Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried looking couldn't find it when I was looking at details on wrapping the pipes they all say they'll have an increase in horsepower from having hotter exhaust gasses making them less dense so they exit faster

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
56 Posts
wrapping exhaust is a great way to cause pipes to crack from excess heat. really not needed on a bike since when your moving the pipes are getting a lot of air flow keeping them cool.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's tempting, I can definitely feel the heat sometimes, the wrap is a bit pricey though. I'm not sure I like the idea of trapping heat into the stock pipes, seems like a potential problem for no real gain.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wrapped my trans am and the only reason I did it is to lower the temperature under the hood, I believe that is the only real benefit that being said it does not make sense for a bike.

Unless you rest your heal there ??

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
the heat you feel from this bike is almost unnoticeable , if you want to ride abike that when it gets hot it cooks your legs/feet, take a 2002 upwards vfr800 for a spin, the seat gets toasty hot, your right foot gets cooked from where the exhaust pipe comes near it and the cross flow radiator fan sucks in from the left and blows to the right & cooks your right thigh

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I wrapped my trans am and the only reason I did it is to lower the temperature under the hood, I believe that is the only real benefit that being said it does not make sense for a bike.

Unless you rest your heal there ??
Exactly this. Exhaust wraps are mainly for cars, especially turbos. Keeps under bonnet temps down as stated, all the heat stays in the pipe. Helps intake air temps to stay low.

On a bike, unless you are getting burnt by a particular hot part, it serves no purpose. This bike doesnt even get hot...........

·
Registered
630 Posts
Anyone wrap their headers?

edit: Looks like a mod merged my post into this thread. Old thread couldn't find it, thanks.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
the heat you feel from this bike is almost unnoticeable , if you want to ride abike that when it gets hot it cooks your legs/feet, take a 2002 upwards vfr800 for a spin, the seat gets toasty hot, your right foot gets cooked from where the exhaust pipe comes near it and the cross flow radiator fan sucks in from the left and blows to the right & cooks your right thigh
Or ride a Ducati.

Dave

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mira and I like to bounce around Colorado on the weekends and this last weekend was no exception; we went down to crawl around inside Bishop's Castle and stayed in a dinky little hotel in Colorado City, sampling the fare of tiny restaurants along the way.

On the way down, we stopped at a rest stop just north of Pueblo, and because it was hotter than Hell where we were, we stripped down to jeans and T's and snuggled up on the grass for a little nap; roundabout a half hour.

When we got back to the bikes, we knew something was wrong because there was a horrible burning smell permeating the air. Turned out that she'd draped her riding jacket and armoured pants over her saddlebags and the sleeve had fallen down and laid on the exhaust, after a solid hour of freeway riding. We've seen rain hit her bike's exhaust after that kind of ride and instantly evaporate.

After a half hour of cooking, the sleeve was still serviceable, but barely - there's a huge hole over her right wrist now, a ton of melted nylon mesh, and it looks like someone took a big bite out of the Velcro fastener. No armor damage, but she was pissed.

All that having been said - while neither of us ride a Ninja 300, the exhaust on *any* bike gets hot for a reason; it's diverting sleeve-melting, rain-evaporating heat away from your engine. Wrapping the exhaust will make this job more difficult, and will cause the exhaust to retain more heat, shortening the life of the exhaust system, and potentially damaging the engine.

If you don't give a damn about your bike and think a wrapped exhaust looks cool, knock yourself out, but if you plan on keeping your bike a while and bonding with it, I'd recommend against wrapping the exhaust.

·
Registered
543 Posts
As somewhat of a 'cruiser' rider (triumph bonneville) I think I can chime in. Exhaust wraps are for covering up the bluing of pipes. The heat causes the chrome pipes to blue and that's why they are wrapped (done today as a throwback to the old days when they didn't have the special chrome coating which prevents bluing).

The only reason I can think of why someone would wrap their liquid cooled bike's non-bluing exhaust is to look cool- you already have an entire system dedicated to cooling your bike properly, plus the air that air-cooled engines use exclusively for cooling. Your pipes will also not blue.

Me personally? I love the bluing of my pipes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts