Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I called the dealership today, the local one rather than the one I purchased from and got a quote for the first service..$290 before tax!!!

I needed a good laugh today but are these people serious? I asked why they were so expensive and the answer the tech gave me was "Well your oil and filter cost money too..and..uh..you know the gaskets we use and whatnot..you wont get a better price anyways..first services are flat rates:emot-airquote:."

I've made comments before about this dealership being unreasonable but that's just insane over $300 after tax for a first service.

Looks like its time to get out the tools & oil pan and do it myself. I'd rather know it was done right anyways, plus it gives me an excuse to order the stands i've been waiting for!

On a side note my Yoshi R77 slip on came today so I'm pretty excited to install it. Just waiting for the next 4 days of rain to pass. :woohoo2_smilie:

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
Your book tells you everything you need to know for the first service. Can easily be done at home

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
what gaskets?

seriously, just do your own. synthetic oil + filter you can be done for around $40, and you'll get to know your bike a little better. make sure everything looks good:

fluids are full and the right color
check throttle tube play
check clutch adjustment
make sure your lights are all working
check chain tension and clean/lube it
anything else you can really think of.. like tire pressure and normal wear..
if you want to go over major component bolts and make sure they are tight, I doubt many dealers actually do this.

you'll save yourself $260.. and wouldn't you know it, that's almost exactly what an area p tuner costs with shipping ;)

if you're nervous about changing the oil, look at some you-tube videos.. it's REALLY easy. the first filter change is a pain though, most people drive a screwdriver through the filter and use it as a handle for leverage.. that thing is really on there tight..

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mighty pricey there. I was quoted approx. $150 when I picked up my 300. I was thinking of taking it to them when the time came just to abide by recommendations during the warranty period. OP, which dealer is that?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Mighty pricey there. I was quoted approx. $150 when I picked up my 300. I was thinking of taking it to them when the time came just to abide by recommendations during the warranty period. OP, which dealer is that?
You don't void warranty by doing your own work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My first service was under $200.
Ditto. I think mine was $174 + tax. All the items seemed easy enough to DIY, but I wanted to have the dealer do the 600 mile service so I had it on record.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I never go to the dealer unless it's something I can't do. Changing the oil is simple. Lube your chain check for slack look at the bolts to make sure they haven't come loose. And you're done. Amazon has a package for the ninja 300 3quarts oil and filter $35. And I thought you couldn't run synthetic until after 1500 miles or so?…

$250 or $275 was what I was quoted from my dealer. No thanks. Plus they keep it for a day.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I never go to the dealer unless it's something I can't do. Changing the oil is simple. Lube your chain check for slack look at the bolts to make sure they haven't come loose. And you're done. Amazon has a package for the ninja 300 3quarts oil and filter $35. And I thought you couldn't run synthetic until after 1500 miles or so?…

$250 or $275 was what I was quoted from my dealer. No thanks. Plus they keep it for a day.
I went to the dealer one time (for tires and head bearing), they scratched one of the inner cowls, had the chain as tight as possible (bad), twisted the brake line, left it pretty dirty and greasy (on the white painted finish), etc.. never again. if I NEED something done, I'll go somewhere else. I do all regular maintenance myself.

you can run full synthetic from day one, the only reason not to is that you change it very early (break in) and you'll likely end up doing a second oil change really soon as well too (many recommend doing a second one under 2k miles on the clock). that gets pricey. otherwise there is no reason you can't switch to synthetic, actually many high-end cars come with syn from the factory prior to break in and have never seen "dino" oil.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mine cost me $50 instead of $250. Because I do the oil + filter and they check it over/ do the chain and stamp the book so its still under warranty :) I think thats a win win!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My first service was about $150. Took about an hour and a half, I waited there. They actually found that my coolant hose was leaking and ordered the parts and fixed it under warranty. Do the oil change yourself if you want to and see how much they will charge then.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I agree with others here. Do your own service as much as possible! If you don't know how to do some things, you can easily learn by doing or consult some helpful vids on the Internet. I have a vid on changing oil for both a GSX-R and a 2013 Ninja 300.

Here's the Ninja 300 oil-change vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULHcX7HjuYI

--

Reactions: RicoSuav

·
Registered
246 Posts
My first service was about $150. Took about an hour and a half, I waited there. They actually found that my coolant hose was leaking and ordered the parts and fixed it under warranty. Do the oil change yourself if you want to and see how much they will charge then.
+1 I also waited for mine and changed my oil myself but plain jane Kawasaki oil the dealer gave me for the first change, then I went full synthetic near 4k miles. Im no bike pro yet so I took my bike in for the first service so a professional could look it over and make sure nothing was coming undone. think I paid under 100 for the service and like 40$ for oil, 300$ is robbery

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
This is a good suggestion for those wanting to reduce the price. I do this with my car to save on the cost of my extended warranty services.........changing the oil and filter myself. $125 off the price of the service.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was quoted $145 for the first service.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It amazes me at the price of some of these first services. I did my own oil change and had dealer do everything else of first service which included checking fluids, check chain and lube, check nut and bolts. Also had them install 15t sprocket and do ecu recall while it was there. Only cost me just under $41.00 for that.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
By the way, don't use synthetic oil. Your FCC clutch will start to slip out of gear and all the gaskets will create unnecessarily tight seals.
Wtf are you talking about? Gaskets making unnecessarily tight seals? Wtf does that even mean? Are you saying that the thousands of people that use synthetic regularly in their wet clutch bikes are doing it wrong? Where did you hear this bs nonsense?

Synthetic is perfectly fine in our bikes.

You want to stay away from automotive oils because they have anti friction additives that will cause your clutch to slip.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
484 Posts
Mine was only 150, 300 bucks for the first service is absurd

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
$300 tells me everything I need to know about your dealer. I sure as hell hope he didn't rip you off on your bike too! 1st service should be in the vicinity of $140-170. Ring around and see what other dealers charge. When the dealer I purchased my bike from, took me for an idiot, it cost him my business!

DIY or maybe a fellow Ontarian can help you out...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts