Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I crashed a few weeks ago and in assessing the repairs the mechanic is saying it will cost $340 just to repair the left rearset (that's the parts price from Kawasaki, not labor). Literally the first link on ebay is for a SET of awesome adjustable black rearsets that only cost $200:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-2014-K...i|Model:Ninja+300&hash=item3a949b5487&vxp=mtr

What do you guys think, are they going to explode when I hit 20mph our anything? I can't find mutch online for "Area 22" but they seem fairly legit. Looks like they're in Canada (but have free expedited shipping!) so I don't think they're cheep Chinese parts, and there are a lot of replacement parts per the ad.

- Spencer

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Never heard of them but you could be the first to try them out! Just make sure to give us a review after you install them. On another note, you can always buy Woodcraft or Vortex rearsets which many members have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll definitely review them if I get em! The Vortex and woodcraft ones are too pricy for me right now, I have to repair the fairings and handle bars as well. I'm only interested in these because they are so much cheaper but appear to still be decently built.

- Spencer

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know about the aluminium - makes me feel a little more safe anyways. The SV ones aren't a bad suggestion, they are a little ugly but about the same price. I'll think about it but for now I'm leaning towards the area 22's.

Thanks!
- Spencer

·
Registered
484 Posts
Ive got sv racing rearsets and yea they're not that great looking but the qualitys good. I might swap em for those area 22's they look awesome.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah they're pretty sweet looking. They look like they match my bike perfectly, I'm doing all metal in black with red accents. The adjustability also seems awesome, you can change pretty much anything about them!

- Spencer

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
When you get into "Aircraft" grade aluminum's it comes down to how they are made. 7075 is a tougher grade but it can also be more brittle depending on the final temper. It's all marketing really at this point. I'd rather have something that bends than something that can withstand a bullet strike, just as a for instance. If it is super rigid it will snap if it is hogged out for super light weight. If it is inexpensive and suits your purpose then give it a shot. Throw "cast" or "forged" into the equation and prices are going to be all over the place.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Do aftermarket rearsets typically fold up and return with a spring, like the oem rearsets?

I've seen ones without a spring to allow for quick return. I think it would be bad if the peg folded up while you were riding and couldn't get it back down easily.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hm that's a good question. From the photos it looks like these might not even fold up, but I don't know. In some of the shots it looks like there might be a spring on the bottom, but I can't rightly tell. It would be kind of useless if they didn't fold though wouldn't it?

- Spencer

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I heard back from the company:

"No, our footpegs don't fold up, they are similar to racing rear sets.

We do plan to build a folding peg as you mentioned as an option, but have not completed them yet."

- Spencer

·
Registered
807 Posts
Did you ever end up getting these rearsets?

I am interested in a review if so. Shopping around for rearsets currently, but I'm not sure if I can justify $455 for SATO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
These are nice, I did my research on them a little bit ago and they are simply re-branded China products. Which is not always necessarily a bad thing. I still plan on possibly getting some because the price is awesome.

However, it angered me when I wrote the company months and months ago and we were talking via email back and forth, when I brought up the question about them being China re-branded rear sets, I never heard back from them again. So they look nice, just not to sure about the customer service if they are to scared to admit where they get their product it must not be that great.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm in a position to whether go with these for 200 or get the yoshimura rearset adjusters for 100...

·
Registered
67 Posts
340 Seems a bit expensive, I broke my left rearset and replaced it myself for only about 75 dollhairs. Granted the peg and the shifter are intact on mine.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah, I can't come to terms with forking up 300-400$ rearsets.... Yes they look badass..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I needed to replace a broken foot peg so I bought the Gold Area 22 rearsets for my 2014 Ninja 300 that I plan on tracking. They look great. They don't fold up. They didn't come with any instructions.
For what it's worth, you can say I'm pretty inexperienced at working on mechanical projects but give me some time and I can usually figure stuff out. I was hurried for time when I was installing these and I've yet to get the time to try it again.
I got the left rearset on after some trial and error. It works great. Shifts are quick and clean.
The right rearset was a little more tricky. I was able to get everything hooked up except the stock spring for the brake light was too long. I guess I could have bent the spring to make it work but I wasn't sure about it and didn't want to ruin the spring so I just took it off and put the stock rearset back on.
Another thing is the supplied bolts seemed to be too long. When I used them to bolt the rearsets onto the frame they didn't meet flush, there were still visible bolt threads. I got around this by using the stock bolts, which worked.
I emailed the company and they got back to me in less than an hour. They asked for some pictures so they can help. They said they rarely have problems with these but suggested having a mechanic install the rearsets.
This was just my experience. Like I said, they look and (the left rearset at least) work great. But with limited time and my inexperience, I had a tough time installing them. Hopefully, when I get a couple undisturbed hours I'll be able to figure it out. I'll update what happens.
In the mean time, if anyone has any experience and/or suggestions they'd be appreciated.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts