Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I purchased a friend's Ninja 300 for cheap and have slowly been fixing it. I finally fixed it enough to ride and noticed that the handlebars are a bit crooked, and have to be turned to the right in order for the wheel to be straight. Also the wheel cover is off center. It was involved in a low speed drop on the right side. I was just wondering if this is an indication of the forks being bent,
or is it something easier/cheaper to fix?

I have attached some photos, but I can definitely take more if needed.

20210327_183606.jpg

·
Registered
332 Posts
something is tweaked up there...it looks like you have aftermarket clip ons. Probably best to get it to a shop for a look as that doesn't look safe to ride that way.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The tire and fairing should line up...

Take the fork tubes out. Sometimes they can get slightly twisted inside the upper and lower clamps, and this would tweak the fairing mount as well. Then you can see if the parts are straight. I rebuilt my forks recently, it was not hard. You could take it apart and then roll the fork tubes and parts on a glass surface to see if they are bent.

If the drop/crash was that slow, it is probably just misaligned and not bent. Mine has been dropped 5-6 times by previous owners, and I have no such issues. Don't base the front alignment on the clip ons, do that absolutely last. Start by loosening both triple clamps on the forks and go from there IMO.
Hope this helps!

-Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
The tire and fairing should line up...

Take the fork tubes out. Sometimes they can get slightly twisted inside the upper and lower clamps, and this would tweak the fairing mount as well. Then you can see if the parts are straight. I rebuilt my forks recently, it was not hard. You could take it apart and then roll the fork tubes and parts on a glass surface to see if they are bent.

If the drop/crash was that slow, it is probably just misaligned and not bent. Mine has been dropped 5-6 times by previous owners, and I have no such issues. Don't base the front alignment on the clip ons, do that absolutely last. Start by loosening both triple clamps on the forks and go from there IMO.
Hope this helps!

-Mike
Back in the day I low-sided my Ninja 250 and had that exact problem. I braced the wheel with my legs and twisted to bring the handlebars back into square. Not the best way to do it but it sounds like the same issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As the guys have mentioned above ^^ things get tweaked in a crash.

Ideal solution is to put the bike up on a headlift stand, support the front wheel, loosen all triple tree clamping bolts and the axle, re align and re torque. It's a fairly involved production that rarely actually happens but it is ideal.

Most people (myself included from time to time) put the front tire against something like a brick wall or trailer hitch and push against it until things straighten out. A couple of abrupt "twisty smacks" tend to do the trick. Don't dent the rim or your brake rotor while doing this.......but you get the idea.

PS: It takes a lot to bend those forks. I doubt that's the issue.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Most people (myself included from time to time) put the front tire against something like a brick wall or trailer hitch and push against it until things straighten out. A couple of abrupt "twisty smacks" tend to do the trick. Don't dent the rim or your brake rotor while doing this.......but you get the idea.
What's the conversion factor between "twisty smacks" and "ugga duggas"? 😆

1 - 7 of 7 Posts