offer it in suits or jacket inserts for elbows, shoulders and back.

It's more a case of whether you want inserts to go in a jacket or whether you want an undersuit that you can put normal clothing over the top.

I have the jacket inserts like these and I use a back insert which is CE level 2. You won't get level 2 inserts for anywhere other than the back, these arm and shoulder inserts are upgrades to put in your jacket and they are CE level 1

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I got a D3O back armor insert for my jacket and its great. CE level 2, light, and extremely flexible. Was a very reasonable price too ($40). I also got a forcefield strap-on back armor but I had issues with it riding up and rubbing my neck, but that's probably due to me being small.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Reactions: Snowbandit16

·
Banned
62 Posts
Just ordered this jacket http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/fallout_jacket.html

Price is just too good to pass up. Looks like it has a decent back protector and there are CE offerings.

You should find a jacket you like that comes with optional CE approved back inserts.
That's all well and good, but look at the wording. It mentions CE rating in the arms and shouders but doesn't mention it in the back.

'Removable spine armor' is sales talk for cheap bit of foam with zero protection. Have a look when you get the jacket as you don't want to be riding around thinking you're all protected when you might not be

I'm not having a go at your jacket but in my experience 99% of jackets come with a bit of rubbish foam in the back that is pretty much useless as protection. I've seen very expensive jackets that you would think would come with something good in them and again, a cheap bit of foam.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
... I've seen very expensive jackets that you would think would come with something good in them and again, a cheap bit of foam.
Ya, almost all of the jackets i'm seeing are compatible with legit backpads, but very few actually have one. I'm willing to pay the extra 50-100 if the jacket's good lookin, but they seem to be pretty uncommon.
Something like this, but in a textile jacket would be perfect:

"... CE Level 2 protection. This means the protector offers double the impact performance of a CE Level 1 protector and an ergonomic 5 plate construction contours to follow the natural curve of the back with plates which lock to lessen overextension of the back"

·
Banned
62 Posts
Ya, almost all of the jackets i'm seeing are compatible with legit backpads, but very few actually have one. I'm willing to pay the extra 50-100 if the jacket's good lookin, but they seem to be pretty uncommon.
It's not very common for jackets to have decent back armour. A good CE level 2 back protector will set you back between $75-100 and jacket makers don't want to have to put that money on top of a jacket when they can put a cheap piece of foam in there and mention CE armour in the arms and Shoulders.

To be fair, Kairus has done well to get CE level 1 in the arms and shoulders as standard as a lot of jackets won't even have that.

·
Banned
62 Posts

"Alpinestars exclusive DFD Technology means this protector is reduced in thickness and in weight: 15mm thinner and 130g lighter than previous technology and yet achieves CE Level 2 protection. This means the protector offers double the impact performance of a CE Level 1 protector and an ergonomic 5 plate construction contours to follow the natural curve of the back with plates which lock to lessen overextension of the back"
The A*'s will usually have decent arm and shoulder (CE 1) but you'd have to pay extra for the chest and back protector or you could get something like this and just wear a normal leather or mesh jacket over the top.

·
Registered
78 Posts

"... CE Level 2 protection. This means the protector offers double the impact performance of a CE Level 1 protector and an ergonomic 5 plate construction contours to follow the natural curve of the back with plates which lock to lessen overextension of the back"
I just bought this -- it's pretty awesome. I'm big on armor that straps directly to you, though, since that helps keep it from moving in a crash. My daily gear involves this armor vest, Dianese hard shorts, KNOX Cross Knee Guards all under riding pants and jacket. I feel much safer like this than with a jacket and pants that just hang off me.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a Fox armored shirt similar to the Alpine*, I think it's made for dirt bikes but I don't care, fits great. Throw on my oversized sweater & I'm off!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I wouldn't recommend dainese insert back protectors as they are expensive and can only be used once. meaning after a crash, its pretty much done for.

there are better back protectors out there such as forcefield

also take a look at D30. I currently use their back protector, as it was recommended to me by the revzilla staff at their showroom. its awesome! and its $40!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I wouldn't recommend dainese insert back protectors as they are expensive and can only be used once. meaning after a crash, its pretty much done for.

there are better back protectors out there such as forcefield

also take a look at D30. I currently use their back protector, as it was recommended to me by the revzilla staff at their showroom. its awesome! and its $40!
I highly recommend D3O armor. So slim, light, and flexible, yet provides top-notch protection for multiple impacts. Forcefield is also good armor though not as flexible as D3O. D3O for my inserts and forcefield for other armor.

·
Registered
652 Posts
RevIt's Seesoft CE Level 2 back armor is great, light, flexible and it breathes. Only $50 too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts